Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Full vs. Jr. Versions MTI

Posted 11-09-2015 16:14

I teach at a rather large middle school, and for our Spring production, I'm looking at GODSPELL.  However, I'm wiffling back and forth between the full 2012 version and the JR. version.  Thoughts?  Concerns?

------------------------------
    Keith Rollins
    Drama Teacher
    Dalton Public Schools - Dalton Middle School
    Dalton GA

• 2.  RE: Full vs. Jr. Versions MTI

Posted 11-11-2015 08:59

Good Morning Keith,

I have directed the Jr. version of Godspell and I highly recommend it!!! It still presents some challenging moments, but not overwhelming to the middle school students. I also set it in a theatre classroom complete with access to puppets, hats, boas, a classroom stage, etc. My kids had a lot of fun and were very successful!!! Deanna Davis-Haltom Middle School

Deanna Davis
    Forth Worth TX

• 3.  RE: Full vs. Jr. Versions MTI

Posted 11-11-2015 11:38

Thank you.  I chose this because I didn't really need a "star" vehicle. I have a good group of talented kids, but no one stands out as a lead.  So an ensemble show like Godspell seems a good idea.  The cost if a major issue for me, so I think based on your experience, I'm going to go with the JR. Version. 

Thanks for your help!

Keith Rollins
    Drama Teacher
    Dalton Public Schools - Dalton Middle School
    Dalton GA
    Twitter - @DMSDrama
    Instagram - @DMStheatre

• 4.  RE: Full vs. Jr. Versions MTI

Posted 11-11-2015 14:26

The JR version is still strong and has a shorter run time, which can be helpful when rehearsing with middle school actors. The JR version also seemed to cost less, which is always a pro. It's still a challenging show as a JR version, yet another pro. Break a leg!

Juliette Beck
    Head of Theatre, Teacher, Troupe Director
    Albuquerque NM

• 5.  RE: Full vs. Jr. Versions MTI

Posted 11-12-2015 12:47

I, too, found myself going back and forth between the two for our MS show. I eventually selected the Jr. version. I like how it is prepackaged for the kids and the length of the show I find to be just right for middle school students. In fact, I have only used the junior versions for each MS show I have done. 

James Fry
    Director of Student Life & Malvern Theatre Society
    West Chester PA