Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Classroom Posters Derived from NCCAS Standards?

Posted 10-13-2015 19:03

I've got a lot of bare walls in my classroom (my room is also a performance space, so I've always resisted doing anything too "classroom-y" with them and instead gone the more understated neutral space route--always undermined by my desk area---yes, I am "piler."  It is my organizational strategy of choice.)

But now I'm toying with turning one wall into something of a shrine to the new national standards.  (I've softened on my earlier "neutral doctrine" and awakened to the fact that it is a classroom after all, and maybe it's not so terrible, in this social climate, for parents and community members to come in and see that there is rigorous, standards-based learning happening in this public space.  (Also, we've gotten pressure in the last couple of years to post daily an essential question and were given dumb dollar-store white boards to post them on--stupid for myriad reasons including that fact that they keep falling apart and how is anyone supposed to see them in a big room AND who wants to keep erasing and writing?  I really do love the essential questions from the NCCAS standards--I'd venture to say that they are my favorite part of the standards and that, if a teacher was inclined to grab hold of only one thing from the standards, that teacher would be wise to hold fast to these.  I figure no evaluator--and it is the high stakes evaluation process that we are answerable to in 2015, right?--can fault me if I have these permanently posted.)

I'm wondering, has anyone else endeavored to take on a similar project?  I'm not talking about the kind of posters I've received attending EdTA conferences.  These are graphically lovely and informative, but they are meant to be viewed up close, and I'm dreaming of something that can be read across the room. I am certainly computer-savvy enough to figure out how to print large the items I'm thinking about (Possible inclusions: The four artistic processes of creating/performing/responding/connecting, the anchor standards, the theatre-specific essential questions, and, perhaps, the enduring understandings), but I'm not above borrowing from/building on someone else's efforts.  It'd be amazing if there were some graphically beautiful large-scale posters that could adorn a classroom wall based on these standards.

Happy to invent the wheel, but reluctant to re-invent it,

Ryan

------------------------------
    Ryan Moore
    Theatre Teacher and Forensics Coach
    Ferndale MI

• 2.  RE: Classroom Posters Derived from NCCAS Standards?

Posted 10-13-2015 22:55
      |   view attached

I've also wanted to do this but have very limited wall in the black box classroom.  We had to make "Thinkers" posters in each department showing how students should draw inferences, ask questions, visualize  in English, Math, Science etc.  I attached the one I made for Theatre.  I started with the National Core Art Standards Essential Questions and then had my department chair say boil it down to student friendly language and came up with the the poster that is attached.
    Tom Skobel
    Theatre Teacher and Director
    Lake Zurich High School
    Lake Zurich, IL

Attachment(s)

pdf
    Drama Thinkers Poster.pdf   579 KB 1 version

• 3.  RE: Classroom Posters Derived from NCCAS Standards?

Posted 10-14-2015 07:12

This is an excellent resource, Tom! Thanks for sharing.

Like you, Ryan, I am also a bare/nude classroom. Not because I want it to be, it just got lost in pre-planning. I equally await the results of this thread, as I am also looking for a 'I can read this from way over here' poster that has the NCCAS standards on it...

...I'll be right beside you otherwise re-inventing the wheel in about a week. :)

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Hillsborough County Schools
    Ruskin FL

• 4.  RE: Classroom Posters Derived from NCCAS Standards?

Posted 10-14-2015 08:21

I'm a full time Drama teacher and as a side hobby I have been designing/publishing Theatre Specific educational classroom posters and selling them online and at Texas Theatre Conventions for the last 4 years. So far I have about 21 posters, with another 7 being printed this December. I would be happy to make a few of the essential questions. I might need to create an indiegogo/kickstarter campaign to fund the print run, but I have done it before. Let me know what specifics you would love and I will get to work designing.

Matt Ludlam
    Owner/Instructor
    Shop.LudlamDramatics
    Flower Mound TX