Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Convincing admin to produce Rent

Posted 11-17-2015 15:37

We are considering producing Rent next year and I already know I'll get some push back.  

Any advice, or advocacy steps you would take?  What would be your talking points? 

thanks,

------------------------------
    Nathan Shewell
    Theatre Arts Director
    Indianapolis IN

• 2.  RE: Convincing admin to produce Rent

Posted 11-18-2015 10:37

I directed RENT in 2009.  The underlying theme of the show doesn’t promote drug use, prostitution, nor homosexuality.  These characteristics are only the context in which the theme of the value of life and the elevation of each moment is shared with actors and audience alike.  For teenagers, who by their nature feel they are can survive all risks, it is an eye opener that helps with their decision-making which is somewhat jaded by their age.  If you go to youtube.com and search for RENT TOO GAY FOR HIGH SCHOOLS? you’ll see a news report including my show that was made during tech week by an affiliate of CBS News after a front page New York Times article discussed this very issue.  To be clear, we performed RENT: School Edition, not the full Broadway version.

David Kramer
    Mt Sinai NY

• 3.  RE: Convincing admin to produce Rent

Posted 11-18-2015 15:13
    I'm not even allowed to do Little Shop of Horrors.......sigh.....

--
    Tonya Hall Bowyer

Director of Theatre Arts
    Radford High School
    (540) 731-3649

This email is confidential and may well be legally privileged.  If you have received it in error, you are on notice of its status.  Please notify me immediately by reply email and delete this message from your system.  Please do not copy, use for any purpose, or disclose its contents to any other person.  To do so could violate state and federal privacy laws.

• 4.  RE: Convincing admin to produce Rent

Posted 11-19-2015 10:15

It will really depend on the culture of your school and the comfort level of the parents and district. I would contact some of the parents of the kids who are in your program and ask them if they have any concerns personally, or if they can think of any concerns that other adults they know might have. Come up with valid supportive reasons BEFORE you go to your administration. And bring notes with you so you don't miss anything and so it's obvious that you've given this thought before discussing it. Your admin may still say no but at least you're aware that you were as prepared as possible when discussing this. I'd also have a back-up production that you are planning to do in case the answer is no. That will also show your admin that you spent time preparing for this possibility as well. That may help set you up for future "push back" with your admin. Pick your battles. If the answer on this issue is "no", is there another issue you can address at the same time that you're more likely to get approved? You may be able to get a different subject approved because the "Rent" issue was denied.

Good luck. :) (and don't forget to mention that you want to do the School Edition of the show)

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 5.  RE: Convincing admin to produce Rent

Posted 11-20-2015 10:07

We did Rent, School Edition in 2009.  I've included this Stage Directions article about how we got the community and administration to buy-in, as well as our permission slip for parents, with key contact info redacted.  Feel free to borrow any and all of this document which is useful to you.  Best of luck.  And make sure you really, really take care of your young singer's voices.  It's a rock show and if they aren't breathing right, they will blow out their voices after the first week of technicals.   Don't lose sight of whether the artistic material is appropriate for their level of craft in seeking to slay the "but the content is appropriate for our kids" dragon.  

HERE YOU GO:  

PLEASE TURN THIS IN TO THE STAGE MANAGER WHEN YOU COME TO AUDITIONS

You do not need to have this signed to audition, you do need to have it signed before we can cast you. 

Casting will happen on September 16th 

September 7, 2009

Dear Parents,

Your child has expressed interest in being involved with our fall production by attending auditions this week after school. We feel it is important to inform parents before we cast their child that  “RENT, School Edition” contains mature themes and language.  The show chronicles the lives of seven artists in NYC’s Greenwich village.   The musical is a rock opera that is an modern update of the Puccini opera, “La Boheme.”  The show contains mild profanity, several characters have AIDS and/or are heroin addicts, one character is a transsexual and there are both heterosexual and homosexual romantic plotlines.  This show will be advertised with a PG-13 (language) /R (for content) rating and we will require children under the age of thirteen attending the show are accompanied by a parent.  Please have a discussion with your child concerning the content of this show and contact me with any concerns.   We also invite you to peruse the script at your local bookstore or rent the film “RENT” for a clearer picture of the content. (The school edition cuts all “f” words and cuts the second verse of “La Vie Boheme”, as well as the entire song and action surrounding the song “Contact.”) You may e-mail Hope Hynes Love at  HYPERLINK "mailto:hhynes@chccs.k12.nc.us"hlove@chccs.k12.nc.us with any questions or concerns. 

