Open Forum

View Only

postponing or cancelling a show

• 1.  postponing or cancelling a show

Posted 11-03-2015 08:43

I love reading in this forum, but this is my first time posting because I desperately need some advice from veteran teachers and directors. (It’s a very long post- sorry about that!)

I have a production of The Crucible opening in a little over a week (Nov. 12). Right now the production is in pretty bad shape.

We are very behind on all things technical (set, lights, costumes, etc.) but all of that wouldn’t matter as much if we weren’t struggling with the acting part as well. My kids are having major trouble with their lines (and some blocking). We haven’t been able to spend as much time on character work and all the “fun stuff” as I would have wanted because they struggled so long with the blocking and other basics. We have yet to run through the entire show off book and without calling line. I have done everything I can think of to help. I am at a complete loss and we are running out of time.

I have been involved in many, many productions and seen my fair share of theatrical miracles, as I’m sure we all have. It’s part of the magic of theatre. But this brings me to my question…

Have any of you ever had to cancel or postpone a production? How did you come to that decision? What were the consequences?

I have never been involved in a production that has been cancelled or postponed. To me, doing so seems to go against everything I am trying to teach my kids about theatre. But at what point does it become necessary? Is my hesitation because of my own pride (I had to fight my administration for the play and going to them to ask to postpone would be so, so hard)? Or, would postponing be best for my students? Should I hold on to hope for a theatre miracle?

I believe if I went to my administration they would allow me to postpone a week (any longer than that would be challenging due to other scheduling in the aud). Obviously postponing presents a whole new list of challenges with cast and crew availability, changing posters and publicity, etc. We haven’t actually started selling tickets yet although we were supposed to be begin selling on Thursday.

I am only in my second year teaching and consequently this is only my second time directing a full-length high school production, but I am no stranger to theatre. The Crucible was a very ambitious choice for our program and I knew it would be challenging. But in so many ways it was a perfect fit for what we needed and I truly believed we could do it. Now, I am over-analyzing every decision I have made regarding this production trying to figure out what went wrong and how I can make sure this never happens again. I don’t have an answer yet but I’m sure it will haunt me for a long while. But, beating myself up won’t solve the current problem. Does anyone out there have any words of wisdom for me?

------------------------------
    Emily Olson
    Theatre Teacher and Director
    Port St. Lucie, FL

• 2.  RE: postponing or cancelling a show

Posted 11-03-2015 09:30

This is a great question and I look forward to reading what advice others give you. Just wanted to share that I taught one time in a school where the director regularly cancelled shows. Her reasons were usually the same: Students weren't learning their lines, students weren't taking the show seriously, conflicts with rehearsal time, set not completed. 

I taught next door to her black box theatre and was a casual observer of her classroom time and techniques. She often left the in-class rehearsals to work in her office or to sit and chat with a select few students. Her standards didn't seem high enough for the students to aspire to. She had a very nonchalant attitude towards the show and the student work. She would sometimes tell me "It's up to them to make this show work" while ignoring the fact that it was her job to teach/train them (my opinion here). Putting responsibility on the students is great if you have systems of accountability and safety nets built in. I don't think she did.

So what I saw happening was the development of a culture where it was okay to cancel a show. It was no big deal. And shows were canceled regularly after that. And students and their parents begin to accept the poor quality of the shows as the norm. Canceling was always an option for them.

From what you've shared, it seems that your situation is different from hers. And, I believe there are times when canceling might be the best option, but I just want to share my observation with this one teacher to give you more things to consider. 

I did myself have to cancel a show close to the production date due to cast illness (really bad flu wiped out half the cast for two weeks). But we kept the show date open and announced that we would do an improv show instead. Several people came expecting the show we had earlier advertised (which was a show no one had ever heard of, so we kept the title of that show for our improv show and most of the audience had no idea). "A" show went on and we avoided a culture of cancelation. 

Frank Pruet
    EdTA President
    Atlanta GA

• 3.  RE: postponing or cancelling a show

Posted 11-04-2015 07:44
    Sigh.  I am dealing with this, too. I have two classes of 8th graders. Each is supposed to do a short one act on nov. 19. One class is truly amazing and wonderful. They have productive rehearsals and are so into the show.  The other class however has had a very hard time. Several students are still hung up over their roles. They are playing around and I constantly have to stop rehearsal to refocus them. Over the weekend I sent an email to the one cast's parents and explained what was happening. I told them that if they didn't get it together, only the other class would perform. I also told the class Monday. Just that threat seems to have turned them around a good bit. 

