Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Accommodations for Those with Special Needs

Posted 09-20-2015 17:53

I am doing a unit on monologue writing for my Theatre 1 students. I teach in a school with several students in my class who are on the autistic spectrum, have a learning disability, or are on the cusp of being illiterate. I don't have much experience teaching these types of students. Most of my experience has been in private schools with small classes. Would any of you have any ideas of how to implement accommodations for these types of students?

------------------------------
    Allison Stroud
    Drama Teacher
    Jacksonville FL

• 2.  RE: Accommodations for Those with Special Needs

Posted 09-20-2015 18:39

Allison:

If they are SPED or 504, look at each student's IEP, the accommodations should be listed. If they are ESL, English Second Language learners, there are different strategies to help get them writing but depending on the level makes a difference on how or what is required, also they could be dyslectic so they have different requirements.

I have had life skills students do great in my classes and on level or GT kids be a real challenge, so just because a student is in a special population is not an indication they can't or won't do the work, though I am sure you know that.

Each special population student should be ID'ed to you. Check with your SPED or ESL people to get more info on the specific challenges you might be facing. And ask for help, I have found SPED and ESL teachers tend to be very protective of their students and willing to help if they can.

Greg Alldredge
    Head Director
    Cypress TX