Open Forum

View Only

Double Casting the Lead Role--thoughts? Suggestions?

• 1.  Double Casting the Lead Role--thoughts? Suggestions?

Posted 11-09-2015 20:46

Hi everyone!

I am thinking of double casting the lead role in our spring musical and would love to hear your thoughts on the pros/ cons/ challenges of doing so, as well as any suggestions you might have for getting through successfully. As we all know, it can be so hard to choose between two students at times, though I can usually do it (after inordinate amounts of agonizing). This time, however, I feel that each of these two students would really grow in this particular role and want to give them both the opportunity to do so. We are given two performance nights, so I was thinking that one student could perform the role one night and, obviously, the other student would perform the next night. Since I have never done this before, though, I am sure there are so many things I am not considering! If you have ever double-cast a role and have advice to share, I am all ears!

Many thanks!
    Tasha

------------------------------
    Tasha Partee
    Upper School Theatre Teacher
    Lawrence Woodmere Academy
    New York NY

• 2.  RE: Double Casting the Lead Role--thoughts? Suggestions?

Posted 11-10-2015 06:28

With only 2 nights of performance, I think this is a bad idea, for the fact that you need to rehearse both performers equally, this could make your entire production suffer, also with only a 2 night run is it fair to the performer, I know at times it is tough but we are training for life as well, and the only place where you may have an understudy is Broadway or Regional theatre or an emergency.

I would cast one of the 2 and cast the other in another role so they can fully dedicate their time to glowing in the roles not splitting time to achieve just the best time can offer.

Jerry Onik
    V.P. Theatrical Supplies and Equipment
    Omaha NE

• 3.  RE: Double Casting the Lead Role--thoughts? Suggestions?

Posted 11-10-2015 07:47

I can't think of a production where I didn't double cast whenever possible. The pros (for me) far outweighed the cons:

1.If one student misses a rehearsal, rehearsal can still go on

2. Students grow by watching others perform the same part (even if interpretations are different). I always stressed that doubles should look at their relationship, not as competitive, but as cooperative. When not on stage, I had them out in the hall running lines together, working on motivations,working on blocking, etc.

3. Ticket sales are directly related to how many people are in the cast (if that is a concern).

The only cons I can think of (that I experienced) had to do with #2 above - where I didn't nip the competition in the bud and egos got in the way.

Kristie Bach
    Retired Theatre Teacher
    Traverse City MI

• 4.  RE: Double Casting the Lead Role--thoughts? Suggestions?

Posted 11-10-2015 08:28

Pros = Built in understudies (in the event of something catastrophic that prevented a student from performing or even an absence from rehearsal)

Also, depending on the actors, I've had experiences in which students learned and grew a lot from each other in the rehearsal.  I've even had the "off" actor act as the personal assistant to the performing one (particularly if the role requires intricate props or costumes--who knows the role better).  Of course, all of this runs counter to the old narrative about resentments and undermining between actors sharing a sharing a role. Depends on the disposition of the students.

Major con =  Rehearsing takes MUCH longer, and, in worst case scenarios, it can feel like both actors are underprepared.

I echo the earlier comment that complicating the rehearsal process for two performances seems like an awful lot of work.  

We used to double cast as a rule (traditionally we had four performances of our big musical).  As that number was cut to three we moved to a primary/understudy paradigm with the understudy getting the matinee.  But, in recent years, we've begun moving away from double-casting for our musical entirely.  Despite the pros I mentioned, rehearsals (ugh, tech week) are so much more efficient when everyone's focus is not split (we have even taken the crazy step in the past of having the lead actor who was not performing in a given performance follow a chorus track--which does have the potential to teach some nice lessons--e.g. sometimes you're the lead, sometimes you're in the chorus, but you have to give your all either way--but it makes rehearsals VERY logistically hard.) 

Ryan Moore
    Theatre Teacher and Forensics Coach
    Royal Oak MI

• 5.  RE: Double Casting the Lead Role--thoughts? Suggestions?

