Open Forum

View Only

Mics

• 1.  Mics

Posted 11-01-2015 09:41

Stage mics or hanging mics for a high school auditorium, thoughts?

------------------------------
    Brian Getz
    Smithsburg MD

• 2.  RE:Mics

Posted 11-01-2015 10:17
    In my experience, regular handheld mics work much better than hanging mics. When moving set pieces around, they can get caught on your hanging mics. Additionally, members of our show choir have accidentally hit them while they were dancing on the risers. I've found that they also don't seem to be very durable in general, but if you're looking to amplify an ensemble the best option is to get them to project.

---------------------------------
    Amy Ariel
    Troupe 4250 - Honor Thespian & Presidential Scholar
    Mills E. Godwin High School
    Henrico, VA

• 3.  RE:Mics

Posted 11-01-2015 16:52
    I think the question is too vague to get good feedback. If you are producing musicals, you will want body mics for as many people as possible. This gives you the maximum flexability. If you have other purposes, the SM 58 is an industy standard mic that is extremely durabl and will work for almost anything.

Jonathan Pitzer
    Theatre Teacher
    McKinney Boyd High School
    McKinney TX

• 4.  RE: Mics

Posted 11-02-2015 08:07

I'm ordering some floor mics, anyone have experience with them?

Elizabeth Simmons

• 5.  RE:Mics

Posted 11-02-2015 08:31
    We have some floor mics at school but rarely use them because they don't work. Granted, I don't know how long we've had them nor how well they were treated before they stopped working.

Amy Ariel
    Troupe 4250 - Honor Thespian & Presidential Scholar
    Mills E. Godwin High School
    Henrico, VA

• 6.  RE: Mics

Posted 11-02-2015 08:32
    Hello all,
    I would love to invest in some floor mics or hanging mics, but I don't know the first thing about them.
    Any advice from anyone who has experience with them on the brand or style of mic to buy for either floor or hanging?
    Thanks you!
    Michael 

--
    ---

Mr. Michael Maguire

Morristown High School
    Technology Education Department 
    Graphic Design • CAD • Wood Design & Technology
    MHS Theatre, Artistic Director
    MHS Broadcaster, Co-Advisor
    PGC, Advisor
    GSA, Advisor

This email and any attached information ("email") is confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed in the body of the email. This email may contain information that is privileged, confidential and prohibited from disclosure or unauthorized use under applicable law.  If you are not the intended recipient or person responsible for delivering this email to the intended recipient, you have received this communication in error, and any review, use, disclosure, dissemination, forwarding, printing, copying, distribution or taking any action in reliance on this email is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this email in error please immediately notify the system manager, sender or the Morris School District by telephone or email and permanently delete the original email and remove all copies from your system.

• 7.  RE: Mics

Posted 11-02-2015 08:45

When it comes to floor mics, an industry standard is the Crown PCC-160.  It's a solid microphone, but I often found it to be a little fragile for high schools and repeatedly had to get them repaired or cables replaced because of the weak connector at the mic itself.

A few years ago, I switched to the Bartlett Audio Stage Floor Mic.  It is designed by Bruce Bartlett, who also worked on the design of the PCC-160.  It is very similar and the quality right on par with the Crown if not better. I have found it to be far more rugged, especially the Mic-C that has the permanently attached cable.  They are definitely worth checking out if you are in the market for stage floor mics!

Jim Sagona | Theatre Program Director
    Tippecanoe Center for Performing Arts | Tipp City, OH
    JSagona@TippCity.k12.oh.us

• 8.  RE: Mics

Posted 11-02-2015 09:24

IMO

Love the Crown PCC160, and Bartlett's permanently wired version is great, but at $265 there are other alternatives,  One of the best value for money items currently available is the Shure CVB-B/C at around $99 each - they have a permanently attached 12ft cable.  The other I like on a bang for bucks basis is the Peavey PSM3 at aouund $75 which has a mini XLR connector like the Crown.

Most failures are caused by the cable  failing not the microphone, and a replacement cable is about $25 to 35 each dependiing on length and brand.

I am still using PCC160 that I purchased second hand when I arrived in the US in 1998.  Plus the little beyer ones I have had for at least a decade are still going strong.  Have replaced a couple of cables only in all that time on the 20 odd I own.

Rod

Rod Reilly
    Somerset NJ

• 9.  RE: Mics

Posted 03-07-2019 11:46
    If you do a search for Shure theatrical microphone pdf, there is a guide that helps you pick a model.  They are great for dramas, not musicals.

Brandon Kalbaugh
    Theatre Arts Director
    Broad Run High School
    Ashburn VA

• 10.  RE: Mics

Posted 11-02-2015 09:11
      |   view attached

My personal preference - based doing sound with school drama groups since 1983 - is boundary microphones on the the floor, on risers and sometimes on moveable set pieces, plus a couple or 4 long shotguns aimed at the areas that need capturing.  I also usually use some hanging microphones if they are not subject to being hit.

BOUNDARY MICROPHONES:  are those flat microphones that lay on the floor (or on any other hard surface).  Only use directional units.  They are fairly immune from footfall noise unless the actors are wearing heavy hard soled boots or tap shoes.