Jennifer Simmons

• 4.  RE: postponing or cancelling a show

Posted 11-03-2015 09:49

One of my favorite ever teachers advised me that the first time you quit something is the hardest. But then it becomes easier and easier...He was talking to me about my then decision to postpone my further education in bible studies and preaching and what not, and he was concerned that, having had people 'postpone' and never come back, I would be one of those folks who didn't push through.

I did postpone, for a year, since my wife had just given birth to our second child, and I was in a new job at a new school, and the teaching was taking place a good 8 hour drive away, four weekends in the year, which doesn't sound like much, but it was. I resumed my studies two years later, and finished. But that was mainly because he had told me his worry about 'once a quitter...' Kind of like Yoda saying once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny. So I wanted more to be Luke Skywalker, and came back to complete my training. :)

I think I read elsewhere in an unrelated post that one director laid it bare to the cast, told them they were going to cancel the show because of the similar issues you appear to be facing. In that case, it appeared to be the drastic wake-up call that the students needed, and it turned out to be one of their best productions.

I have not cancelled a show yet. We are about to postpone one of our Improv Nights, as it is a week after our production of 'Evita', and because of issues that arose in that production, Improv rehearsal had to be cancelled a few times (including a wonderful hour and a half where a parent was blasting me because her child is much more special than the others, despite the fact I had even cast her as the lead...future blog topic, look for it!). It is not a pleasant area for me to be in. I do think, in my case, we were a little bit optimistic about how much we could get done, so I'm going to look at that for next year, but this year, whatever state the show is in, it's going on. We work our hardest to make it as good as we can, but I do believe very strongly that the goal is progress, not perfection. The Crucible is a difficult show. I know of another troupe director who just flat cancelled their plan to do it, because they found it too difficult. I would say, embrace the challenge, take the lumps, and really use it as a teachable moment, both for your performers and for your community.

In terms of set/technical elements, just keep it simple. Being set in Puritanical times, it'll work fine with minimal set and other elements.

I wish you the best, and will pray for your peace of mind. I hope it works out. There will be a variety of opinions on this; go with the one that you are most comfortable with, and that you can live with. Better to have loved and lost, and all that.

And don't worry about what others are thinking. Stick with your convictions. You sound like you were absolutely sure that this production was the right one, at the right time. Go back to that and re-discover why you thought that. Don't spend too much time second guessing, because that way misery lies. Do what you can, be okay with failure, which, from the sounds of your passion and drive, won't be nearly anything like a failure in anyone else's eyes. Try to see your students and your own work from outside, with an outsider's perspective. Chances are, they are going to be pretty impressed.

Whichever path you choose, it'll all work out.

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Hillsborough County Schools
    Ruskin FL

• 5.  RE: postponing or cancelling a show

Posted 11-03-2015 15:40

Emily, I feel for you.  I think we've all been at that point where we think, "How on earth are we going to be ready by opening night!? The set isn't close to being finished, I haven't even thought about the lights, I don't have the music ready, we'll be lucky to have all the costumes ready, and on top of all that...the kids aren't even close to being ready with their lines!"

I would encourage you to just breath:)  I would also encourage you not to cancel your production.  It sounds like you've put a lot of effort into the show at this point, and cancelling would only set a bad precedence for the future. Change or simplify whatever you need to in the production.  If your administrators will allow you to postpone a week then I would certainly take advantage of that and communicate as best you can about the date change.  Just slap a nice sticker across your posters with the date change and it will all be fine.  I think everyone will understand and will appreciate you doing this in the best interest of your student actors.

I've had to change dates in the past, and although not ideal, it always works out in the end.  Theatre is magical and amazing, as are students when they perform in front of a live audience.  Something just seems to click and the show somehow comes together.  Even though you're able to point out where it could/should have been better, the audience probably won't, or at least won't judge you as harshly as you judge yourself.

Don't give up!  Just take it one task at a time and keep holding your students to the high standard at which you expect them to perform.  They will probably surprise you:)

Break a leg!

