Eager to hear,

Lisa

--
    Lisa DiFranza
    Assistant Principal for the Arts
    Manatee School for the Arts
    941-721-6800 x 1138

---
    This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
    https://www.avast.com/antivirus

• 2.  RE: playwriting

Posted 10-09-2015 10:57

Ms. DiFranza,

I've taken numerous students to the "Reaching the Write Minds" program through one of our local children's theaters, The Coterie.  The program is an all day writing seminar that we do with a local playwright, sometimes nationally known/syndicated or in artistic residence here (with KC Rep for instance).  About 20 students spend the day in a coffee house theatre away from campus (a great 'creative' diversion) writing settings, scenarios, monologues and dialogues between characters.  The guide I wanted to attach is what is used during the day.  My e-mail is shannon.peery@kckps.org.  Send me an e-mail and I'll send you the guide if you're interested.  There are many other ways that, on a daily basis or through a unit taught in short or block periods for a number of weeks, playwriting can be taught to/explored with students.  You can begin with a real-life 'problem' and have a dialogue resolve it or, for dramatic/comedic purposes, 'make it worse' (different in comedy than in drama -- and that really depends on the tone with which the writer treats the material).  Dramatic, and realistic improv, is also a great way to get ideas for playwriting.  A knowledge of plays, historical periods, styles and formats is also very helpful to be able to use as a reference or starting point.

Hope this adventure goes well!  Break a leg!

Mr. Shannon Peery

Sumner Academy of Arts & Science

------------------------------
    Shannon Peery
    Kansas City KS
    ------------------------------