Please sign below to indicate that these discussions have taken place and that you have given your child permission to participate in this show. No child will be penalized for choosing not to participate in this show for any reason and no child will be cast without a signed parent permission slip. 

Hope Hynes Love, Director

308-3133,    HYPERLINK "mailto:hhynes@chccs.k12.nc.us"hlove@chccs.k12.nc.us

RETURN THIS LETTER BY TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 16th, 2009

I, _________________________, have discussed with my child,_________________________________,  concerning the content of this show. 

I, ___________________________, have thoroughly discussed the content of RENT with my parent and I guarantee they were fully and specifically informed about the PG-13 content of RENT before I asked them to sign above.  

Hope Love

• 6.  RE: Convincing admin to produce Rent

Posted 11-20-2015 12:19

I would ask yourself first why you want to do Rent?  In the last week of our run of Rent, I have come to some conclusions about the show itself.  

It's not a very good libretto.  Ask anyone who just walks in and sees it without knowing much about the musical and they'd be hard-pressed to give you the basic plot line when it's over.  The characters spend a great deal of time scream-singing over each other really important plot points and character development, to the point where most of the show is unintelligible.

The characters aren't particularly likable, and quite often I find myself having no feelings of connection or empathy for any of them.

The music, while catchy in places, and downright iconic in a few (Seasons of Love), is overall repetitive, and (especially in act 2) mostly clunky and un-musical-y.  

The ending is improbable, unbelievable and perhaps even laughable.  And the show as the School Edition is still about 40 MINUTES TOO LONG.

It stirs up controversy.  Even at our fairly progressive school there were some members of the community who took great exception to our performing this musical.  Several years ago another local high school did it and it ended up in a lawsuit.  (Eventually the courts decided in the school's favor, but what a major energy waste that was.)

It's very difficult.  VERY difficult.  My sound guy (who is one of the best in the business here in Vegas) has worked with us for nearly a decade and he said that this show was BY FAR the most difficult he ever put together.  It's wireless mics, it's mixing a rock band, it's a backline monitor system, it's video projection, it's LOUD.  High school students are being made to sing like adults, and often the show sounds less-than-honest and immature out of the mouths of high school-aged singers.  It's also very strenuous to sing, and we have been nursing our actors through the production.

Not to be a killjoy on this one, but I have found that even a successful and popular production of Rent (and ours was pretty dang good) it's still not very theatrically satisfying, especially as performed by teenagers.  Some shows just don't work with teenagers.  I'd recommend Quilt: A Musical Celebration if you want to have a good, engaging conversation about HIV and AIDS, compassion, tolerance and loss.  And you can actually understand and feel empathy for those characters.  They're more - REAL.

So there's my 2¢.  Like I said, it's being well-received, but will probably go down as unmemorable and ultimately unsatisfying when it's all sung and done.  I sound like a hater, but being in the thick of it right now, I still wish we had gone another way, and chosen a more high-school appropriate show to broach a discussion about these deep, complicated and mature social issues.

John Morris
    Instructor/Technical Director
    Clark County School District
    Las Vegas NV

• 7.  RE: Convincing admin to produce Rent

Posted 11-21-2015 09:09

I'm writing to be the yang to Mr. Morris' yin. We produced RENT: School Edition in 2011 and found it to be a wonderful, worthwhile experience for our school community.

It was a hard sell, initially, to our administration, who did not look forward to answering questions from our parent body (that did not need to happen, by the way. The parents were wonderful!) and our musical director who was not too keen on doing a rock show, and instead recommended something by Rodgers and Hammerstein or Gilbert and Sullivan. But he too came around once we began work on the show.

When it came time for auditions, we had kids showing up who'd never been in a production before. They just wanted to be a part of RENT. So we had an enthusiastic cast with a wider range of abilities than we usually get.  I had decided to cap the cast number at 25, knowing that our approach to the material would require a greater amount of trust and support than our last production, Anything Goes, did. 

