Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  ADVICE FOR Brothers Grimm Spectaculathon - One Act

Posted 11-20-2015 10:15

Hi. I am new to teaching theater (5 days under my belt) and have inherited a class mid-semester that had just begun working on the play Brothers Grimm Spectaculathon (one act).  I want to help the students get a vision of the play--the big picture and the feel of it.  I'm looking for videos, images, set design, costume ideas, etc. of what others have done so that we can look at examples of how other people have done it in the past.  If anyone has anything they can share, I would be very appreciative! Thanks for anything you can offer.

------------------------------
    Lynn Heil

• 2.  RE:ADVICE FOR Brothers Grimm Spectaculathon - One Act

Posted 11-20-2015 16:25
    We did this show last year and had great fun. It can be done with very little set, or in our case, a pretty girl of sized one. We chose large only because I wanted them to see what working with a larger set is like. The costumes were a mish-mash, which works well for this show. Also, Don Zolidis is wonderful. Don't hesitate to contact him. I wish you the best with it!

-------------------------------------------
    Susan Tomlin
    Teacher/Theatre Director
    Madison Southern High School
    Berea KY
    -------------------------------------------

Sent via Higher Logic Mobile

• 3.  RE: ADVICE FOR Brothers Grimm Spectaculathon - One Act

Posted 11-21-2015 17:34

I hope the show is going well for you!

One other resource is to check Youtube. Over the years, a lot of schools have put videos of their productions on there (which sometimes drives playwrights nuts, but not me) - I searched for Spectaculathon, and there were 16,000 videos on Youtube, I'm sure not all of them were that show, but most of them are. (Wow!)

Obviously, don't copy what another school has done, but there are enough choices and different options on there to give you some good ideas!

Don

Don Zolidis
    Cedar Park TX

• 4.  RE: ADVICE FOR Brothers Grimm Spectaculathon - One Act

Posted 11-21-2015 21:32

Another way you can go about this or part of it, is to tap into your students creativity to answer many of these questions. My teacher Jacque Lecoq of Ecole Jacque Lecoq in Paris France, always told us. “Do first, then read about it.” You can ask the students, what ideas do you have for costumes, for x______ character? Who would like to work on creating costumes and who has ideas for costumes? These are our resources, budget or no budget. Asking them for ideas and putting them in charge of how they would like to present this, etc.

The other thing is, totally trust yourself and your ideas of how you feel it could be done and be open to change. One thing about theater, it is alive, it is full of risk and a major part of theater, there are no guarantees ever. The safety nets of creativity are illusions.

That said, I know New York Public Library and Museum for the Performing Arts at Lincoln Center has a wealth of videos, books and more of every type of show you can imagine. Not sure what part of the world you are in, but if you cannot find what you are looking for online there is the national lending library system where you can get books i.e., from the New York Public Library transferred to you local library. You local library will know how to do this and they may have some of these things you are looking for. Have fun.

Stanley Allan Sherman

Custom theater mask maker, Commedia dell'Arte masks & workshops. NYC winter holiday workshops and summer workshops, Commedia dell'Arte expert, teacher, mime, movement, actor, director, performer, producer of workshops and shows.
    Mask Arts Company  www.maskarts.com
    New York NY  
    stanley@maskarts.com 212-255-2882
    Roving Classical Commedia University* (*totally unaccredited) www.commediau.com il-dottore@commediau.com 

• 5.  RE: ADVICE FOR Brothers Grimm Spectaculathon - One Act

Posted 11-21-2015 23:37

Lynn, I just completed my second production of the full show. I did it as my introduction show to the high school in December 2011 and wrapped it up last weekend here in November 2015. I'll do it every five years so all kids have a chance to act in it.

E-mail me with any questions.  I can send you photos and other things we did. 

Jared Grigsby
    English and Journalism Teacher / Drama Director
    MSD of Boone Township
    Hebron IN