Danny Hobson
    Hellstern Middle School
    Springdale, Arkansas

Danny Hobson
    Springdale AR

• 6.  RE:postponing or cancelling a show

Posted 11-03-2015 21:20
    Emily, I had to cancel a production of Our Town in the spring. Not because of the same issues you are having, but I lost my male lead less than a week before opening. It was heart wrenching and my cast was very sad, but the reality is that stuff happens. We try our best and sometimes, despite our best efforts, things don't come together. I have also always told my students that I would rather pull a show than to put something up that we can't all be proud of. Just know you are not alone and having to pull a show doesn't mean you have not done your job. Teaching your kids that good theatre is more important than money or timelines is a very important lesson in humility. Rebecca Cates Madison Southern High School Berea, KY Troupe #7909

-------------------------------------------
    Susan Tomlin
    Teacher/Theatre Director
    Madison Southern High School
    Berea KY
    -------------------------------------------

Sent via Higher Logic Mobile

• 7.  RE:postponing or cancelling a show

Posted 11-04-2015 05:55
    I did The Crucible a few years back, and my Danforth just could not get his lines down. I finally decided it wasn't fair for him to affect the work of the other students, so we made copies of his lines and put it on his judge's stand, as if he had copies of the depositions to look at. I hated doing this, and it affected his musical audition in the spring, but it helped get the rest of the kids more confident. When people came to the show, they could tell he had some help but I didn't hear much about it.

The Crucible is a beautiful show, but the kids may be finding the older language challenging. It might be helpful to have them paraphrase their lines in a journal to be sure they are getting what they are saying to begin with.

Best of luck to you!!

~Denise

• 8.  RE: postponing or cancelling a show

Posted 11-04-2015 12:55

All kids are "Money Players."  We all hate money players; those performers that never commit to rehearsals until they know that and audience is out there (paying their "money").  I performed as Seymour when my lead was "phoning in" his performance in the final week of prep for "Little Shop..." At auditions, I make it clear that I have no problem playing the role - any role - in any production if the actor wasn't prepared.  They all thought I was kidding. Until I wasn't.  He was embarrassed, but he NEVER LET IT HAPPEN AGAIN!!!  In two days, he became the most dedicated, hardest working actor on that stage and the entire show was a triumph.

For the record, I never cast understudies; too much extra time in rehearsals and someone always feels robbed of performance time.  Years ago, in performances with paying audiences, I did what some professional theatres do: have the Stage Managers play the role with the script on a clipboard.  The actors being replaced hated it.  They were ashamed.  They learned.

No one person is more important than the show.  Football games aren't cancelled when the star quarterback goes down.  The team may lose, but they still get to play. (An undiscovered talent off the bench may also get their big break!)  When the expectations are made clear (do the job or you will be replaced!), kids learn much more than what it takes to put on a show. They learn how their actions - their choices - affect others. In this way we teach much more than theatre. Much, much more.  

Break A Leg!

Josh Ruben
    Fine Arts Head, Northwest Whitfield
    Chattanooga TN

• 9.  RE: postponing or cancelling a show

Posted 11-04-2015 06:01
    In my 24 years of teaching only once did I have this problem, and I ended up doing the play as a staged reading, with scripts in hand but full on acting. We billed it that way, and it was fine. You could try that. What I usually do a couple of weeks before opening is not allow them to call line. Take away the crutch and they have to solve it with improvisation, rescuing each other, and above all staying in character. After one or two painful rehearsals, they are great! A few other last minute ideas: in some plays it is possible to give an actor or place on stage a script that looks like it belongs there (the judges table, for instance. ) Those actors nearby the script then can become your anchors, in character ,helping a scene when it goes awry. Finally, try simplifying. Do the play, but not in its entirety -shorter Hale and Danforth speeches, for example. This requires you to cut for them, to get to the heart of each scene, but preserve what is needed. Sometimes having fewer lines means they will rise to the occasion. I do this in Shakespeare a lot, especially if an actor is struggling. This year after a painful rehearsal of Twelfth Night, I had the kids sit at a table and do an Italian rush of their lines - saying all of them rapidly without asking for lines, but soldiering on. They were surprised with how any lines they knew, and now confident, nailed the next rehearsal. Good luck, and let us know how it goes!

