Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Learning Goals

Posted 09-10-2015 21:00
    I know many of us are
    Having to write and post learning goals for our lessons. For most thins info this is a matter of filling out forms. But...
    What learning goals do you use for improv?

• 2.  RE: Learning Goals

Posted 09-11-2015 06:08

I would focus on what your state standards require you to teach. If I was looking at Texas I would pull from these:

1(J): identify the principles of improvisation;

2(A): demonstrate safe use of the voice and body;

2(B): define creativity as it relates to personal expression;

2(C): employ effective voice and diction to express thoughts and feelings;

2(E): employ physical techniques consistently to express thoughts, feelings, and actions non-verbally.

5(B): recognize theatre as an art form and evaluate self as a creative being;

5(C): offer and receive constructive criticism of peer performances;

5(G): use technology such as electronic portfolios, research projects,

There might be more, I went for low hanging fruit

Hope this helps

------------------------------
    Greg Alldredge
    Head Director
    Cypress TX

• 3.  RE: Learning Goals

Posted 09-11-2015 06:18

I am currently teaching improv in my acting 1 classes. My listed learning goals are to learn to work cooperatively in groups, teambuilding, and learning how to problem solve under pressure.  Hope this helps. 

Floyd Nash
    Pompano Beach FL

• 4.  RE: Learning Goals

Posted 09-11-2015 09:26

Good stuff.

We also use improv as a tool for Writing and Literacy Development.  This is part of a system-wide initiative as well as part of our State Standards.

Students also write Critiques their own work and that of their peers following our improv sessions.

Josh Ruben
    Fine Arts Head, Northwest Whitfield
    Chattanooga TN

• 5.  RE: Learning Goals

Posted 09-11-2015 11:43

Good stuff.

We also use improv as a tool for Writing and Literacy Development.  This is part of a system-wide initiative as well as part of our State Standards.

Students also write Critiques their own work and that of their peers following our improv sessions.

Josh Ruben
    Fine Arts Head, Northwest Whitfield
    Chattanooga TN

• 6.  RE: Learning Goals

Posted 09-11-2015 19:52

Looks like you have several good suggestions on ways to write learning goals already, but thought I would add a couple more.  These are based on National Standard #2:  "Acting by developing, communicating, and sustaining characters in improvisations and informal or formal productions."  They are written in the language used by the Danielson Instructional Model.

Understand how flexibility while acting improves ensemble.

Understand how trying different characterizations in rehearsal can enhance performance.

Jym Kinney
    Troupe Director
    Tacoma WA

• 7.  RE: Learning Goals

Posted 09-12-2015 12:15
      |   view attached

Our improv unit is assessed under the broader learning goal of "creates and reacts as a character using face, body, voice, and environment."

They are then assessed using a rubric that is based on three primary rules of improv:  Say the first thing; Accept everything; and Make your partner look good.  I have attached the rubric so that you can see how it is broken down.

We want students to add ideas without hesitation.  We teach them to say "Yes, and" and to create action based on previous ideas and their imaginary environment rather than blocking ideas.  We encourage them to respond to each new idea with enthusiasm, as if their partner just came up with the best idea ever.

I teach 7th graders and have used these same learning goals for high school students.  

Lynnae Lathrop
    MS Speech and Drama teacher
    Waukee Comm. School District
    Waukee IA

Attachment(s)

pdf
    Improv Rubric website.pdf   55 KB 1 version