Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Duets for musical theatre workshop class

Posted 09-18-2015 15:04

Hello Everyone! So I am teaching a musical theatre workshop class for the second year. Last year I had them perform solos for graded performances in which he had workshopped for several class periods. This year, I really want to have them work on duets (or trios) because I really love working on the interplay between two characters - characterization, physicalities, relationships. I would really love some suggestions on good duets I could use for the class. I have a few books of duets but nothing big. The students in the class just love to sing and most don't really have a large knowledge of musical theatre. I am looking for all kinds duets (or trios) - female/female, male/female, male/male -- doesn't matter. Thanks!!!

------------------------------
    Andrew Ballnik
    Drama Teacher/Director
    Lake Oswego OR

• 2.  RE: Duets for musical theatre workshop class

Posted 09-19-2015 09:24

The Hal Leonard Musical Theatre Anthology Series has 2 duet volumes with great duets. You can also search Scribd.com for vocal scores from great musicals. I teach a similar class and I was able to find a great book called Acting in Musical Theatre: A Comprehensive Course. This takes kids through song study, character analysis, score analysis, audition techniques, etc. It is available through Amazon, however if you contact the Publisher Routeldge they can send you a free copy of the textbook. The link to their website is Routledge

Routledge remove preview
    Routledge
    This site is operated by a business or businesses owned by Informa PLC and all copyright resides with them. Informa PLC's registered office is 5 Howick Place, London SW1P 1WG. Registered in England and Wales. Number 3099067.
    View this on Routledge >

. The 2nd edition now has a companion website with videos from directors, powerpoint slides, etc.

Philip Forman
    Director of Choirs & Musical Theatre
    Thompson School District R2-J
    Loveland CO

• 3.  RE: Duets for musical theatre workshop class

Posted 09-20-2015 13:44

There is also a GREAT book, "Musical Scene Study: The Musicals of Rodgers and Hammerstein", that I use and is divided up by types of scene: male/female, male/male, female/female.  Some scenes have trios in them, and I believe one or two scenes that are even larger.  I'm using it right now for my Musical Theatre 1 students.

Musical Scene Study : The Musicals of Rodgers and Hammerstein (Study Guide)

Amazon remove preview
    Musical Scene Study : The Musicals of Rodgers and Hammerstein (Study Guide)

View this on Amazon >

Michael Hancey
    Musical Theatre Teacher/Theatre Guild Sponsor
    Laramie WY