Sent from my iPad

• 10.  RE: postponing or cancelling a show

Posted 11-04-2015 06:41

I have never had to cancel a show, but I can understand your frustration.  Several years ago I directed a show that wasn't terribly challenging, but some of the talent (who was pretty talented), had a miserable opening night.  Like worst opening night I've ever experienced.  They knew it too after the show.  I wasn't happy, and they knew I wasn't happy.  I didn't yell or scream.  But I went home and beat myself up a little over it since I felt like I somehow dropped the ball.

What I did the next night was this:  I brought in a big bucket of mints, like the kind you can buy in the candy aisle at Walgreens for $5.  About an hour before the show, when they had a chance to get in costume a most makeup, we sat down in the theatre for a talk.  Acknowledging that we had a bad opening night, I refocused on the positive.  I had each person (cast and crew) take a mint out and say one thing they were going to focus on doing better for that evening's rehearsal.  By doing so, everyone called out what they didn't do well on the night before.  Even I did it (mine was not to become controlling over the show since it was in their hands now and I have to trust them to make the right choices),

When everyone did this, we all ate our mints at the same time.  Why mints?  The peppermint oil is good for blood flow and concentration! 

Ever since, I do this after my last rehearsal before we go into our Regional Competition (the contest show is the only show I direct, but I have done it with other shows I direct).  It's a bit more emotional then, because we never know if it's our last rehearsal or not, but it gets us all to remind ourselves of our common mission in telling a story.  And then when they are getting ready at Regionals, I bring each of them a mint for them to eat as they prepare. 

It has become a cool tradition, and it has helped the kids to focus.  Maybe something like that could work for you?

Raymond Palasz
    English/Theatre Faculty; Thespian Troupe Director
    Lake Central High School
    Schererville IN

• 11.  RE: postponing or cancelling a show

Posted 11-05-2015 10:25
    The key to this is consistency. I teach kids theatre during the summer and we are always off book two weeks prior to the show. It doesn't take long before kids get embarrassed and frustrated with calling "line" and they either guilt trip themselves or others into learning them. I also have two Student Directors and often have them run lines in the adjacent room with the weaker members as well. In 27 years of shows, not one major mess up from young or old alike. Kids will rise to the level of commitment you ask of them. It's that simple.

Bruce Taws
    Mosley Drama Sponsor
    Lynn Haven, FL

The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential and protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, or an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer. Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public-records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.

• 12.  RE: postponing or cancelling a show

Posted 11-04-2015 06:47

To echo many others, push through--set your standards high, be clear and students will rise to the occasion.  Make any adjustments you may need to proceed.  The lesson here to the students is that sometimes we are not prepared and stuff happens anyway.  How one deals with that is the skill you are teaching.  Students who study theatre (and the arts) have a leg up on their competition in any field (law, medicine, science, engineering, manufacturing), because they have been exposed to and hopefully learned how to problem solve and work around adversity.  Cancelling or moving a production is a last resort option.  So many more methods for "fixing" this exist.

To answer the other part of this question, it has happened to me twice.  The first time, administration pushed back my show a week to avoid "conflict" with a regional winning football team. I protested and was obviously overruled.  It was gut wrenching to be the second-class group, to add the work load to change advertising, extend contracts, etc., and ultimately I the production wasn't better due to more time and ultimately suffered from what my students perceived as a slight.  

The second time came when one of my leads had a major medical crisis on the final dress rehearsal night prior to opening night.  We cancelled the first night of a three night run to make a plan and to deal with the emotional stress of what had happened at rehearsal.  We performed our last two nights very successfully.  There was some backlash from one upset parent, but I had full support from administration, most parents and my students.  With that said, I think today I would even handle that situation differently.

To echo what other posters have said, I think you set a poor precedent to move a show due to lack of preparation.  That is not the standard or learning environment you want to create.

I wish you the best in the decision you make.  Remember, you are an educator first a producer second.

Raenell Smith
    Speech, Theatre, English Teacher
    Clark Pleasant Community School Corporation
    Whiteland IN

• 13.  RE: postponing or cancelling a show

Posted 11-04-2015 09:27

It's been my experience in every show I've directed that there's a period of at least 3 days where you are freaking out and want to rip down all of the posters so that no one comes to see this trainwreck after all.  It's generally a good sign if this moment happens 2 or even better 3 weeks out rather than, like my latest show, the early part of tech week when there was almost no time to fix it.  It's possible you're just in that terrible, scary place and need to push through to the other side.  I do believe that a serious talk with your cast (I love the mints framework) can help refocus them. Also: don't let them call line anymore.  Make them make it up on the spot to get themselves out of trouble.  The peer pressure of having to cover for each other can be more motivating than your disapproval.

