Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Donkey Ears?

Posted 09-15-2015 07:07

Hi Everyone,

I'm doing Midsummer/Jersey, which is A Midsummer Night's Dream set in the Jersey Shore. I'm just curious if anyone had any good ideas for donkey ears for Nick (or in my case Nikki) Bottom? Has anyone done this show or Midsummer Night's Dream before and if so, what did you use for the donkey ears?

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Allison Stroud
    Drama Teacher
    Jacksonville FL

• 2.  RE: Donkey Ears?

Posted 09-16-2015 09:30

When we did it, we used a mask.  We wanted to see the actor's face through the mask, as well.  My students constructed a donkey-head frame work out of wire (I think they used wire hangers).  They then covered it with a dark nude pantyhose, stretched taut.  Make sure the base of the false head is large enough to put over the actor's head in a hurry.

I attached a picture of something similar to what we did--it was the basis for ours.  I prettymuch told the kids to build *that* and they did a great job.

Good Luck! Break Legs!

Josh

Josh Belk
    Director of Theatre
    Monument CO

• 3.  RE: Donkey Ears?

Posted 09-17-2015 08:28

I produced A Midsummer Night's Dream or The Night They Missed the Forest for the Trees several years ago, and we used donkey ears on a headband (purchased) with a half-mask painted to match. The lower part of the actor's face was visible. 

Dianne Rowe
    Birmingham AL