Posted 11-10-2015 10:07

In my high school, we typically double cast the lead role (especially for females) when there are two strong, deserving students who would do well with the part.  For us, though, we have a four-night run, so each student has two performances instead of one.  Double casting always seems to be a good solution to problems, particularly if we planned on casting someone who has a lot of potential but little experience.  And usually, we rely on the two leads to do work with each other outside of rehearsals to perfect their performances.  I find double casting an especially good idea if one person is more of a risk to cast than the other.  Personally, I travel a lot, so my director has a lot of security in double casting me with someone she knows will always be here for the rehearsals.  Last year, we did Once On This Island, and double casted Ti Moune because there were two very strong seniors who both deserved the part.  It worked out great, and allowed us to clean the slate for re-casting this year as we bring the show to our State Conference.  With that said, I agree with the cons listed from other's responses, and I wish you luck in this process!

Grace Alt
    ITO Vice Chair
    Wyndmoor PA

• 6.  RE: Double Casting the Lead Role--thoughts? Suggestions?

Posted 11-10-2015 11:20

Last spring, we double cast all the leads in The Wizard of Oz without a hitch.  It didn't take any longer for us to rehearse, both casts were incredibly strong, and actually built up healthy competition to "out do" each other.

We also double cast 1 role in our fall production last year which had a 2 night run.  In that scenario, we still didn't have to alter our rehearsal time, but both actors were new to the stage.  In this case, it gave both boys a chance to experience being in a play, both had the spotlight for 1 night, and since they were both new and slightly nervous about the whole thing, it gave me coverage just in case one of them changed their mind and quit.  (Both of them are now very active members in our Thespian troupe.)

While I don't love doubling all the time, I have absolutely no problem with doing it on occasion, especially when there are 2 equally talented/deserving actors.  

Annie Rice
    Spring Hill TN

• 7.  RE: Double Casting the Lead Role--thoughts? Suggestions?

Posted 11-10-2015 14:45

I have frequently double cast, but I have never done it for just 2 performances.  I have created a matinee cast when we've had matinees.  I think this is a very difficult situation and I empathize, as I also agonize inordinately over my final decisions.  Seniority would rule here, I think.

This may be too crazy for your students, but if I found myself with two equally good seniors, and if they were not already mortal enemies, I would tell them that I have to pick only one of them, or else I could give each one a performance, and then see which way they decide.  Sort of a King Solomon decision, I guess.  Best of luck!

Bonnie Wilson
    Scottsdale AZ

• 8.  RE: Double Casting the Lead Role--thoughts? Suggestions?

Posted 11-10-2015 15:49

I don't double cast but I do use swings for all of my shows (and for really large casts I will have 2 for each sex). I've had shows where they were needed. I don't like understudies because I feel like they should have the opportunity to perform (so it can go on their resume), but I don't like taking performances away from the main cast. The swing has taken care of both issues. There is inevitably an issue on one performance and the swing has to cover. In the last 2 years I've had 2 swings perform as 2 major characters during the run because of emergencies.  Hope this helps! :)

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 9.  RE: Double Casting the Lead Role--thoughts? Suggestions?

Posted 07-13-2018 19:53
    Hello.  How are you distinguishing the role of a "swing" actor from the role of being an "understudy?"  Thank you.

Julie Hanisch
    English/Drama Teacher/PAC Manager
    Mukwonago WI

• 10.  RE: Double Casting the Lead Role--thoughts? Suggestions?

Posted 11-10-2015 20:34

In my 21 years, I have never once double-cast a role...not a lead, not supporting, not ensemble. Also, I've never had a lead miss a performance for any reason. So, the claims of "what if someone gets hurt or gets sick" are really not valid.

Your lead is only going to have 1/2 the rehearsal time to prepare the character. I don't understand why directors are so amenable to having their most important character have less run and rehearsal time.

Also, you are GOING TO HAVE kids (and probably audience members) comparing the two performers. They will find out "who everyone thinks is best." It's going to happen.

My opinion is...make the tough choice and cast 1 person. Sometimes you get the part, sometimes you don't...it's an important lesson. I would rather have all of those double-cast kids in supporting roles as opposed to having them not in the show 1/2 the time.