This is also a great skill to learn as an actor.  In our Julius Caesar, I was SO proud of how well Cassius got at helping suggest the next line to Brutus (how's that for Method Acting?) in character without it being obvious.  And while Mark Antony was great, I was never prouder of her than when Octavius jumped ahead in the scene, skipping a speech she loved, and she just jumped ahead rather than trying to go back to it.

That said, we did actually have to cancel our last show because the Astros made the playoffs, and our school is directly across the street.  When that happens, there's absolutely no way for our audience to get to us -- parking both legal and illegal vanishes, traffic comes to a standstill, etc.  The administrations actually wanted to cancel the Saturday performance as well because the church next door had a wedding scheduled, but I managed to put my foot down about that.  

They even ended up giving us an afternoon matinee starting at the end of the school day.  I was terrified to do this, because it's my first year at the school, and my predecessor apparently cancelled shows routinely.  I agree with the above statements to make it your last resort, but pushing a week does happen in the professional world.

Katy Mulvaney
    Houston TX

• 14.  RE: postponing or cancelling a show

Posted 11-04-2015 09:13

I had a similar problem several years ago.  I was directing The Crucible as a spring production and rescheduling was out of the question since it was late spring and the calendar was full of events at the high school.  Some students were having a tough time with their lines.  Many of them had trouble, not because they didn't know their lined, but because their scene partner didn't know his lines and the anxiety produced threw them off.  I decided to repackage the show as a staged reading.  That way only those who were not sure of their lines carried scripts.  This freed up the others to concentrate on their own character and what he was saying.  In the two weeks that followed the show took on a new life.  I opened each performance with a curtain speech, which I usually don't do, saying I wanted the audience to see how far the students had come and how difficult a road it was to travel and how proud I was of their progress.  Only one student went on with a script in his hand (disguised as a bible); the audience, including members of the administration, loved the show.

I hope this helps.  Break legs!

Robert DiMartino
    Theatre Teacher
    Cumberland High School
    West Warwick RI

• 15.  RE: postponing or cancelling a show

Posted 11-04-2015 10:34
    I have never cancelled a show, but I have been there where the rant was pretty intense and the cast completely silent.  I wondered if they would come to rehearsal the next day, but they did and we worked hard together after that.  

I would just try to work with the students the best I can.  Rehearse in different ways-- ask them to do a scene in "western style" or as an opera-- sort of makes it new and they can find interesting discoveries there that might help them latch on to different parts of their character.

Jon Jorry also has a really good series of articles on this website about script analysis-- completing that work is often very helpful.  I'll have students who do that and they often can paraphrase their lines after they complete the process.

I guess I would just try to be really creative in rehearsals and see if it doesn't shake loose.

Break legs and best of luck to you.

• 16.  RE: postponing or cancelling a show

Posted 11-04-2015 14:56

When faced with a similar situation as a young theatre teacher, I remembered something that one of my favorite directors in college often said. "Ladies and gentleman - opening night and death wait for no one. You're either ready or you're not." It made me laugh, and it also made me work harder to be ready. 

A postponement is sometimes unavoidable due to the sudden loss of an actor, a key staff member or a venue. But try at all costs to avoid it if you can. 

Finally, keep in mind Marc Norman and Tom Stoppard's insightful words in the film SHAKESPEARE IN LOVE, when Geoffrey Rush's character, PHILIP HENSLOWE says the following to Tom Wilkinson's character, HUGH FENNYMAN:

PHILIP HENSLOWE

Mr. Fennyman, allow me to explain about the theatre business. The natural condition is one of insurmountable obstacles on the road to imminent disaster. 

HUGH FENNYMAN

So what do we do?

PHILIP HENSLOWE:

Nothing. Strangely enough, it all turns out well.

HUGH FENNYMAN:

How? 

PHILIP HENSLOWE:

I don't know. It's a mystery. 

Break a leg! 

