Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Midsummer Jersey

Posted 11-18-2015 10:01

Hi everyone!

I have been thrown a few curves this year in regards to casting, but we are nothing if not adaptable, right?  So, I am looking at Midsummer Jersey due to some casting flexibility and doubling.  I would love to hear from anyone who has done or seen this show with praise, concerns or special challenges.

We did The Game's Afoot last year and we really love Ken Ludwig's work.  My kids really "get" his humor and want more.  I hope this might work.

Thanks in advance for any input!

Georgann

------------------------------
    Georgann Lanich
    Tallulah Falls GA

• 2.  RE: Midsummer Jersey

Posted 11-19-2015 07:13

We did this show for our Fall play and it was a huge success! Lots of fun and hilarious. Plus, it really helps segue discussions for Shakespeare, particularly for students who have a difficult time understanding him. The kids had a great time doing it and I had a wonderful time directing it! 

Allison Stroud
    Drama Teacher
    Jacksonville FL

• 3.  RE: Midsummer Jersey

Posted 11-19-2015 16:56

We did Midsummer/Jersey two years ago, and I loved it! 

To answer your question about doubling, we had to do some of that to condense.  Hippolyta, Phyllis, Justine, and Rufus also played fairies, and we had to reduce the number of fairies overall to six, but it worked just fine.  The school principal was played by one of the hairdressers.

I didn't have any tech help that year, so we made the set super simple.  We put two double-sided flats on wheels and painted one side as the hair salon and the other as the changing hut.  Then, we strung up as many strands of single-color Christmas lights as we could find, which the fairies turned on during their party and remained on for all the forest scenes and the very end.

The biggest challenge for my students was the accent.  We worked on it, but some of them were still pretty spotty.

Meredith Zandi
    Drama Teacher
    Seattle Lutheran High School
    Seattle WA

• 4.  RE: Midsummer Jersey

Posted 11-21-2015 16:08

The show was presented at the VA Thespian Conference a few years ago and everyone loved it.

Tammy Smith
    Virginia Beach VA