Joe King
    Theatre Director
    School District of Shorewood
    Shorewood WI

• 11.  RE: Double Casting the Lead Role--thoughts? Suggestions?

Posted 11-13-2015 17:38

In 22 years, I have had three times when a lead missed one or more shows. 1 for serious illness, 1 for serious injury (broke his arm During The Show), and 1 for a car accident on the way to the theater. Maybe I've been unlucky,  maybe Joe has been lucky,  but I would never say having a back-up, whether a double-cast or an understudy, was a waste.

I have double-cast twice, both for 2 shows apiece  (we normally run three). I also did both the male and female versions of Odd Couple on alternate nights.  I had the doubles work on trouble spots, or run lines, the days they weren't rehearsing onstage. All actors were fully prepared,  And the shows were great (our usual quality ).

Michael Corliss
    Livonia MI

• 12.  RE: Double Casting the Lead Role--thoughts? Suggestions?

Posted 11-11-2015 07:51

Good Morning

This is a great question and one that I have seen done both ways. Currently I direct our full season (3 shows) and I do not double cast for any production. Our HS shows are each 4 performances and our MS show is 2 performances. For a run that is so short, I don't feel it is necessary to double cast. I have worked at other venues where the run was 6-8 performances and the director double casted. From that experience, it did double the rehearsal process, one cast was always stronger, competition crept in and when it was dealt with turned ugly, audience size was also slightly affected. The stronger female lead had larger crowds. Audiences were vocal about one performance that was better and created some negative feelings by the other girl who was double cast. 

I hope this information helps. I wish you much luck, regardless of what you decide to do.

All my best,

James Fry
    Director of Student Life & Malvern Theatre Society
    West Chester PA

• 13.  RE: Double Casting the Lead Role--thoughts? Suggestions?

Posted 11-11-2015 11:36

I do both depending on the talent pool that I have.  Double casting is great because it gives more students a chance to grow and learn.   After all, when all is said and done, this is educational theatre and it should be about the student.  When I taught at a private school, the competition was fierce until I explained that If I did not double cast, one of them would not be in the role. Then they began to understand.  I am now t a public school and the students love the idea that they can have a chance to be in a role that perhaps they would not  have gotten if they show was not double cast.  It does help immensely when a student is absent, because you have a automatic replacement. you may consider lengthening the run with a double cast as I do, 2 nights for each cast and it actually brings in more money as each student brings in his/ her own audience.  It well pays for the additional royalty. I find that double casting  takes a bit more time but, I have always had success with it.  Break legs!! 

Nina Zakrzewski
    Davie FL

• 14.  RE: Double Casting the Lead Role--thoughts? Suggestions?

Posted 11-11-2015 12:07

I really do not know what I would do without this board and all the phenomenal people in EDTA! Thank you so much, everyone, for all your advice and thoughts. You've given me much to consider, both for the show I am currently casting and future shows, and I really appreciate it! 

Wishing you all fantastic seasons with your kids!

Tasha

Tasha Partee
    Upper School Theatre Teacher
    Lawrence Woodmere Academy
    New York NY

• 15.  RE: Double Casting the Lead Role--thoughts? Suggestions?

Posted 11-12-2015 07:24

I do think we need to be careful, as theatre educators, when we talk about "lead roles" as referring to them as the only viable way for kids to grow and learn.  Again, I've certainly double-cast, and part of my motivation has always been wanting to give "more kids a chance."  So, I'm talking about myself as much as any one.  Still, the kids (AND their parents) already naturally tend to view the quality of the student's theatrical experience as "how many lines/songs he or she has."  And yet, I think one of the lessons we're trying to teach is that participation in theatre is a fertile terrain for growth and learning regardless of the size of the role.  I've been in a lot of shows in my life, and I've rarely been a lead.  Time spent in the chorus has certainly made me who I am, and, if I thought my experiences had been lesser for not having had more lines or songs, I wouldn't be working in this field.  And, if I thought I was providing a valuable educational experience only for the relative handful of lead actors I've taught and directed and not for the thousands who weren't leads, I don't think I could find the strength to get out of bed in the morning.

