Open Forum

View Only

Co-curricular vs. Extra-curricular

• 1.  Co-curricular vs. Extra-curricular

Posted 09-26-2015 16:10

I'm curious if anyone would like to weigh in on a debate between offering theatre productions as a co-curricular activity or as extra-curricular productions. Most theatre programs that I'm aware of offer theatre strictly as extra-curricular productions. Students volunteer by auditioning for the production, rehearsals are held after school and there is no connection to a theatre class.

Are there any programs out there that offer theatre strictly as a co-curricular activity where productions are mounted as an extension of a theatre class? Rehearsals are done mostly in class with performances open to the community. This model seems to work well for the other performing arts: choir, band and orchestra. I was curious to see if anyone follows that sort of model and if so, how it works.

What are the advantages that one model holds over the other? Thanks!

------------------------------
    Jim Peterson
    Indianapolis IN

• 2.  RE: Co-curricular vs. Extra-curricular

Posted 09-27-2015 06:19

Here at our school we do both.  Since the drama classes are mixed levels, they aren`t all ready for a big performance in the fall (although they do some scenes in Dec. or shows for the elementary school). So the Fall Play and the Winter One Act for competition are separate from the classes.  Then in the spring, each class produces a full length play.

Advantages of extra-curricular; only the truly interested are involved.  Disadvantages; numbers can be low because of conflicts with other activities (this is sort of an advantage too, since smaller plays can be done.)

Advantages and disadvantages of co-curricular; anyone can be involved- sports or academic problems are not an issue, larger numbers.

I feel this duel system has built our program.  I have had a few students choose drama over sports after being in the class and having a taste of the stage.  I have had students take the class for four years, and never participate extra-curricular.  The higher quality of the fall and winter extra-curricular shows motivate the classes, and the fresh insight brought into class productions by "less" drama-y students pushes the others to step it up.

Korreen Ditschler
    APO AP

• 3.  RE: Co-curricular vs. Extra-curricular

Posted 09-27-2015 09:12

Hi Korreen,

I'm interested in this model, since our productions are largely extra-curricular, but when have the potential for more. Would love to talk more about this.

Lisa

Lisa DiFranza
    Assistant Principal for Arts Education
    Palmetto FL

• 4.  RE: Co-curricular vs. Extra-curricular

Posted 09-28-2015 08:45

Our middle school program is exclusively co-curricular.  One of the main benefits of this is that, since the vast majority of rehearsing occurs during the school day, students don't have to choose between sports or other after-school activities and theatre.  Of course, the flip side is that students who can't fit theatre into their schedule are left out.  

Ryan Moore
    Theatre Teacher and Forensics Coach
    Ferndale MI

• 5.  RE: Co-curricular vs. Extra-curricular

Posted 09-27-2015 09:51

Hello,

i have been teaching my advanced theatre class as co-curricular for the last 25 years. Sometimes we have even had a "latebird" or after school meeting time. The bggest difficulty I have found is that I am continually explaining the concept to parents and I have meeting with the principal whenever we get a new one to explain ( yes, and justify) the concept.  It is a semester long, repeatable course. My Theatre Arts Survey course is the pre-requisite, and it meets in a traditional manner. I have a variety of "tracks" (costumes, props, stage management, acting) within the course to accomodate athletes or students with jobs who want to participate. We have a mandatory 2 to 2 1/2 weeks of tech/ dress which takes place after school. 

Feel free to contact me directly if you want details as I could go on for days on the pros/cons of the program. For the most part, it works well.

Holly
    Holly Thompson
    Worthington OH

• 6.  RE: Co-curricular vs. Extra-curricular

Posted 09-27-2015 09:52

My productions are done as an Advanced Acting class comprised of juniors and seniors who have taken Acting I and II.  I rehearse in class and on Wednesday evenings only until two weeks prior to the shows, when rehearsals are then every day.  

