Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Importance Of Being Earnest

Posted 10-16-2015 00:01
    Has anyone ever seen or set the Importance Of Being Earnest in a time period other than London 1890? Does anyone think that this show could be set in a different time period? Thanks!

---------------------------------
    Jessica Zeigler
    Theatre Teacher/Director
    Monahans TX
    ---------------------------------

• 2.  RE: Importance Of Being Earnest

Posted 10-16-2015 09:18

I was in a production that, at least costume and scenery-wise took place in the 1920s (If you ask me, it was a choice driven more by costume needs than by any statement that the director was drawing out of a text, but I can't speak for him.)  It didn't seem too jarring a design decision.  I do recall there were just a couple of changes in language (e.g. "Get the Rolls," instead of "get the coach." )

I remember from googling images some time ago, I stumbled on photos from a production that was clearly set in the 1950s.  Didn't see the production though.

I've directed this play, and it seems so specific, so much about its setting, that it's hard for me to imagine transporting it.  But it could be done if the reason were compelling enough.

------------------------------
    Ryan Moore
    Theatre Teacher and Forensics Coach
    Royal Oak MI

• 3.  RE: Importance Of Being Earnest

Posted 10-16-2015 09:29
    I would avoid it. The play, the language, the upper class morays are so firmly rooted in Edwardian England, it would feel entirely out of place anywhere else. Also, for high school students, the play is deceptively difficult. I would be more inclined to take on Charlie's Aunt by Brandon Thomas. Which is similar to Earnest and Moore accessible to mu trained young actors an is great fun. CA has more women's roles and could possibly play outside its period, although it's perfect where it is. Check it out.

Thomas Q Fulton, Jr
    Director
    Academy For The Performing Arts
    400 East Washington Street,
    Chagrin Falls, Ohio 44022
    Tomtq2@gmail.com
    440-247-5500 x 4334

• 4.  RE: Importance Of Being Earnest

Posted 10-17-2015 07:58

I echo the plea to keep it as written. The attitudes, the syntax, the expectations and cultural assumptions within the play are deeply rooted in Wilde's script. We open a production the end of this month. 

John Friedenberg
    Director Of Theatre
    Wake Forest University Dept of Theatre & Dance
    Winston-salem NC

• 5.  RE: Importance Of Being Earnest

Posted 10-17-2015 14:30

We mounted a production last year and I had a guest director who really wanted to change the period/style.  After a great deal of conversation he agreed that the language, conflicts and cultural references were clearly specific to London in 1895.

Nancy Curtis

Director of Theatre Arts

www.patriotplayhouse.org

State Board: Virginia Thespians

www.vathespian.org

Member: USITT/Chesapeake Region

An amateur rehearses until he gets it right.

A professional rehearses until he can't get it wrong.

• 6.  RE: Importance Of Being Earnest

Posted 10-17-2015 14:58

I think you could tweak it a little as long as you don't lose the sensibilities the others have commented on.  You don't have to go literal on everything as traditionally done--I saw it done by our state theatre company and this was their set design.  As love unfolded, lighting began to color to the peacock fan which was just a gorgeous metaphor.

Debbie MacKinney
    Theatre Teacher, CTE Technical Theater, Troupe 7334 Advisor
    Tanque Verde Unified School District
    Tucson AZ

• 7.  RE: Importance Of Being Earnest

Posted 10-19-2015 09:11

Debbie,

Can you share the Company name for the picture you posted?  I'd love to see photos of the fan changing.  This would make an awesome addition to our lesson plan on the impact of lighting on a story!

Thanks!

Amy Learn
    Ballwin MO

• 8.  RE: Importance Of Being Earnest

Posted 10-20-2015 22:19

It was Arizona Theatre Company, but I did a google search to find this.  Not sure if you can find much.  The Scenic Designer was Yoon Bae.  I see one more image with a little color in my search.  

Debbie MacKinney
    Theatre Teacher, CTE Technical Theater, Troupe 7334 Advisor
    Tanque Verde Unified School District
    Tucson AZ

• 9.  RE: Importance Of Being Earnest

Posted 10-17-2015 22:23

I directed a production of EARNEST several years ago and moved the time period up to 1914. This allowed for a slenderer ladies skirt silhouette which helped with space on stage, and didnt hurt the intent of the play because it placed it at the very end of the Edwardian era instead of the end of the Victorian era. It also allowed for extravagant hobble skirt fashion for Gwendolyn which placed her on the cutting edge of high fashion as compaired to the simplicity of Cecily.  And Lady Bracknel can still be in a slimmer silhouette and be fashionably matronly.

Floyd Nash
    Pompano Beach FL