I contacted an organization that works with the  homeless and asked if they could send someone to talk to the cast about homelessness in the city (we are just outside of DC, which has a large homeless population with a high percentage being HIV-positive. The shelter representative knew the show and tailored her remarks to address those issues raised in the libretto.) I contacted the local HIV/AIDS organization who also presented to the cast. We agreed to having both these groups, along with the the Marfan Foundation, set up tables in the lobby during performances.

Our biggest challenge, which we tackled right from the start, was getting our kids who were very familiar with the show, the movie, and the cast album to see the show in a new light and to really find ways to connect to the content instead of relying on their preconceived ideas. We did a lot of work right off the bat on Seasons of Love, which they all knew but never really considered. Once they really understood it, what it was about, and what it meant to each cast member personally, it became a galvanizing element in our rehearsals and warm-ups. 

I worked very hard to create OUR production of RENT. No ugly scarf for Mark. No hat for Collins. No Santa dress and zebra stockings for Angel. (We played the character as a "club kid"- very androgynous- and appropriate for the time period. It made it easier for a high school boy to fully invest in the character. ) I worked with the students to discover their interpretations of the characters and find costumes that worked. The ensemble played homeless people, entering the theatre in character from the lobby with the audience, finding their way to the stage. 

We spent a lot of time working with the students on vocal projection, on appropriate ways to support their voices, and on ways to take care of their voices. By the time we came to production week, the kids knew how to warm up, sense the onset of vocal strain, and respond to it. They came out of the production better singers than when they went in. 

We found the characters to be very relatable once they were put into context. The libretto deals so well with loneliness, fear of rejection, isolation, and the overwhelming need for friendship and love, subjects that are on the minds of many high school students. That's where we started to build the characters. 

I agree with Mr. Morris that the ending is pretty tough to pull off believably. We spent way too much time trying to nuance Mimi's "death" and not make it so improbable and possibly funny. We found a way to make it work better, although no one was 100% sold on it. 

One of our students approached me about filming a documentary about the making of our production. He worked from the premise that this show would push our students outside their comfort zones and have them discover things about themselves that, through the production process, they'd be willing to share with each other and with our audiences. He filmed every rehearsal, from the auditions through to the warm-ups on opening night. (He did not film the shows.) After we closed, he arranged to meet with each member of the cast, crew, and creative team to interview them about their experience. We watched the documentary, 2 hours +, about 3 months after we closed. Our kids were honest and self-critical, talking about how working on such a challenging show, with challenging material and a challenging score, helped them to understand themselves and our school community. 

For us, doing RENT: School Edition was an important and memorable experience. At the end, we had stronger actors, stronger singers, and a stronger, more empathetic community. 

Michael Bergman
    Teacher/Director
    Alexandria VA

• 8.  RE: Convincing admin to produce Rent

Posted 11-21-2015 12:39

I'm glad you had a gratifying experience. Sounds like you really engaged your students and community. Nice job!

John Morris
    Instructor/Technical Director
    Clark County School District
    Las Vegas NV

• 9.  RE: Convincing admin to produce Rent

Posted 11-22-2015 10:37

Rent can be a powerful piece. It has the same effect on its cast as Hair. A sort of tribal emotional bond is created. I did it at our local Jewish Community Center youth theatre and it was a hit -even with that conservative audience. Kids pushed themselves to honor the story. 

To me all theatre is about telling the story. This is an important story, especially to my generation. When it is approached as such, with heart and honor, it is successful. If treated as a musical showcase it is empty and just flashy for its own sake. There are certain musicals I won't do because the story is weak and characters are shallow. 

But how to convince admin that this is a story your kids should tell at this time? Have them and their parent write letters to admin about why they want to do the show. Sit down with admin and watch the movie together. Have your drama officers pitch the show as a presentation to admin like we would in NYC to real producers. 

If admin is unrelenting, make it well known that it was them who shot it down, and encourage parents to pitch it again next year. Hope this helps. I have never had to defend a show to admin. Part of me considers myself lucky because of this, and part of me is saddened that they've never paid close enough attention to care. 

Scott Hasbrouck
    George Washington HS
    Denver, CO

• 10.  RE: Convincing admin to produce Rent

Posted 11-27-2015 21:04

Plenty of issues to deal with in this Pulitzer Prize for Drama winner.

But I don't think transsexuality is one of them.

I've always thought of Angel as a gay man who cross-dresses. More along the lines of a drag queen, and not someone looking to have a procedure to change gender.

Michael McDonough
    New York NY