The huge advantages--1.  Students all have a common vocabulary and they understand how I work as they've been trained together.  2.  Because there are only two weeks of crazy, and I can work around conflicts on Wednesday nights, and students are cast in either the November play or March play, they can participate in a sport or choir or any other extra curricular event as well as be in theater. I have a large variety of types of students.  3.  Students already know each other before their first plays and are bonded.  4.  I know the students really well and can cast more easily.  5. Fewer night rehearsals for everyone.

The disadvantages: 1. I want to find good roles for the specific students in class, so choosing plays becomes really time consuming. I often do two shows at the same time in order to make that happen, and that's difficult.  2.  There are some amazing actors out there who never found room in their schedules for acting, and who can't audition for shows.

In general, I love the co-curricular model. 

Kimberly Taylor
    Oakland CA

• 7.  RE: Co-curricular vs. Extra-curricular

Posted 09-27-2015 11:44

Hello Jim,

Our program is co-curricular predominantly, but is more of a hybrid in actuality. All productions develop out of the theatre classes. However, students in those classes still must audition for the roles. We mount numerous productions with students from grades 6-12. 

However, we do also incorporate other students from outside the theatre program into the productions. We also have productions that cross age and grade boundaries. For example, our spring musical (Sound of Music) will audition students from the elementary and middle school divisions at our independent school. In addition, there are some after school and weekend rehearsals leading up to the show to bring the whole cast together and integrate those performers from outside the core theatre classes.

I have run my program this way since I took the position 10 years ago. The program has never been more successful. Limiting the after school rehearsal burden removes many of the barriers for students involved in sports and other extra-curricular activities for participating in theatre productions. Participation in the theatre classes has exploded as well. My first year, I had two high school theatre classes with about six kids in each. Now I have four high school classes (Theatre 1-4) as well as honors levels in theatre 2-4. More than 50 high school students are consistently enrolled in theatre classes out of a student body in the high school of 235. The middle school has 170 students and about 60 of those students will take performing arts/theatre as their elective this year. 

This year in the high school we will produce 4 one act plays, including one that will tour for competitions, and 3 full length plays including one musical. In the middle school, we will produce 2 sixth grade one acts, 1 seventh grade play and 2 eighth grade productions including an eighth grade musical (that will involve seventh grade in the chorus). All of these productions are primarily cast from and rehearsed in the theatre classes. 

Cheers!

William Eyerly
    Gainesville FL

• 8.  RE: Co-curricular vs. Extra-curricular

Posted 09-27-2015 16:12

Jim,

I think there is a distinct value in having a co-curricular theatre course.  There was a year I taught our acting courses for my colleague while she was on maternity leave.  I incorporated the NIES as a unit of study in auditioning (something that isn't usually done in the course).  Most of the students in the advanced class, the course I put this into, attend State, and I require anyone who is not a first-time attendee to State to participate in some way, IEs being one of them.  I had tremendous work being done that ended up doing well at State.  All of the other years, we haven't done as well because I am doing coaching after school around contest play, fall play, and musical rehearsals.  I give the students credit, though, because they do go into it with energy and excitement despite the busy schedule. 

Additionally, doing things like IEs in class, then taking it to State to me is the same as band/choir/orchestra going to ISSMA.  It's taking standards based activities and getting that external feedback that our music colleagues get. 

Now our advanced acting classes do a rotation of improv and scripted shows that are open to the public.  However, students are permitted to take the class for three years, and that's all they do.  So I would love to see some curricula from others on how to take the co-curricular notion and expand it past improv and basic scripted shows. 

In talking with my administration, however, they do not like co-curricular courses because then they can't drug test the kids, and there have been a couple of incidents where students have gotten in trouble with substance issues.  I don't know that drug testing students would have prevented this from happening.  Rather, a policy of consequences for what happens if it occurs would be optimal.

This is a great thread, Jim!  Thanks for starting this and I hope we hear from others!  Can't wait to see you at Regionals too!