SHOTGUNS: are those long barrel mics ranging from 12"to 30" long.  The longer the barrel the more directional the pickup pattern.  Best placed forward of the stage edge out of the way of being hit by actors or moving set pieces.

HANGING MICROPHONES:  preferably do not use dynamic microphones.  Use small capsule condensers with wire frames that allow you to point them at specific sections of the stage and not straight down at the floor.  If you must use a handhel mic,find a way to hang them so that they are not hanging straight down.  (I use the mic clip to hold the mic, then loop the mic cable and twist it into the screw thread of the holder - loop should be close to the mic (8-10"). Now you can swivel the clip up and down for vertical positioning and twist the whole clip on the cable to adjust horizontal placement. (see pic)

As with all microphones on stage, deactivate any microphones that are not needed in a scene to maximise your gain before feedback (headroom).

Obviously, since my business is called Bodymics, my preference is for every actor to be fitted with a wireless system and some sort of bodymic - earset, headset, lavalier/wig/hair/body mic.  However that is rarely possible or practical.

CANT HEAR THE CHORUS? TRY THIS.

If you have a chorus that is moving around a lot while singing and you are having a hard time hearing them, use a small ensemble side or back of stage (visible or not) singing directly into handheld vocal microphones (can be on stands).  Make sure all harmony parts are represent and a mix of voice types - then add these to the mix at the lowest level that gets the vocals heard - this way it sounds a little more natural when added to the acoustic and distant miked sound coming from the chorus.

Hope this all helps a little

Rod

Rod Reilly
    Somerset NJ

• 11.  RE: Mics

Posted 11-02-2015 14:03

The answer to your question depends upon several factors.  One of the key considerations is the type of program (rock concert, orchestra concert, choir concert, play, musical?) and how the visibility of the microphones affects the aesthetics of the stage.  A secondary concern is the type of sound system arrangement you have and whether it is prone to feed-back (squealing) or not.

'Stage Mics' are typically something like the AKG (formerly Crown) PCC-160 or Bartlett Audio Stage Floor Mic, and can do well for large groups of performers and well-blocked scenes with smaller groups.  They can also be hidden on tables, on the back of posts and props, and in the ceiling of set piece overhangs (inner below).

Hanging Mics are typically something like the Audax ADX40 or the Audio Technica 853AU, and can also do well if they are close enough to the performers.  Where the floor mics are about 60" (vertically) from the performer's head, to get the same effect you need to hang the overhead mics low, about 60" above the performer's heads.  This makes them very visible (about 10' above the floor).  As the microphones are raised further, they offer less gain before feedback.

A third alternative that works well for orchestra an choral concerts is to use 'stick mics' like the Ace Backstage CSM series.

In general, you want to use cardioid or hypercardioid pick-up patterns for overhead mics.  Hanging mics tend to want to twist and re-aim themselves at the most inopportune times, so keeping them aimed towards the performers is typically achieved by tying them back to a piece if scenery or an batten further upstage with some very fine black monofilament line.

Performer blocking is important.  If the performer's mouth does not have a direct line-of-sight to the microphone, then the sound will be attenuated and muffled.

With any microphone arrangement, it is typically necessary to 'ride gain' continuously so that the microphones that are not in use are attenuated 10-15 dB when not need.  The fewer open mics that are active at one time reduces the likelihood of feedback occurring.  If you are using a digital audio mixing console you may be able to save the scene-to-scene levels as cues to help automate the changes.

Also, the 'hollowness' that is common when using microphones onstage can be helped if you are using a digital type audio mixing console that has delay settings for the individual microphone channels.  An article about this can be found here.

Filter out the unnecessary sound.  Voices have very little sound below 100Hz or above 8KHz.  Filtering off these parts of the microphone pick-up will affect the sound very little and can eliminate footfall sounds and squeaky noises.  Learn to use your High Pass (Low Cut) and Low Pass (High Cut) controls.

Another alternative to fixing the gain-before-feedback issue doesn't involve the microphones at all.  This would be using a loudspeaker system that contributes less correlated sound back into the microphones.  Many sound system loudspeaker arrays (clusters or line arrays) spill sound back to the stage in a manner that stimulates the feedback.  There are several ways to correct this:

• Replace the speakers with highly directional arrays.
    • Replace the speakers with a DML type speaker like the Tectonic Audio Labs PL-11.
    • Relocate or Re-aim the speakers to reduce sound spill onto the stage.

Note:   The work rigging speakers should be left to qualified riggers as these are heavy devices that are hanging over people's heads.  The design sound systems involves more than just buying speakers - we highly recommend that a school seek out a sound system design consultant so that you get an objective qualified design that can be put out for bid proposals by multiple contractors.

There are also hardware and software tools that create very narrow 'anti-feedback' notch filters to reduce the onset of feedback.  These don't work well on an mix of all the microphones, but can be helpful if applied to each individual  microphone.  The downside of the anti-feedback filters is that they frequently create very audible changes to the sound.

Erich Friend
    Theatre Consultant
    Teqniqal Systems