Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Pippin

Posted 10-19-2015 12:59

I am considering Pippin for the HS musical this year, two concerns, I am low on boys, so has anyone done this with more female, and what parts (leading players seems a natural) can be played by females? Second, i know this show is a HS staple, but how do you handle the sexuality? Has anyone ever had push back from it?  Thanks!

------------------------------
    Jeffrey Davis
    Plainsboro NJ

• 2.  RE: Pippin

Posted 10-19-2015 13:45

Also.. the fire trick! How the heck does that work?

Jeffrey Davis
    Plainsboro NJ

• 3.  RE: Pippin

Posted 10-22-2015 07:50

We did Pippin last Spring and we tried many things for the fire but then we actually built a box, one that used in the Opening number as a "disappearing person box" with a fake door so someone could actually disappear by going behind a facade of a door within the box.  In the finale, we used the same box, put a person it in.....used lights and smoke to create the fire effect as the person went behind the facade door and left skeleton, charred of course, in his place.  The lights we used were Chalet Geysers and they provided an awesome effect.

Best Wishes.  We had a blast doing the show. We used a cast of 19: 

7 males

11 females but we double cast Berthe who were faculty members. 

David Valdes
    Director of Theatre
    St. Paul's School
    Concord NH

• 4.  RE: Pippin

Posted 10-19-2015 16:42

Open Forum

Schooltheatre remove preview
    Open Forum
    Hidden page that shows all messages in a thread
    View this on Schooltheatre >

Above is a link to a previous discussion about Pippin from February, one of several, and this thread deals with the fire, the duck, and sexuality. I think there are other threads on the community that deal with this, but this was the first thread I pulled from a search on Pippin on EdTA community. :)

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Hillsborough County Schools
    Ruskin FL

• 5.  RE: Pippin

Posted 10-20-2015 06:37
    I staged Pippin a couple of years back, and my students and community loved the show. For the "With You" song, I had Pippin dance with a lot of girls in red and black with long red scarves. At the end each encounter, the girls left their scarf on Pippin so that by the end of the entire song, he was wrapped up in many red scarves. I used the song and metaphor to talk to the students about how we think casual sexual encounters are liberating, but they actually entangle us. It led to some great conversations!

~Denise

• 6.  RE: Pippin

Posted 10-22-2015 03:27

I produced Pippin May 2014, and it was an amazing experience for all involved.  I did get some flack from a couple of families for some of the content.  My "With You" was with girls and boys, and a couple of people objected to the "same sex" touching.  But, it was our most successful show to date, and we wound up with the state award for outstanding musical, so I guess it wasn't too over the top! 

We used large pieces of lycra fabric to create the orgy scene at the end of With You, and ended with it wrapped around Pippin.  I gave all the students the choice to be in this number, and anyone that was uncomfortable stepped out (I featured them in a different number.)  I've attached a photo of that scene and a couple of others, if it's helpful.  If you have any specific questions, let me know! 

This was an amazing experience, working on this show.  I wish you all the best!  Shileah

Shileah Corey
    Mountlake Terrace WA