Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Lettering in Drama

Posted 11-10-2015 09:26

I want to apologize right off - I have a few posts to make where I need help and advice. I'm sorry to blow up the feed.

I have several parents who are coming to me about lettering in drama. Do any of you do this? I'm trying to get the lettering information worked out, but I'm shaky.

Luckily, both my athletic director and principal are supportive of using the school's current letterman jacket for drama, just for me to have a letter that is stylistically different than what is currently used for athletics. 

What parameters do you all set for for lettering in drama? Do you use the 10 points to be a Thespian and then have that serve as a letter? I'm open to all sorts of ideas. Here at my school, athletics, band, choir, dance, and cheerleading all have different requirements for their letters.

Thank you all.

Best,

Jared Grigsby

grigsbyj@HebronSchools.k12.in.us

------------------------------
    Jared Grigsby
    English and Journalism Teacher / Drama Director
    MSD of Boone Township
    Hebron IN

• 2.  RE: Lettering in Drama

Posted 11-11-2015 05:33

Hi Jared,

Here at my school (Lake Central, just down the road a bit from you!), we have done theatre lettering for about 10 years now.  The letter is our standard school letter, but the masks of comedy and tragedy are embroidered on one corner.  In this way, the letter identifies them as a Lake Central student, but also identifies the work they have specialized in.

To qualify, we require two years of activity (at least one show each year), and 20 Thespian Points.  In this way, it's an honor above induction, and gives  many sophomores something to work towards, since many of our inductees are freshmen.

Of course, if you want something that screams Thespians more, EdTA offers a number of patches as well in the online store.

Hope this helps!

Ray

Raymond Palasz
    English/Theatre Faculty; Thespian Troupe Director
    Lake Central High School
    Schererville IN

• 3.  RE: Lettering in Drama

Posted 11-11-2015 05:38

Our district uses the same letter for all, with small patches denoting what the letter was earned in, IE masks for theatre.

Our district does 10 points for Thespians, 30 points for letter, with one competition and three other plays, 45 points and B average for honor cords at graduation.

Hope this helps

Greg Alldredge
    Head Director
    Cypress TX

• 4.  RE: Lettering in Drama

Posted 11-11-2015 08:21
      |   view attached

I got permission to give Letters in Drama and I'm attaching the "List of Criteria".

We give the same letter kids get for sports, band, and all other school activities (builds a sense of community and support amongst all the activities).  However, since the cost of letter jackets is so high, we offer an "old school" varsity letter cardigan sweater for Drama kids.  The kids love it and their parents appreciate the sense of tradition it conveys.  Even our administration likes it because it's classy but still in keeping with traditional school colors and style.

Break a leg with it!

Josh Ruben
    Fine Arts Head, Northwest Whitfield
    Chattanooga TN

Attachment(s)

pdf
    Letter Criteria.pdf   38 KB 1 version

• 5.  RE: Lettering in Drama

Posted 11-12-2015 09:00

This is a timely discussion for our school, as we are trying to implement something more than a 'thanks for showing up you get a letter' mentality.

Lori Constable
    Teacher; director of Drama
    Independent District 112
    Chanhassen MN

• 6.  RE: Lettering in Drama

Posted 11-11-2015 10:38

HI Jared,

I think it's great that you school is open to recognizing the contribution of theatre students with a Letter! That is a compliment and a acknowledgment of respect to you, your students and the quality of your theatre program.

Our program has a simple procedure for Lettering in Theatre. Students must be inducted in ITS and participate in four shows - 1 show must be a performance role and 1 show must be a technical role, the other two are up to the interest and strengths of the student. However, when we first decided to provide the opportunity to students, I chose to have a drama club meeting and let the students have input regarding the criteria. It was a great conversation and the student generated authentic enthusiasm and ownership of the requirements. My opening question "What qualities should represent outstanding contributions and leadership in the Theatre program?" It was a gratifying and rewarding discussion to witness. 

Congratulation!

Jeannie Brzovic
    Lake Forest Park WA

• 7.  RE: Lettering in Drama

Posted 11-12-2015 10:02

We just began a lettering program this year and it is very exciting.  We designed our own jacket and letter to be distinct from other school activities, but common in the colors used.  It has the school letter on front with the ITS patch on the sleeves.

We require ITS membership and 1) participation in a GHSA competition event or 2) Honor Thespian status or 3) recommendation  by the director for exceptional service to the program...which I do not give out lightly.  We also have a patch that can be added to athletic jackets when an actor/athlete achieves letter status in our program.

Students may attach Thespian stars, honor pins or officer pins to their jacket in the appropriate places.

Hope this helps!

Georgann Lanich
    Tallulah Falls GA

• 8.  RE: Lettering in Drama

Posted 11-12-2015 14:22

I teach at the district performing arts magnet. All our students are eligible for a letter after two years of classes with A or B, and performances (one each year for drama, two each year for music).

Ellen Di Filippo
    Tracy CA

• 9.  RE: Lettering in Drama

Posted 11-16-2015 07:20

Our administration is very supportive of offering a letter for drama, and other clubs and activities.  This would be a terrific movement that might enhance the status of non-athletic activities at our very sports-oriented school.

In concept I agree with most postings here about drama letters that the standard should be higher than invitation to Thespian Society, i.e. 20-30 points plus some number of shows plus two years involvement plus...  

What concerns me is how this compares to athletics when students who play varsity sports earn their letter after only one season.  Does this detract from the value of activities letters?  Does it continue to promote the idea that athletics are better or more important than other activities?  What do students think about this in schools with the "higher" standard for a drama letter?

Thank you!

Rick Osann
    Theatre Teacher
    Standish ME

• 10.  RE: Lettering in Drama

Posted 11-21-2015 23:26

Thank you all so much for your feedback. There are so many good ideas here. I will take this back to my current Thespians and get the dialogue started. 

The throwback sweater is an awesome idea!

Jared Grigsby
    English and Journalism Teacher / Drama Director
    MSD of Boone Township
    Hebron IN