Jim Hoare
    Vice President, Education & Community Initiatives
    TRW
    New York NY

• 17.  RE: postponing or cancelling a show

Posted 11-05-2015 06:30

Well, I'm no veteran theatre teacher, but yeah, I've been there.  I did postpone one show due to a ludicrous number of snow days that cancelled rehearsals one year.  And I've just about postponed or cancelled..... all of my other ones.  I'm a one-man program like many others, and just about every time, stuff just isn't done when everyone (including me) would like it done.  The fact is: we work with students. And if we could just do it ourselves, it might BE done on time.  But we get to share that responsibility, teach them to do things, and a lot of times, have them redo it or come in behind them and do it ourselves anyway.  

If I merit giving any advice, it's to just go forward.  It's a high school play and that is challenging material. I felt the EXACT way you do when I did The Importance of Being Earnest last year.  I pushed forward, and there were a lot of bright spots.  A LOT of rough spots, but a lot of bright spots.  It wasn't the students favorite show ever, nor mine, frankly.  But it gave confidence when they can look at something super difficult and say "I did that."

Not to mention.... if they tank?  Meh. They probably need that too.

Brad Parks
    Theatre Teacher
    Morrilton AR

• 18.  RE: postponing or cancelling a show

Posted 11-05-2015 10:19

Ditto everything, but ALSO feel good about providing your students with an opportunity to engage with important and deep material.  They will be better for it, even if the path is rough (and what path leading to something worthwhile is ever smooth).  I have felt your feelings so many times.  I like a slick production as much as any life-long participant in the theatre, but as educators, we have other obligations that involve challenging students, supporting them as they struggle, but also allowing for the lessons that come from life's failures.  

So to echo so many, I think an artistically "compromised" performance is a better Plan A than canceling (not there aren't circumstances which might justify a cancellation).  I've certainly sent students on-stage with a script rather than letting their performance undermine the whole.  And I take a breath and remind myself this is a learning and growth experience for all involved.  

There's a lot of talk about qualities like perseverance (ie "grit") in educational circles currently.  Theatre is the natural home of these types of  pejoratively named "soft skills," and before making a radical decision like a cancellation I think we have to decide which lesson we want to teach because lessons will be learned intended or unintended.

Break all of the legs! Best wishes.

p.s. This strain is making me think The Crucible generally and the role of Danforth specifically are somewhat cursed (you know how theatre loves its superstitions!)  I had to send a Danforth on stage with a script (decorated as a Bible) and this was an adult performer in a community theatre show.  

Ryan Moore
    Theatre Teacher and Forensics Coach
    Royal Oak MI

• 19.  RE: postponing or cancelling a show

Posted 11-05-2015 11:14

I reflected on this a little more, and was encouraged to see so many positive responses to this question; proof you're not alone! A previous poster talks of that 'crazy time' when you want to rip off all the posters, run screaming from the building and just bury your head in a hole. I was at this point a week and a half ago with our upcoming 'Evita' production. We double cast the lead roles, since they are heavy, heavy roles, and we wanted more kids to have a chance to participate, as well as for back-up purposes. I totally agree with a previous poster that it's more work and more stressful. In this instance, one of the leads was really playing up, doing everything they could to try and get the other lead 'fired' (going as far as to accuse them of stealing their phone, calling up the superintendant, and finally, when we laid out that the lead was going to get one performance out of the three, having mom and daughter both haul me in front of the principal for an hour and a half criticizing and blasting me, my wife and my program). It was stressful. It created a negative environment. I have never wanted a production to be over in my life.

I stuck to my guns. She was allowed one night.

She quit the production, and withdrew from the school. And the negativity lifted overnight, and the production...my goodness, night and day. We open next week. :) I'm excited.

Just to add, briefly, last December, I got into a motorcycle accident the night before our school one act productions. Being in hospital was not fun, but my kids (with the help of a couple of trusted colleagues) went right ahead and put on 4 one act shows over two nights. One or two of them were, let's say, not quite ready, but they were all received, and the amazing sense of accomplishment they felt from not cancelling and going ahead (because really, if they still need the director on show night, then something might be wrong) was incredible.

I don't recommend getting into a wreck to test this out though. My ankle still hurts. A lot. :)

Phillip Goodchild
    Ruskin FL

• 20.  RE: postponing or cancelling a show

Posted 11-16-2015 11:44

So, Emily, how did your production of THE CRUCIBLE go?  We just finished ours this past weekend.  I hope things went well for you.  Had you in my thoughts.

