Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Agatha Christie's A Murder Is Announced

Posted 10-06-2015 10:56

In order to celebrate the 125 year anniversary for Agatha Christie I wanted to choose one of her plays to produce this year and I have fallen in love with "A Murder Is Announced."  It's super fun and my students are loving it too.  However, I CANNOT find anything to use for the two matching lamps of a shepherd and shepherdess without breaking the bank.  Has anyone done this show before??  I've looked for statues that I could just attach to a lamp base and am coming up empty there too.  I'd appreciate any help anyone can give!

------------------------------
    Amy Crane
    Michigan City IN

• 2.  RE: Agatha Christie's A Murder Is Announced

Posted 10-07-2015 07:27

I did this play last year and I was in the same boat. I went to the dollar store and the rooster lamp was by the door and the hen lamp was upstairs.

Steven Abaroa
    Gilbert AZ

• 3.  RE: Agatha Christie's A Murder Is Announced

Posted 10-07-2015 08:00

With Christmas coming up, maybe you could find a nativity shepherd and turn it into what you need. I have seen bigger ones around at various stores. A nice size set could also be located at a religious supply house. You'd have to modify the one male to female but I doubt most audiences would nit-pick. 

Kati Heintzman
    Thespian Advisor
    Middletown City Schools
    Middletown OH

• 4.  RE: Agatha Christie's A Murder Is Announced

Posted 10-07-2015 08:57

I am also doing this play this fall and am in the same dilemma.  I looked all summer at antique stores for suitable lamps and finally decided to try this.  I found 2 lamps (see enclosed picture) that I plan to have a student paint a picture of a shepardess and shepard on each.  I'm not sure how it will look but that's the best I could come up with.  Good luck with your play.  My students are also having a great time with it.

Janet Rhoads
    Drama Teacher
    Andale KS

• 5.  RE: Agatha Christie's A Murder Is Announced

Posted 10-07-2015 12:45

Do you have a ceramics teacher at your school?  They may be able to find some greenware for you and fire it.  Or ask if they're ceramic students might be interested in the making the props for you.

Terri Ferguson
    Performing Arts Chair
    Ursuline Academy of Dallas
    Dallas TX

• 6.  RE: Agatha Christie's A Murder Is Announced

Posted 10-07-2015 13:25
      |   view attached

One of my students ran to a thrift store and bought these two lamps for $5.00.  Another student then painted the shepherd and shepherdess.  You and I know that the lamps are supposed to be porcelain figurines, but the audience doesn't. 

Rob Albrecht
    Aurora OH

• 7.  RE: Agatha Christie's A Murder Is Announced

Posted 10-07-2015 15:21

Hi, Amy! 

I did this production several years ago and found a couple statues at an antique store that we were able to make pass as a shepherd and shepherdess. We added a circular foam base to two matching lamps and attached the statues to that foam base - from a distance, it worked great! 

If you were interested in the statues, I'd be happy to work something out - message me and we can discuss further. 

Teresa McGrath
    Greenville SC

• 8.  RE: Agatha Christie's A Murder Is Announced

Posted 10-11-2015 07:31

Amy, I have the Shepherd and Shepherdess lamps and will be happy to sell them for what I paid for them ($40.00 plus shipping) if you are interested. When is your production?  Email me at floyd.nash@browardschools.com. However, I am going to be out of town from the 13th to the 18th for IB training, so I really need to shop tomorrow if at all possible. Break a leg!! I love the show. 

Floyd Nash
    Pompano Beach FL

• 9.  RE: Agatha Christie's A Murder Is Announced

Posted 10-13-2015 14:27

If you go the route of having them put on plain lamps, you could just find pics you like on the computer, print them and then use Modge Podge to apply.  It looks really good and it is super easy.  

Georgann Lanich
    Tallulah Falls GA