Raymond Palasz
    Schererville IN

• 9.  RE: Co-curricular vs. Extra-curricular

Posted 09-27-2015 19:48

Our program has both co and extra-curricular productions.  We have two production classes, first semester we focus on a children's theatre production that we use as outreach to our elementary schools in our district.  With this production there are no out of class rehearsals.  In the spring we always have a large scale musical which has in class and after school rehearsals.  it is a large commitment for the students.

In addition we have a fall show which is entirely extra-curricular and four times throughout the year student directed one-acts.  We do between 25 and 35 one-acts a year.  Then my advanced classes perform for invited audience for their final projects.

We find the blend a very workable way of accommodating all of the students.  AND they still want to do more.

Stewart Hawk
    Garfield High School, Seattle WA

Washington State Thespians Co-Chapter Director

• 10.  RE: Co-curricular vs. Extra-curricular

Posted 09-27-2015 20:07

I am in the middle ( or end) of a dispute with my administration.  I will keep this short.  My administration believes that my after school productions are co-curricular, so I am not paid a stipend for my after school work.  It's their way of not paying for the work I do. I tried to explain that it is EXTRA Curricular, but got no where.

I am also in charge of our Performing Arts Center, so work any extra event, and once again even, not paid for my time.  

I am told this is part of my job.  I added my extra hours together and presented it to the administration but not listened to.  

I am getting ready to retire in a few years, have done great work, and finding the Arts are not being supported at our school.  I hate sounding negative, but I hope everyone else fights for the ARTS and what you are worth.  

So, if you are not going to be paid, do it in the classroom unless you have an administration that values your work.

Please don't take this wrong.  I love my kids and the phenomenal work they have produced in theatre.  38 years of teaching theatre have taught me a lot, but I despair at how many administrators see no value.  Although, I have had the pleasure of working with some great ones!

Believe in what you do!

John Freeman

Mount de Sales Academy

Theatre Director / Fine Arts Director
    Macon GA

• 11.  RE: Co-curricular vs. Extra-curricular

Posted 09-27-2015 21:45

Jim,

I currently do both. I direct two productions, and also piloted a one-semester theater course last year, in which we create an original Halloween show followed by an end of semester documentary theater piece. I love that this style of class exists alongside the extracurricular theater ensemble shows and a full-year Drama class. The new class came out of a need for more one-semester offerings at school and a passion of mine for devised theater. The students in this particular class are invited by experience and ability to collaborate with others.

Jen

Jennifer Jordan
    Drama and Dance Director
    Miss Hall's School
    Pittsfield MA

• 12.  RE: Co-curricular vs. Extra-curricular

Posted 09-28-2015 08:06

We do both.

For events like the One Act Competition as well as other Speech/Drama/Debate events, we do them as co-curricular class projects.  The students involved are given a rubric and are graded based on things like:

Script Preparation

Adherence to schedule/professionalism

Dramaturgy

For our Spring Musical, that is open to the entire student body and we treat it as an extra-curricular event.  However, most of the technical work (set building, lighting focus, etc.) is handled during the day during drama classes. Again, the students are graded based on a rubric.

Hope this helps.

Josh Ruben
    Fine Arts Head, Northwest Whitfield
    Chattanooga TN

• 13.  RE: Co-curricular vs. Extra-curricular

Posted 09-28-2015 13:04

Both is ideal if you can get your admin to go along...  the duality can work well together!!!  Some of the scheduling stuff can be worked through.  

As long as there are some opportunities for all it is ok to have SOME class-exclusive shows (co-curricular) makes rehearsals viable for lots of our performers.  

Also, it makes for a really packed season (2 musicals, 3 full scale plays, and a number of other shows spun together in the whole season)

Daniel Stowell
    Teacher / Director
    Dublin OH

• 14.  RE: Co-curricular vs. Extra-curricular

Posted 09-29-2015 07:38

After my first year of only doing extra-curricular, we went ahead and incorporated both.