Again, I've double-cast at times and not double-cast.  It's a situational decision, and I don't think either is more right or wrong.  I just think we need to be mindful of not perpetuating the mindset that "the larger the role, the better the learning" because if we promote this line of thinking it may actually intensify the student/parent wish to see everyone get a crack at being a lead.

Ryan Moore
    Theatre Teacher and Forensics Coach
    Royal Oak MI

• 16.  RE: Double Casting the Lead Role--thoughts? Suggestions?

Posted 11-14-2015 21:00

I have double cast the female roles in Guys and Dolls- Arvida Abernathy plays Sarah at the matinee ( she was good yet a novice to the stage) and The General plays Adelaide at the matinee as well ( she was good however, not as polished as our Adelaide. Those gals were thrilled to have one performance in one role and three performances in the other. Yes, double costuming, double rehearsing ( although I have them shadow at run throughs)  and the issues of absenteeism have been eliminated. The gals have all grown musically and theatrically  and pedagoggically, the right choice for these gals. 

My issue was never with double casting; moreso the senior with serious pitch issues that expected a lead her senior year  or the senior that had a character role last year and now is playing a mug and a doll in this show. 

I find it valuable and worth the time and effort. 

Kate Caton
    Drury Stage Company
    Founder and Director
    Drury High School
    N Adams, MA

• 17.  RE: Double Casting the Lead Role--thoughts? Suggestions?

Posted 11-15-2015 07:08
    I second the positive comments shared here already. Double casting leads also may give students with less experience a more experienced performer to work with --a win-win. Both students learn and grow throughout the rehearsal process and performances, in different ways. Some great friendships develop from these pairings. We, too, lengthen our run so each cast gets a matinee and an evening performance, which draws slightly different audiences (though some come to see both casts). Yes, it adds to rehearsal time, but not substantially. And it essentially eliminates the problems of absenteeism with a built-in understudy. We will definitely do this again for our spring musical. Good luck with your show!

Jen LaFrance
    NH Thespians

• 18.  RE: Double Casting the Lead Role--thoughts? Suggestions?

Posted 11-12-2015 14:17

I have been thinking about answering this question which addresses a needed topic in educational Theatre for years. And keep working on viable models which work for the age and level range of the actors. 

I would much rather lead a discussion at a conference workshop of Best Practices for the various ideas proposed and generated models which serves our needs as directors in the educational Theatre world. What great ideas for all teachers could be developed with brainstorming. 

But here it goes (excuse the typos...am typing with non-dominate hand after rotator cuff surgery-'CHECK YOUR LUGGAGE-The tear happened from constantly putting heavy carry-on in the airline's overhead)

I am a fan of two models which I have used in high school/elementary/middle school and community theatre: one is "role sharing" -not a fan of the term "double casting"

The role sharing the actors must of course have the needed qualities for performance including approximate same size for costume sharing after cleaning. Some of the leads and perhaps supporting roles might be designed for role sharing.

In the staging (not a fan of the word "blocking" seems so negative) rehearsals the 2 actors walk together as if connected, to get directions, then in development rehearsals we run each scene two times while the other partner sits in the front row of the theater and watches for staging; then the shared role-actors trade; once stumble throughs and memorizing rehearsals happen,  the partner sits in the first row, saying their lines very quietly, and when "Line" is called, the actor sitting in the first row gets "Points" if they can give the line before the S.M,. does. Once we get into run thoughs, one actor takes a full act, then the other does another act. The act rotation continues until each role shared actor gets equal number of rehearsals. During the final Tech week, the one actor takes a final run through on one night, then the other takes the next night..

I hope you get the idea. If there are several role-shared actors, I mix it up, so the cast is ready to work with any prepared actor. The advantage to this is that if illness happens or anything else takes place that might prevent an actor from performing, we have another actor ready to go. It also keeps all actors on their toes, cause of subtle differences each role-shared actor brings. 

The other version of this is that if the show is simple, or you do not have a full cast, then the 2 actors who are role-sharing can share a minor role as well. 

The other version of this idea is that I cast in major roles a JV version; those actors get at least one matinee. The JV role-shared actor also takes a minor role and the varsity actor plays the minor role to support the JV actor when he/she is in the major role. The support from the Varsity actor who is doing a minor role really shows support for the cast. 

