Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Stuck Student

Posted 09-15-2015 10:36

We do frequent improvisation exercises in class, including an improv-based Game Day about once a week.

I have one student who is new to theater and struggling with nerves. She can perform from a script with some ability, and when given specific tasks to improvise she can do at least a passable job. But when she is called upon to initiate an activity, she completely locks up.

Even a task as basic as "Pantomime holding an object of your choice," she gets stuck and says she can't figure out what to do.

I feel strongly that she is blocked by the stress of a "right" choice and the pressure of "looking good." I'm struggling with how to break down that barrier. Any thoughts?

------------------------------
    Josh Kauffman
    Teacher
    Winfield AL

• 2.  RE: Stuck Student

Posted 09-15-2015 11:17

You might try having a partner start the scene with her so she isn't feeling overloaded with pressure. Something I do the first week in every theatre 1 class is have wach student recreate a moment of their toddler life in front of the class. That usually helps the shyer kids get over the stage fright since everyone is feeling the same silliness. 

Another thing that you might do is create body pictures. I'll show the kids a picture for just a few seconds and then start calling names. The students take on a shape that is reminiscent of a portion of the picture. As each kid adds in they should create a human version of the original picture. The need to create a visual that she's already seen should hopefully remove the pressure of making a choice.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: Stuck Student

Posted 09-16-2015 11:15

Josh, I think you're right. It seems like the issue is that she's thinking too much; once she starts to think about it, she becomes paralyzed. It's like the actor's version of writer's block, in which the editor is entering the room too early.

I wonder if there's some way to backdoor into what you want her to do. For example, if she can improvise specific tasks, is there a way to jump incrementally from something specific to something non-specific? Maybe something physical where she just has to go with it? For example, if she's eating something specific you tell her to be eating (assuming she can do that), can she then move to eating her favorite food? Eating the worst meal ever? (etc) Good luck!

Cheers,
    Jonathan

Jonathan Dorf
    Playwright/ Co-founder of YouthPLAYS/ Co-chair of The Alliance Of Los Angeles Playwrights
    Los Angeles CA

• 4.  RE: Stuck Student

Posted 09-19-2015 12:18

Hi Josh,

I often get sky/inhibited students in my improv classes (this semester I seem to have an entire class of inhibited students and another that is an overly eager class). I handle it in a variety of ways, some of which I am sure you have already tried, but I give you a few suggestions that work for me and hope that in there you'll find a useful idea :)

I start with the build up of the importance of improv: both for actors, but also for "real world" application (email me if you want my powerpoint - brzovicj@edmonds.wednet.edu). 

Remind the students that people take improv for many reasons and that in the class there are various levels of comfort. For some it is natural and easy and for others it is a huge struggle AND that for those who struggle, getting on stage is the hardest thing in the day that they will do. Students are graded on individual progress so that a student that is at easy with improv may get an B for their effort because they did not take risks on stage even though their improv was good, but a student who is more challenged by improv may get an A, because they took greater risks, but only had an adequate scene as compared to the other. I find that explaining that evaluation is not on how funny a scene is, it is in the individuals effort...that I am no comparing student to student but looking for individual effort. This can sometimes relieve the concern that I am not as good as the others so I will get a bad grade no matter what I do. 

I have also had students make suggestions for characters, places, things that could fit in a shoe box, and relationships and then we created word list posters to display on the walls so that when a student gets stuck they could glance at the poster for an idea to keep them going. 

I make it ok for students to take suggestions from me...always insisting that they are only suggestions and they can use them or not.

I coach from the side and throw in ideas, never one idea...several so that the choice is theirs to make.

I have use a suggestion jar, where students can pull a suggestion to get started (this is a starter for improvs like - Scenes from a Hat & Emotions List)

Every scene is applauded - Students are given the opportunity to share the things that worked in the scene and provide suggestions on how the scene may be improved. I use this as a way to keep the students engaged while observing, helping them to think improv even when they are not the ones on stage. My hope is that those who are more intimidated will benefit from watching critically and eventually be able to apply the things that work and avoid the things that do not.

• During the above discussion of what works and how it could improved I tend to guide the discussion for the shyer students, so that they are not feeling criticized. I ask leading questions like "How did you know she/he was in the library? What did he/she do to communicate that they were tired? How did you know where they set the scene? Instead of letting the class nitpick the improv apart I led the discussion by selecting one thing that will bring positive comments: How could he/she added something at the end of the story to make the scene longer? We knew she/he was in the library, what other things could they add to help create that environment? The goal is to create a supportive group working together to help each other look their best. One of my rules of improv is to make your partner look good, so this is practice for that.

Sometimes, I give my student a heads up about the improv planned at the end of class the day before, or at the beginning of the period before the class gets started. I let them know that they can plan a few ideas in advance and test them out on me before we get started, if they like. I have found this works for kids who really do want to improve, this seems to give them a little extra time to wrap their heads around the improv. By allowing them to run ideas past me, they get some one on one feedback which provides a little extra confidence that they have an idea that will work...and I can gear the improv in the direction that they are comfortable with.

Hope something in there is useful!

Good Luck :)

Jeannie

Jeannie Brzovic
    Lake Forest Park WA