Open Forum

View Only

SNOW MACHINES!?

• 1.  SNOW MACHINES!?

Posted 10-06-2015 22:45

Snow Machines!?

...for A Christmas Carol. I am planning several -- at least 2 for the audience -- and 1 signifiant one (or 2 medium) (or 3 smaller) snow machines for the stage. It's most important that it be front and center stage, but I don't want it to clump and look awful.

Totally new to this.
    Brands? 
    Models?
    Rent or Buy?
    Website or Company you've rented or bought from? 
    Costs?
    Thoughts? Experiences? Warnings?

The problem is I'd love to get one now, about 2 months before the show to start playing with it. I have no idea how to set it up, rig it, how far it will go, how loud it will be, etc. The other 2-4 we end up getting can be rented, but I'm thinking we'll only get them for a week or 2. The first one I want to have for more time to play with -- but I don't want to buy it for $1,500 and then never use it again after this show... or have it break and realize I should have just rented. Thoughts?

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

------------------------------
    Michael Maguire
    Artistic Director
    Morristown High School 
    Morristown NJ

• 2.  RE: SNOW MACHINES!?

Posted 10-08-2015 15:11

Michael -

Rent Them!  There are a number of great theatrical supply and rental houses near you.  Rates should be around $40.00/day, $80.00/week... Rent one unit now - Experiment with it - then when you return it -reserve your unit/s for tech and production weeks.  If you decide to make it an annual event then look into purchasing them... Check out Zeo Brothers Fog, Haze, Bubbles & Snow | Lighting Equipment Rental | Zeo Brothers: Rental/Retail  They are a little further away but their rates are better than the companies closer to NYC...  

By the way, some of the fluid based machines leave a residue on the stage floor and can become slippery!  Itt's a great question to ask the rental company ans something you should test as well before making your final decision.  You can always easily fabricate a snow sling and fill it with Artificial Snow!  It’s ½” plastic snow flake that falls beautifully an works great for set dressing.

I designed and technical directed a annual production of A Christmas Carol for 14 years in Canton, OH so I have a bit of experience with Artificial snow... Good Luck 

Don Keith

• 3.  RE: SNOW MACHINES!?

Posted 10-09-2015 09:19

What is a snow sling?  We are doing Almost, Maine next month and I would love to have it snow from above rather than the wings. ;)

Bernadette MacLeod
    Charlotte NC

• 4.  RE: SNOW MACHINES!?

Posted 10-11-2015 12:18
      |   view attached

I've always known it as a snow drop or snow bag.  It's possible if you have the budget to rent one from Rose Brand or a local theatrical supply house.  If you want to have one for your stock (we use ours every year for holiday concerts and stuff) then make it.  

Take a piece of medium weight unbleached scenic muslin that is 3 ft wide and as long as you want the snow to drop across the stage. Generally I would make it as long as your proscenium opening minus a few feet on each side so it doesn't snow on your legs.  

To do this right you will need some webbing material, tie line or bias tape and a grommeter and grommets.  All of those things are readily available at the bigger craft stores, or from Rose Brand.  (I would just skip the craft store and order that stuff from Rosebrand.com.)  

Finish the ends so they won't fray.  Stitch on the webbing and grommet down both long sides.  You only need a grommet every 12-18 inches.  Then cut slits about six inches long in two lines.  (See my little drawing attached.) If you want this bag to be most effective and last a long time, finish each hole like a button hole so it doesn't fray.  That also holds the slits open just a little bit, allowing the snow to fall out more readily.

Rig it between two battens next to each other on your fly system.  With the bag set for the solid side lowest, fill the bag with snow.  (We use CITC Snowbiz, but if you are in a place that's very humid you might want to use a synthetic snow - corn snow gets a little sticky over time in a humid environment.) Carefully fly it out (just grab both ropes and take them out together.)  Once it's up in the fly gallery, lock the rope on the side with the slits, and use the other rope to lift the snow against the slits, gently rolling it back and forth to move the snow through the slits.

Have fun!  See our gallery for some beautiful photos from our production from 2009.

Hope this helps,

John
    John Morris
    Instructor/Technical Director
    Clark County School District
    Las Vegas NV

Attachment(s)

pdf
    snowbag.pdf   129 KB 1 version

• 5.  RE: SNOW MACHINES!?

Posted 10-13-2015 08:37
    A snow sling or snow cradle is easy to make.

Two boards the length of the area in which you want snow with fabric between them. The fabric is filled with slits which allow theatrical snow to be shaken out of. The contraption is suspended above the stage with pulleys and cords attached to one of the boards. The cords are pulled to shake the cradle and the snow falls out the slits.

• 6.  RE: SNOW MACHINES!?

Posted 10-13-2015 10:20

Yes! Highly recommend the snow sling! We used one for Almost, Me a few years back and the snow is lovely, can be manipulated easily, and is easy to set up.

Jennifer Jordan
    Drama and Dance Director
    Miss Hall's School
    Pittsfield MA

• 7.  RE: SNOW MACHINES!?

Posted 10-24-2015 11:01

It's always worth checking to see if any theatres or universities in your area have them since they might just let you borrow. We're doing The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe in Nov, and I was able to borrow two really nice machines from a local theatre company at no charge. 

Lee Daugherty
    Mt. Vernon High School
    Alexandria VA

• 8.  RE: SNOW MACHINES!?

Posted 10-27-2015 09:15

What about a snow bag?  You wouldn't be able to do it over the audience.  Too much to clean up.  If you're interested, check with dance companies near you (Nutcracker).  They can be homemade as well but you are using poly snow with it.  Lots of vacumning. 

Valerie Scott
    Duluth GA

• 9.  RE: SNOW MACHINES!?

Posted 10-28-2015 11:22

Leaf blowers make quick work of clean up of snow and confetti. Some one here (ME) thought it would be a great idea to use confetti twice now in two different shows. You blow it all to one area and then have a big shop vac waiting.

Douglas Parks
    Junior Thespian Director Troupe 88963
    #BlennyTheater
    Instagram: BLENNYTHEATER
    Twitter: @Blenny Theater
    Blennerhassett Middle School
    "Classrooms change when students start to believe their thinking matters."

• 10.  RE: SNOW MACHINES!?

Posted 11-02-2015 08:34
    Thank you for all of your help everyone!
    We ended up buying 2 Little Blizzard snow machines on sale from a local theatre that did not want them anymore.
    We will use these for over the audience, and on stage, we will be creating a snow sling, as per your suggestions.
    Thanks again for all of the great feedback!
    – Michael 

--
    ---

Mr. Michael Maguire

Morristown High School
    Technology Education Department 
    Graphic Design • CAD • Wood Design & Technology
    MHS Theatre, Artistic Director
    MHS Broadcaster, Co-Advisor
    PGC, Advisor
    GSA, Advisor

This email and any attached information ("email") is confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed in the body of the email. This email may contain information that is privileged, confidential and prohibited from disclosure or unauthorized use under applicable law.  If you are not the intended recipient or person responsible for delivering this email to the intended recipient, you have received this communication in error, and any review, use, disclosure, dissemination, forwarding, printing, copying, distribution or taking any action in reliance on this email is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this email in error please immediately notify the system manager, sender or the Morris School District by telephone or email and permanently delete the original email and remove all copies from your system.

• 11.  RE: SNOW MACHINES!?

Posted 10-25-2015 09:01

We bought something called a Fiesta Maker online, which is usually used for confetti, and use it as a snow machine. It's subtle and creates a realistic effect. It was also way cheaper than a snow machine.

I'm also a fan of the good old fashioned snow sling.

Lisa Houston
    Pennington NJ