Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Theater textbooks

Posted 11-14-2015 17:18

We are doing a textbook adoption for theater, specifically for IB theater-what are your favorites for theater history, acting styles, directing, and devising theater?  I have contacted a variety of publishers but have not received many books to consider.  Any recommendations for publishers to contact?  Thanks.

------------------------------
    Kathy Cannnarozzi Harris
    Theater Director - Mission Viejo HS
    VAPA Coordinator K-12
    Saddleback Valley USD
    Mission Viejo, CA

• 2.  RE: Theater textbooks

Posted 11-15-2015 08:00

I've looked at many texts over the years and still the best overall textbook for me has been Basic Drama Projects by Perfection Learning Company.  Here's a link to the website and their information on the book: http://www.perfectionlearning.com/basic-drama-projects

Rick Bodick
    Theatre Director
    Troy High School
    Troy, MI

• 3.  RE: Theater textbooks

Posted 11-16-2015 09:30

There are a lot of good textbooks out there... IB depending on the slant and "requirements" is a different kettle of fish as the curriculum seems to be more "academic" with little emphasis on production.  A great way to slide performance in is with the Stage and the school by Omny and Shanker (McGraw Hill) with Theatre Collaborative acts by Wainscott and Fletcher (Pearson).

Happy reading....

Robert Holter
    Helena MT

• 4.  RE: Theater textbooks

Posted 11-19-2015 20:35

The Essential Theatre is a pretty good read, giving a good history of performances of Western theatre as well as other world theatre. Wadsworth is the publisher. 

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Hillsborough County Schools
    Ruskin FL

• 5.  RE: Theater textbooks

Posted 11-24-2015 12:23

Hello! I just ordered a set of Basic Drama Projects, 9th edition, by Perfection Learning.

I also ordered the teacher's guide. It is a really great guide to beginning & advanced theatre,

technical theater, and includes hand-on projects, plus it looks great. It includes diverse models,

playwrights, and examples. Hope that helps. I also LOVE Gai Jones' books. especially Raising the Curtain,

which I also ordered through Perfection Learning.

The website is Perfection Learning - Perfect for YOUR Classroom

Perfectionlearning remove preview

Perfection Learning - Perfect for YOUR Classroom

View this on Perfectionlearning >

Take care, Juliette

Juliette Beck
    Head of Theatre, Teacher, Troupe Director
    Albuquerque NM