Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  How the Grinch Stole Christmas

Posted 11-12-2015 07:28
    Our students are putting on a couple 5 minute skits for a show and would like one of them to be The Grinch. Has anyone done a scene from this, and if so, which one/section/part did you pick? Costuming ideas would be appreciated too - need quick changes and fairly simple make up as its a variety show and kids are in multiple acts.
    Thanks,
    Karen S
    Marietta, GA

Note: "This message is intended only for the use of the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by telephone and/or e-mail."

• 2.  RE: How the Grinch Stole Christmas

Posted 11-13-2015 08:17

I've done a fully staged 20 minute version similar to the movie.  It's okay, but the kids are trying so hard to imitate Jim Carey and the other people in the movie, that it felt kind of "cold."

However, the most successful versions I've done (and seen from other groups) is a straight-up Reader's Theatre version of the text as written by Dr. Seuss.  I'd suggest:

2 or 3 narrators.  They can play it simply as themselves or as characters (i.e., Santa and Mrs. Clause, Story Telling Elves, snooty College Professors, etc.).  You can have them read from the script on music stands or have them memorize their lines.

These folks will then "act out" the story. No props or furniture are needed.  Mime skills will be required.

1 Grinch - your best physical actor who will also speak all of the Grinch's lines (best if memorized).  Try using just a simple green shirt and dark pants.  If he/she is good enough, an elaborate (and expensive) Grinch Costume won't be necessary.  However I've found that using a simple Santa Coat and Hat is very useful and fun.  Also, you won't need green make up - just have the actor constantly grimace and move in a "Grinchy" manner.

1 actor to play Max and Cindy Lou Who (simple wigs, dog ears, and antlers that can be quickly changed as needed).

This is a fun way to fill a 5-10 minute spot as needed.

Break a leg!

------------------------------
    Josh Ruben
    Fine Arts Head, Northwest Whitfield
    Chattanooga TN

• 3.  RE: How the Grinch Stole Christmas

Posted 11-19-2015 11:28

We did this one year as a children's show. I actually typed out a script based on the book. I had 2 narrators and a slew of characters. I am at a professional day right now, but if you email me, I can send you a copy (I am pretty sure that I have it saved somewhere)

clittle@trschools.com

------------------------------
    Carolyn Little
    New Jersey Chapter Director
    High School English Teacher
    Toms River Board of Education
    Beachwood NJ