Another idea which I have used, which people have mentioned is the "swing" idea. This really works best for a nonmusical, episodic script.. I cast a female to cover 2 or 3 roles, and same for the male actors. They are usually underclasspersons. They prepare for their assigned roles and get rehearsal times; they step in if any actor is absent in the case of the "unexpected dentist emergency" appointment. I call these lovely actors "production role assistants" or PRAs. Never have had a rehearsal with a missing actor on stage. 

Happy Holidays so you can rest and brainstorm on many of the Community ideas. We are thankful for you and what you do for your community. 

Gai Jones
    gai.jones@sbcglobal.net
    gai@gaijones.com

www.gaijones.com
    RAISING THE CURTAIN www.perfectionlearning.com
    BREAK A LEG, A LOVE LETTER TO THEATRE EDUCATORS AND STUDENTS www.gaijones.com
    THE STUDENT ACTOR PREPARES: ACTING FOR LIFE www.intellectbooks.com e-Book on Amazon
    CURTAIN GOIN' UP...TRUISMS AND TIPS FOR COMMUNITY THEATER ACTORS, DIRECTORS, TECHNICIANS AND OTHER VOLUNTEERS www.gaijones.com https://www.facebook.com/GaiJonesTheatreEducator

• 19.  RE: Double Casting the Lead Role--thoughts? Suggestions?

Posted 11-11-2015 14:23

Hello, We have had success with casting each of our chorus/ensemble as both chorus/ensemble and as an understudy for our musicals. This allows each actor to deeply know the show and still perform. In our last musical production, two of our minor characters were pulled from the show (one due to disciplinary action, the other due to doctor's orders) and two of our chorus/ensemble actors filled in perfectly. This also allows you to have stand-ins during rehearsal if your leads are out sick. Hope this helps. Break a leg!

Juliette Beck
    Head of Theatre, Teacher, Troupe Director
    Albuquerque NM

• 20.  RE: Double Casting the Lead Role--thoughts? Suggestions?

Posted 11-13-2015 10:16

I don't always double cast, only when I feel like I have two actors that are the best for the role.  We do a four show run, so the double cast actors split the run.  The actors honestly do not mind and it's not that difficult.  Some directors here are saying it takes longer, and it may, depends on how your run your rehearsals.  I always have the actors that are double cast out watching when I am working with the other, they run lines together and they will help each other.  So for me there are advantages AND I am also trying to get as many students involved with a play or musical as I can.

Also, this did help me out a few years back when my lead had to have emergency surgery two days before opening and was unable to perform as he was still in the hospital.  Life happens, they are still students.  It's better to be safe than sorry.

Ryan Landmann
    Palm Desert CA

• 21.  RE: Double Casting the Lead Role--thoughts? Suggestions?

Posted 11-16-2015 07:28
    Double casting is tricky to be sure. I've done it a number of times with female leads. It is really unfortunate when one is clearly better than the other and they know it. Not so bad when the really really stellar one is also kind and humble, but that only happened once. 
    Las time I double cast it was for the ladies in Blithe Spirit. This might have worked if the male lead was also double cast. Then I could have two groups rehearsing simultaneously. One with me on stage and the other with a AD in a rehearsal space (classroom). The male lead had trouble connecting to both sets of ladies and the ladies had 1/2 the rehearsal time they needed. 
    This I no longer do it unless I can do all the leads. 
    Odd Couple male/female versions went great. Clue with all the suspects double cast also went great. Full groups could rehearse in separate spaces. No one lost rehearsal time, casts were equally talented, actors made connections. This is now the only way I do it. 
    I just cast Copacabana. I easily had enough females to double cast, but not enough males, so no double casting. Some girls were very upset.  In this case, when a student feels "entitled" because of age or because they had the last lead and felt they deserved it, well we are better off with them not in the role. I always let the leads know that they are leaders more than leads. Other actors will look up to them and they need to be worthy of that. I also have this conversation with any seniors involved. 