Rosemary Evaul

Roy C. Ketcham High School

,Wappingers Falls, NY

Rosemary Evaul
    Wappingers Fl NY

• 21.  RE: postponing or cancelling a show

Posted 11-05-2015 10:54

I had to postpone "The Miracle Worker" several years ago. The girl playing Kate got in a fight on dress rehearsal day, was suspended for five days from all school activities. We tried to put another actor into the spot, but she got so stressed that she almost had a nervous breakdown. We postponed for a week. My son, who was in the show, went to the theater both nights of the first weekend to tell anyone that came...but no one did. 

Every other time, I have forced the issue with lack of preparedness. I usually say something to the effect that it isn't me the audience will be watching (even though we all know the teacher/director is judged by the performance). I took a script away from my Mother Superior on stage in "The Sound of Music" last year during tech week.

This year I used something I gleaned from this site. When Off Book is scheduled, actors get a penalty for each line they flub or ask for line. The first week they did 1 burpee for each line. The second week they did two. There weren't any problems after that.

Ellen Di Filippo
    Tracy CA

• 22.  RE: postponing or cancelling a show

Posted 11-05-2015 12:51

I've never had to postpone a show, but I've taken parts away from kids. I warn the kids in the auditions that if they aren't willing to do the work I can fins someone else who can. About 5 years ago we were doing a parody of Wizard of Oz and the kid who was supposed to play the scarecrow was flaking on rehearsals, didn't lines, never bothered to learn blocking, etc. I kicked him out of the show and gave it to another kid. This was 2 days before opening. The new child learned the part in a day, went onstage and was fabulous. The rest of the cast and crew really came together to support him. It was very stressful but ultimately the right thing to do.

I haven't had this sort of an issue since. I've had swings go onstage because of car accidents and the like, but no one else has been removed from a production. 

I also point out that the kids are the ones who will look bad onstage. By this point, and I've been at my current school for 8 years, if the kids don't look good onstage it reflects badly on them individually and the cast as a whole. A positive at being longer term at a school is that I've put on so many productions that everyone enjoyed, when there's a flop it usually falls on the kids (and it doesn't hurt that the kids who've been working and completing their responsibilities complain about the slacker to anyone who will listen) and not on me. 

We've all been there. Hang on, get through this one production, and then treat yourself to something nice. You've earned it!

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 23.  RE: postponing or cancelling a show

Posted 11-05-2015 13:18
    Emily, I have never postponed a show, and I'm in my 32 year of directing high school theatre.  I think if you ever postpone a show, that option is always in the minds of students with subsequent shows.  

That is not to say that I have not been in the same place you are in.  What I do is this:

1.  I sit the cast down during notes after rehearsal and tell them I am really worried about whether or not the show will come together.  Then I tell them I believe they can do what is necessary to get it together, but it is in their hands.

2.  I tell them to make sure they practice their lines with the blocking.  Movement prompts memory.  Movement prompts memory.

3.  I tell them to clarify all objectives.  What do you, as the character, want to achieve with each and every line?

4.  I tell them to look at the entire story line.  How do your lines fit in the whole story?

5.  I tell them to put a gesture in for any line they are repeatedly missing--after they have clarified the objective--and do that gesture in every rehearsal, practice at home, and performance. 

5.  I ask them to look at the lines people have repeatedly had trouble remembering.  I ask them to look at how their own characters might keep the scene going at that point, should an actor go up on his/her lines--getting the gist of the line, but from the standpoint of their own characters.  If there is silence on stage, it is everybody's fault.  (Ask any audience.)

Then I look at how I can simplify the design elements to the bare minimum, realizing that the audience doesn't know my design plan and what we intended to get done.

And during the final rehearsals I do side coaching -- "Great!"  "Yes!" -- on good things and make notes about not good things .

And whatever the audience sees and hears when the show opens is whatever the audience sees or hears when the show opens.  

Good luck!

CJ Breland
    Asheville High School

• 24.  RE: postponing or cancelling a show

Posted 11-05-2015 14:43

C.J., that list is awesome! I do one or two of those intermittently as demand requires, but I can see how useful it would be just to run through that list.

Ellen, just want to say: I would be careful of using physical 'punishment' as a consequence for asking for a line. Not because I disagree. I think it's actually the best thing in the world, but in our school, one teacher administered push-ups or some form of calisthenics as a consequence for some academic infraction, and a parent made a huge stink about it. Consequently, no teacher is allowed to do any kind of physical consequence for any infraction.

