Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Help Needed

Posted 10-13-2015 08:42
    Hello Everyone!  I need help with a play question ASAP.  I am a mom (again) to a four month old and this year is really been difficult.  I am just constantly behind.  My Advanced Drama class needs a play to do and I can't find anything I like or that suits them.  In the past we've done Anatomy of Gray, Fame, Almost, Maine, All I really needed to Know I learned in Kindergarten, It's a Wonderful Life, Backwoods Romeo, and Picnic.  I need something that is fairly well-known as we are a completely self-supporting program so if I don't sell tickets we can't do the next show.  A Christmas play is a possibilty, even though our show dates are a little early for that.  I really don't care whether it is a drama or comedy.  I think this group of kids would do better with comedy, but they really want to do a Drama.  There are 4 men (one of whom is always suspended) and 8 women.  Any suggestions?  

Amy Neal Bussey
    Stuarts Draft High School
    Drama and English Teacher
    Theatre Program Director
    VHSL One-Act & Forensics Coach

• 2.  RE: Help Needed

Posted 10-13-2015 11:23

Complete Works of William Shakespeare Abridged or Complete History of America abridged are extremely funny and can work with a good mixture of students.  If looking for something more challenging as a drama Laramie Project is an excellent show as well.  Best of luck!

------------------------------
    [Chris] [Veneris]
    Theatre Educator/NC Chapter Director]
    Guilford County Schools
    [Greensboro] [NC]

• 3.  RE: Help Needed

Posted 10-13-2015 14:30

I agree with Christopher that the Complete... series is a good line for comedic options, and there is also All the Great Works (abridged).

Does your audience prefer a thru-line plot or are you open to script that are arranged as scenes and monologues that center around a general theme? If that is okay either Class Action or Second Class by Brad Slaight are good options and there is a lot of flexibility in how you cast. 

If you are willing to go gender blind we did The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde by Noah Smith about 8 years ago. I think it called for 5 males, but you could play with that (possibly). It was definitely a dramatic piece and it sold really well. Parents also like it because, even though it is a "horror" piece, it is based in literature.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 4.  RE: Help Needed

Posted 10-13-2015 15:32

I think there is a radio play version of A Christmas Carol.  It would need minimal costumes and sets.  Or with a class of 12, how about 12 Angry Jurors (the gender mixed version of 12 Angry Men)

Robert Ellis
    North Richmond VA

• 5.  RE: Help Needed

Posted 10-14-2015 07:07

Hi Amy,

This play has had huge success in the UK, a top pick at the Edinburgh Festival and the playwright has written for BBC and worked for National Theatre. It's brilliant - funny and challenging and based on Ken Robinson's TED talk 'Do Schools Kill Creativity'. 

https://www.treepress.org/scripts/the-electra-project

Hope this is helpful and you find something perfect soon! 

Good luck :O) 

Adrienne Ferguson
    Creative Director
    TreePress
    London. United Kingdom
    adrienne@treepress.org

www.treepress.org
    Making theatre easily accessible for everyone, everywhere.

• 6.  RE: Help Needed

Posted 10-14-2015 07:47

"Fools" by Simon is great for a large cast.  "Alice in Wonderland" always a great sell.  Fun comic book spoof "Mighty Man and the Zombie Curse".  Runaways or Up the Down Staircase are large cast dramas.  Bad Seed another favorite but not a large cast.

Kendra Walls
    Rome0 MI

• 7.  RE: Help Needed

Posted 10-14-2015 08:59

Hi Amy,

You might take a look at "The Good Doctor" by Neil Simon. It can be done with a small cast or you can cast the scenes independently. It can be staged with suggested pieces of scenery and lighting.

It's fun and witty. 

Jeannie Brzovic
    Lake Forest Park WA

• 8.  RE: Help Needed

Posted 10-14-2015 17:45

Twelve Angry Jurors

The Laramie Project

Check Please

David Kramer
    Mt Sinai NY

• 9.  RE: Help Needed

Posted 10-15-2015 07:52

Wiley and the Hairy Man by Zeder is a great, expandable cast where the performers have to stretch as they assemble into the different settings/scenery of the piece.

Drop Dead Juliet! or Postcards from Shakespeare, both by Allison Williams, are really fun.

Mutually Assured Destruction is a fairly new collection of sibling fights through the 20th century. Could be expanded/contracted as needed, with flexibility on the genders.

Check, Please 1, 2, 3

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Hillsborough County Schools
    Ruskin FL

• 10.  RE: Help Needed

Posted 10-17-2015 16:48

A Christmas Carol would be a huge success.  It might be interesting to do it with a cast of 12, have folks play multiple roles.  Could be a lot of fun.  Cross curricular might also be an option, most of the scenes are pretty self contained and you could work on certain moments in class and others after school.  We did the show with a very minimal set-- painted the floor like grey wood and went totally into the costumes.  It was great.  There are some picture on our website if you want to see what we did.  Home

Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC