Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Student Dramaturgs

Posted 10-03-2015 12:55

Have to start with a moment of bragging.  I met an incoming student at orientation this year who wanted to be part of an honor society, but was afraid of being on stage.  Talking with her, I discovered that she enjoys doing research and reports, one of the least pleasant parts of planning a production for me.  As a result, I asked her to come help me with the upcoming play to do some research and help the actors create a better show.  She jumped at the opportunity and is even exited about taking it a step further to produce educational lobby displays about theatre, our Troupe, and the world of the play ('Epitaph' by George Cameron Grant).

Would appreciate some feedback on ITS points to award.  My feeling is that her position is roughly equivalent to Publicity Manager in terms of scope.  In fact, both positions have a team of three students working for them.  Does this sound like a 6 point per production position?

------------------------------
    Jym Kinney
    Troupe Director
    Tacoma WA

• 2.  RE: Student Dramaturgs

Posted 10-04-2015 21:52

Thespian points are meant to represent 10 hours of service to the troupe per point.  Figure out how much time is spent researching, creating presentations and displays, and teaching the cast and crew.  Divide by ten and round up.

Josh Belk
    Director of Theatre
    Monument CO