Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Classroom Decorating

Posted 10-28-2015 18:11

Hi Everyone! 

I recently accepted the position of Educational Outreach Coordinator at Reno Little Theater, and am working on making the classroom space at the Theater my own. I was wondering if anyone had any genius ideas for decorating--quotes or images to paint on the walls, ways to use the space effectively, ways to make it look inviting and exciting to be in...

Right now, it is basically a blank canvas. It's a single room, but we have lots of wall space and some shelving in there already, as well as a computer for sign-ins for classes and workshops. 

We just finished our first test-run of classes, and are pushing for January as our big class enrollment! I am so excited, but I want the space for the kids to be memorable! 

------------------------------
    Sara Phillips

• 2.  RE: Classroom Decorating

Posted 10-28-2015 19:47

My classroom is decorated with playbills from shows I've either seen or was in (both as an actor and a techie). My kids love it and always look for the new playbill after I've seen a show. I also have interspersed posters of some of my favorite productions.

Another fun idea would be to have everyone choose a quote from a show or playwright and post those on the wall.

:) 

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: Classroom Decorating

Posted 10-28-2015 20:57

Theatre quotes are great!

When I go to NYC, I usually grab as many/all the brochures of the shows currently playing.  I have some of those hanging in my room.  Even if I haven't seen it - the covers are usually bright and cool looking.

Check with any local theatre house that hosts touring shows.  I'm close to the Blumenthal in Charlotte and they collect their posters and do a big poster event each year.  They just give them away. 

I also took red butcher paper (free at my school) and "framed" my dry erase board and my smart board with it.  Cheap, but made it look like theatre curtains. 

I had a bulletin board two years ago that looked like this that I loved...I want to have a more current one since that's old news now.  I loved the idea though.

Jennifer Simmons
    Lexington SC

• 4.  RE: Classroom Decorating

Posted 10-29-2015 08:44

I decorated my classroom with posters of Stanislavski, Uta Hagen, and a few about different periods in Theatre History. You can Google "Educational Theatre Posters" to find resources or PM me and I will share a link to where you can find some.

Matt Ludlam
    Instructor
    Flower Mound TX

• 5.  RE: Classroom Decorating

Posted 10-30-2015 14:28
    I have posters from past shows side by side with large cast/crew photos from those productions.

• 6.  RE: Classroom Decorating

Posted 10-29-2015 18:04

Some great theatre classrooms I've seen have had all of their previous show posters hung up on the walls, which not only looks great, but is also a constant reminder of memorable moments for students.  I also have seen great theatre-related quotes hung up around classrooms (classic "Act well thy part; there all honor lies," and "Art is craft, not inspiration," along with other famous artists' words), which never fail to inspire and entertain me.  We have many bookshelves filled with scripts, librettos and theatre books, but have run into issues with painting wall art, as our space is limited.  I wish you luck in finding the perfect way to arrange your room!

Grace Alt
    ITO Vice Chair
    Wyndmoor PA

• 7.  RE: Classroom Decorating

Posted 10-30-2015 17:03

Thanks, everyone! The images are great and got my mind working! I will have to post some pictures after I decide what to do! 

Sara Phillips