Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Duet Acting Competition Pieces

Posted 11-25-2015 10:51

My high school drama students are currently trying to prepare for the local speech and debate competitions, but I'm having some trouble with them finding legitimate pieces for the Duet Acting category that are from full-length plays or One-Acts (not made-up, poorly-written 2 minute skits they find online). I know there are some great scenes out there for them to compete with. Any help/suggestions?

------------------------------
    Chad Hoy
    Theatre Director
    Memphis TN

• 2.  RE: Duet Acting Competition Pieces

Posted 11-25-2015 11:28

If you want classical there's always the tried and true Shakespeares (Shrew, Midsummer, JC, etc). If you're looking for something more contemporary I'd try Brad Slaight's shows (Class Action, Second Class, or Third Class). They're all set in the high school and deal with a variety of issues and include both comedic and dramatic options. There are some good group scenes and monologues as well.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: Duet Acting Competition Pieces

Posted 11-26-2015 20:32
    This is the age old problem of all of us. Start with 10 minute play books and compilation scene books. You can order scripts of scenes that you like from there.

Sent from my iPad

THIS TRANSMISSION IS INTENDED AND RESTRICTED FOR USE BY THE ABOVE ADDRESSEE ONLY. IT MAY CONTAIN CONFIDENTIAL AND/OR PRIVILEGED INFORMATION EXEMPT FROM DISCLOSURE UNDER FEDERAL OR STATE LAW. IN THE EVENT SOME OTHER PERSON OR ENTITY RECEIVES THIS TRANSMISSION, SAID RECIPIENT IS HEREBY NOTIFIED THAT ANY DISSEMINATION, DISTRIBUTION, OR DUPLICATION OF THIS TRANSMISSION OR ITS CONTENTS IS PROHIBITED. IF YOU SHOULD RECEIVE THIS TRANSMISSION IN ERROR, PLEASE CALL US IMMEDIATELY AT 309.827.6031, DELETE THE FILE FROM YOUR SYSTEM, AND DESTROY ANY HARD COPIES OF THIS TRANSMISSION. THANK YOU.

Bloomington Public Schools School District87
    Bloomington, Illinois

• 4.  RE: Duet Acting Competition Pieces

Posted 11-27-2015 09:53

HI there, 

There are some great short duologues listed here that my be useful. Many are newly written pieces so are fresh and challenging. 

Hope this is helpful - and good luck with your search. 

https://www.treepress.org/search?duration=short_play&cast_size_min=2&cast_size_max=2&chorus=false&gender=mix&keywords=&order=relevance 

Best,

Adrienne :O) 

Adrienne Ferguson
    Creative Director
    TreePress
    London. United Kingdom
    adrienne@treepress.org

www.treepress.org
    Making theatre easily accessible for everyone, everywhere.