Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  'Lend Me a Tenor' Question

Posted 09-13-2015 09:33

We are one week away from auditioning for 'Lend Me a Tenor' by Ken Ludwig.  I am getting some heat about the 'content' of the show.  Specifically the 'sex scene' at the end of Act II Scene I.  Has anyone directed the show, and if so, how did you handle that scene?  Did you play the Italian music as a symbol of what was happening?  

Thanks for your help.  I love the show and right now they want to butcher it.  

------------------------------
    Alex Koenig
    Teacher
    Kenton County School District
    Edgewood KY

• 2.  RE: 'Lend Me a Tenor' Question

Posted 09-14-2015 08:19

I have directed this show a few times, once it was selected to perform at Lincoln in 2001 I believe. We simply had them kiss, very dramatically/comically, and then play the fast, up tempo Italian opera music. We then went dark and after a few beats we brought the lights back up with both couples out of breath in a various states of exhaustion. It worked really well. Community standards are important here though. Make sure you are in communication with parents of the actors and your principals so they know how you are handling this scene in the show. If you have parent/principal support, you should be great.

Dan Schmidt
    Theatre Director
    USD 229
    Prairie Village KS

• 3.  RE: 'Lend Me a Tenor' Question

Posted 09-14-2015 23:42

We staged it exactly as Dan described and we ended up being okay. Finding the right costume proved more challenging than the staging. All in all let the audience put two and two together. Good lighting is your friend. We did the music and everybody loved it. In the end, if you feel good about it and the kids do, then that's all that matters. Who is giving you heat about it? Admin? Parents?

Brian Gehrlein
    Theatre Director
    Liberty MO

• 4.  RE: 'Lend Me a Tenor' Question

Posted 09-15-2015 07:32

Parents.  Specifically a few parents who are questioning if the show is high school appropriate.  I assumed I would do something similar as you described, I just wanted to make sure that it would still be effective.  And I agree, the costume will be a challenge.  I have two female teachers in charge of the costume for the scene.  And I plan on getting the parents approval as well. 

Thanks for the answer.  Any other advice?

Alex Koenig
    Teacher
    Kenton County School District
    Edgewood KY

• 5.  RE: 'Lend Me a Tenor' Question

Posted 09-15-2015 10:43

I'm thrilled that you're able to do that show at all. The simple taking-of-the-Lord's-name-in-vain issue would be grounds for getting the show shut down in my district.

I like the suggestions you have gotten so far. With the right music (I'm thinking a high, ecstatic soprano and/or tenor crescendo), you could even do a quick blackout of the actors looking steamily at each other and getting short of breath, with no need even for a kiss.

I would expect that any content-based concerns with the show would be at least understood, if not agreed to, schoolwide. Creative staging, costume, and music choices can address those concerns in a responsible, even a funny and wink-to-the-audience way. Have fun!

Josh Kauffman
    Teacher
    Winfield AL