(Which is stooooopid, but it may well be a school handbook issue.) Just to be sure!

Phillip Goodchild
    Ruskin FL

• 25.  RE: postponing or cancelling a show

Posted 11-06-2015 09:48

Hi Emily,

You may have already made your decision, I apologize for throwing in my support for your situation so late. It seems to me your really hoping to save the ship instead of letting it sink. It is a struggle sometimes for veteran teachers as well as new teachers (us older folks just have more precedent to fall back on :) ).

As far as talking to your administration - sure it's tough, but if you let them be your partners in this situation you may end up gaining their respect and support. Be honest, you took on a tough show, and it takes a little more time to help the kids tackle the show than you anticipated. The kids can do it, you can do it...but to provide the students with the best opportunity for success, postponing the show is the option that is needed. It may be advantageous to let  them assist you in finding the best place to reschedule the show...a week, two...December...January. The administration should be there to support you and your students. Don't be afraid that by bring the situation to them that they will think less of you, let them do their job...supporting your and your program! 

I would also like to add a few other reasons not to cancel a show:

• The time and effort that has been put in needs validation for the students and director
    • the reputation of the program and director reputation may be damaged
    • loss of parents trust, that their child will gain something positive and meaningful from the experience

This can still be handled. All directors have been faced with shows that challenge the timeline of production. Theatre is really challenging and complex especially if you are the only one wearing all of the hats. The Crucible is a demanding show and you may just need a little more time to get it under control. 

When my shows are resisting coming together I do a couple of things to get it back together (since I don't know your specific roadblocks I'll share what I've done to deal with my own production woes)

Lines - when we hit a spot that is particularly loose and unprepared, we stop and run it in small sections only a 1/2 a page if necessary until that section is down, then on the the next section until the scene it managed. It is tedious and time consuming but the outcome is that the scenes get put together and everyone has more confidence in the show. This could take one rehearsal or more. Don't rush the process, two things will happen - either the students will be thankful that they finally have the lines managed or they will not want to go thru that process ever again and they will get their lines down before the next rehearsal. Anyone not in the scene being worked on needs to be running scenes somewhere in the theatre and be ready to move on as the rehearsal continues.

- as mentioned by others cheat sheets can be used, it they can be disguised well. 

- if lines issues is too far from being handled, consider billing the show as a staged reading and print scripts to be easily read on stage and place in nice folders or notebooks.

-cutting lines/scenes...I have literally sat in the house with a script and a pencil marking the areas in the most trouble and then eliminating anything in that section that could be cut, leaving only the necessary lines that progress the story. It's ugly and I hated doing it...but the show went on!

Tech issues - simplify...don't kill yourself and your kids trying to put together Broadway quality tech. Decide on the necessities and do them well so that the show runs smoothly and the techies feel confident. Same with costumes - simplify - focus on telling the story, maybe suggested pieces for costumes or unified color pieces (skirt/tops - pant/shirts) that can be purchased on the cheap...Amazon Prime can get to you in a couple of days.

Posters - print updated info on a square or rectangle sheet of paper and simple overlay it on the existing poster. You can be artistic and clean about the design of the overlay.

Good Luck to you and the kids! Hang in there! 

Jeannie Brzovic
    Lake Forest Park WA

• 26.  RE: postponing or cancelling a show

Posted 11-06-2015 11:43

Thank you all for your responses and your support! Everyone had wonderful points and really helped me think through everything. 

After much deliberation I decided to carry on. I agree that cancelling is not a good option, except in emergencies as some of you mentioned. Postponing was definitely more of a real option, but I ultimately decided that the best way to serve the students and our educational purpose (in our particular case) was to keep the show dates the same. We had a short cast and crew meeting where I laid it all out and gave them an eloquent and inspiring speech (haha- probably not, but I tried) and basically said if we fail, we fail together and if we succeed (and I still believe we can), then we succeed together. Either way.. we're in this together and we fight on. It's hard for me to let go, but I need to. This is as much of a learning experience for me as it is for them (if not more so!).

Anyway, I don't have much time to wax eloquent on the details because I have a production opening in less than a week! Again, thank you all for your thoughtful and very helpful responses. I'll let you know how it goes...

Emily Olson
    Theatre Teacher and Director
    Port St. Lucie, FL