Pros and cons:

1. Extra-curricular: Those amazing actors who can't be in your class get a chance to perform, as well as many others who just wander in on a whim and never walk out again. These students are all there out of choice, and there seems to be a better work ethic than in class productions (this is based on last year's experience, which might be changing this year). Sports is a problem, especially when you have coaches who refuse to respond to your email or recognize that drama is a valid subject and requires rehearsal.

2. Cross-curric: small percentage of kids who don't want to be there, sometimes messy because sometimes you really need to work with just three people out of a class of 50, so classroom management needs to be super on point. Pro is that kids get a genuine sense of purpose and are making something for public viewing.

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Hillsborough County Schools
    Ruskin FL

• 15.  RE: Co-curricular vs. Extra-curricular

Posted 09-30-2015 06:24

I see a lot of people doing co-curricular (probably because that was what the post asked about), you all amaze me! I could not work a play like that, the short rehearsal period (a class vs. say, two hours after school) would drive me batty. My hat is off to you.

That said, clearly I am an extra curricular guy. A point to also consider in it's favor - in addition to those other's have mentioned - you typically get a stipend for it. Those extra $$'s are key to my life, so i would hate to see it go bye bye by moving plays into classes. Something to consider before you approach admin.

Jeffrey Davis
    Plainsboro NJ

• 16.  RE: Co-curricular vs. Extra-curricular

Posted 10-01-2015 09:58

Hello Jim

My program is a combination program like many of the others who have responded. Here are the advantages that I have found by constructing a combination program.

I offer Improv, Advanced Acting and Technical Theatre classes in the traditional schedule and I offer a "after school" class in Theatre Production (for us it is called 7th period).

• The number one advantage is that Theatre Production is part of my salaried assignment. I start one period later than my colleagues, but I am required to teach one period later than my colleagues.
      • Disadvantage - it makes attending staff meetings and IEP meetings a little more complicated.
      • Advantage - Helps me to keep my life schedule manageable. I teach history as well as theatre, being able included my most time consuming and complicated class IN my job description means that that is 30 less history essays or research project to prep, plan, teach and grade! 
      • Starting an hour later is great during hell week!
    • Auditions - held after school (I have worked out with my administrators and registrar to post the class during registration as a teacher permission only class and to hold the class open with no students until auditions are complete. This allows me to open auditions to the entire student population
      • not all students can work a theatre elective into their schedule, especially music, language and Advanced Placement.
      • Students who have taken acting/tech classes in previous year are able to maintain participation in the program, providing experience and student leadership 
      • students with college aspiration have the opportunity to build a resume
      • allows me a broader population to draw from
      • diminishes the "favoritism" and only a small group of kids get all the roles stigma 
    • Extra Curricular - I still have three aspects of the program that are outside of the curriculum (well sort of).
      • Drama Club/Thespians - student organization that provides leadership and support for all productions and activities
      • We have a TheatreSports team as a componet of our drama club. It is a competitive improv team and is subject to the same requirements as any competitive team. It is not a class and is 100% extra curricular
      • Musical Production - (while it is also a class - because I am spoiled and refuse to put in that much time and energy without it being in my teaching assignment). We rehearse for our 50 min required class time AND then and additional time (usually another hour) following class everyday. 
        • Advantage - after the required class time I can dismiss students not needed for the rehearsal - this requires a well prepared schedule prepared before rehearsals being but has many great benefits.
          • sports kids can participate (if they are not the A squad of the basketball team)
          • parents can expect kids to be home early to help at home, do homework...
          • kids with jobs can schedule their work days
          • transportation can be managed for kids who do not drive
          • kids do not get bored or frustrated sitting around and doing nothing because they are not in the number/scene being worked. 
          • ASB financial support - we have an ASB club account and fundraising $ and ticket sales $ money go into that account to support TheatreSports and the Musical. ASB can be counted on to provide financial support if requested early (year before) or if an emergency occurs. 
          • I still get a stipend - Drama club, Theatresports and Muscial all require extensive extra curricular time.

Hope that helps :)

Jeannie

Jeannie Brzovic
    Lake Forest Park WA