Scott Hasbrouck
    George Washington HS
    Denver, CO

• 22.  RE: Double Casting the Lead Role--thoughts? Suggestions?

Posted 11-13-2015 14:46

Great discussion, ladies and gentlemen!

Thank you Ryan for making the excellent point about 'lead' versus 'chorus' as to where 'more learning' occurs. Corey Mitchell said it at Florida's FATE conference this year, that there are no stars in his program. I do the same thing that he talked about in our program: everybody takes a bow at the same time because every cast is an ensemble effort, and I work hard to ensure that no one feels that they are 'more special' than anyone else, because they have a 'lead role' or their experience, or the last theatre program they came from.

In the three years of doing this, I haven't had a problem (after setting it up in the first half of the first year), and students really do treat it as a family, with everyone supporting one another, respecting one another's unique gifts and talents, and all that. I am definitely co-opting the term 'role sharing,' and thank you Gale for your notes on how to work role sharing efficiently. I double cast/role share plays and musicals depending on need and depending on how many show up. There are usually a couple of folks who start out but then drop out, for whatever reason.

I would recommend that there are an equal number of nights for the role share. Tonight is our second performance of our three night run of 'Evita,' and we had a major issue with one of our role share leads. Based on behavior, attitude and other miscellaneous factors, they were assigned for one night of the production. Within five minutes of being told, (if that!) mom was up at the school, demanding a meeting with the Principal and I, demanding to know why I was putting some other untalented black girl in the lead role, especially as Evita isn't even black. (Her words, not mine). I sat through an hour of abuse and provocation, with the only happy end result that the individual decided not only to step out of the production, but to withdraw from school entirely.

I say this as a cautionary tale, as I did everything I could (many of the practices described in this thread): everybody's equal, everybody supports one another, equal praise, you're not in competition, you're blah blah yadda yadda catnip. It still went south. It is not going to deter me from role sharing again, but I will be extra careful when I audition to let my students know what the deal is (especially if they're new, as in this case). I think it also taught me a grand lesson in not casting someone brand new for a lead role, someone who has never worked with me before. I don't play favorites, and I rotate who I have into larger roles so more people get more of a chance to experience certain roles.

So, yes, role sharing is trickier, and more work has to be done upfront, during, and after any production with it. I stand by it because it does give more students the opportunity to play more roles (and when I role share a part, it's because I have too many students than I know where to put, and want ideally to cast everyone).

Anyhow, thanks for sharing, everyone!

On a side-note, we had a back up Evita, as three nights in a row for our Evita girl who didn't walk out was going to be too much for her to do alone. It did allow the girl who was playing the mistress part to step into the role, however, and she is incredible, and I'm actually really excited to see her play the role tonight. Because I double cast the mistress, no problem! And I am continually amazed at how some kids are able to absolutely rise and step up and handle the pressure, where others crumble, which is what may have happened in this sad case. (Not pressure from me, but pressure from herself and mom to be perfect; she couldn't handle not being perfect. Broke my heart).  

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Hillsborough County Schools
    Ruskin FL

• 23.  RE: Double Casting the Lead Role--thoughts? Suggestions?

Posted 11-16-2015 21:56

As I have shared in previous posts, our school policy is to double-cast all of the leads in our Main stage shows (and sometimes the entire cast).

We approach this from the perspective that we are here to educate and train students and that providing more opportunities is key this process.

yes, it requires considerable planning of rehearsals but, like others have mentioned, it does remove the problems caused by absent student performers.  We make no effort to have a 'strong cast' or a 'senior cast'. They are equal. One gets opening night; the other gets closing night.

Cheers.

William Jacobsen
    Red Deer AB

• 24.  RE: Double Casting the Lead Role--thoughts? Suggestions?

Posted 07-14-2018 07:06
    Good morning,

What a great discussion. There are so many valid points that I really can’t disagree with any of them. One thing I can tell you from my experience.

Anytime we have two strong students for a role, inevitably one is better than the other and one cast winds up being a stronger performance. The cast knows it and the audience knows it.

---------------------------------
    Crit Fisher
    Lighting/Sound Designer
    New Albany High School
    ---------------------------------