Open Forum

View Only

Holocaust Play

• 1.  Holocaust Play

Posted 09-06-2015 08:23

With this being the 70th anniversary of the end of WW II, I'm looking for a great Holocaust play for our main stage.  We've one Anne Frank.  I'm looking at Playing for Time, 2, and I Never Saw Another Butterfly.  Any luck with any others?  Thanks--and break a leg with your first shows, everyone.

------------------------------
    Brent Cirves
    Chair, Fine Arts Department
    Byron Hulsey, Headmaster, WFS
    Woodberry Forest VA

• 2.  RE: Holocaust Play

Posted 09-07-2015 08:12

We did "Anne Frank and Me" and it was very well received.  The first time I read it I couldn't put it down and the play is very easy to produce.  The students loved it and as it also addressed Holocaust deniers.

Kristie Bach
    Retired Theatre Teacher
    Traverse City MI

• 3.  RE: Holocaust Play

Posted 09-07-2015 14:45

Hello, Brent -

We did the straight version of "I Never Saw Another Butterfly" and it was very well received. (We did it in our black box theatre  - I believe the intimate setting was good for us, but I can see this show being done on a larger stage as well.) Here is a link you might be interested in:

Drama - Plays about the Holocaust

Hope this helps!

Cynthia Macioce
    Visual and Performing Arts, chair/drama instructor
    Gahanna OH

• 4.  RE: Holocaust Play

Posted 09-11-2015 10:15

Kristie, I am doing "The Diary of Anne Frank", I've never heard of "Anne Frank and Me". Thank you for the suggestion. I will look it up. I have already posted for auditions and started my set design...otherwise I might have produced that show instead. "Diary of ANne Frank" is quite prop heavy and the set is demanding! (-:

Kim Silverman
    Director of Theatre
    The Grier School
    Tyrone PA

• 5.  RE: Holocaust Play

Posted 09-07-2015 17:08

Try "The Book of Ruth" True story of a girl and her grandmother surviving Terezin.  Small cast, great roles.  Challenging, sad, but ultimately very uplifting.

Book of Ruth

Google Books remove preview
    Book of Ruth

View this on Google Books >

Josh Ruben
    Fine Arts Head, Northwest Whitfield
    Chattanooga TN

• 6.  RE: Holocaust Play

Posted 09-07-2015 17:44

Saw a synopsis of a play that might work, And Then They Came For Me.

Wish I had the cast to make it possible.  Maybe in a few years ...

Jym Kinney
    Troupe Director
    Tacoma WA

• 7.  RE: Holocaust Play

Posted 09-08-2015 12:26

"I Never Saw Another Butterfly" was a really moving play, accessible to students since it mostly involves young teens.  Since the play has a running time of only 1 hour 15 minutes, we paired it with Celeste Raspanti's 45-minute sequel, "The Terezin Promise," also available from Dramatic Publishing.  This play finishes the story, showing how the art work, poetry, and prose made it out of the camp.  The surviving characters from "Butterfly" and new characters allow for a greater cast and more for your very talented actors to perform.  There is a very tension-filled scene with a wounded Nazi soldier in a barn where the children are trying to retrieve the art work while the camp is being destroyed by the Nazis before the allied forces get there.  We were able to use the same scenery and complete the story in one evening.

Although it was more than a three-hour bus drive, we took the cast and crew to the Holocaust Museum in D.C. where they were able to see their Terezin art and writing collection and get a deeper understanding of the Holocaust.  It made a huge impact on their performance.

Valerie Gargus
    Mt. Laurel NJ

• 8.  RE: Holocaust Play

Posted 09-08-2015 13:25

Kindertransport might be worth checking out, though it has a small cast - 5w, 1m.  Kindertransport

Dianesamuels remove preview
    Kindertransport
    Eva and Helga "EVELYN: Whatever it is you think you've discovered. You must forget it. FAITH: Of course I can't forget it. EVELYN: I certainly have." In 1938 and until the outbreak of war in September 1939, almost 10,000 children, mostly Jewish, from families at risk in Nazi occupied Germany were sent by their parents to safety in Britain.
    View this on Dianesamuels >

The Spirit of Life and Magda and Josef are two one acts published together that work very well together. They are more ensemble pieces, so you could have a larger cast.

Spirit of Life, The

Samuelfrench remove preview
    Spirit of Life, The
    "Your play showed that human nature was not narrow-minded and through that whole experience the good of the human soul did triumph over evil." - Jennifer L., student "The Spirit of Life is a great portrayal of the Jewish experience." - Melissa J., student
    View this on Samuelfrench >

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

• 9.  RE: Holocaust Play

Posted 09-08-2015 16:17

I really like Irena's Vow by Dan Gordon and Korczak's Children by Jeffrey Hatcher. 

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 10.  RE: Holocaust Play

Posted 09-08-2015 23:38

I did "I Never Saw Another Butterfly" in college and was so moved by it that I chose to produce it 3 years ago with 7th and 8th graders.  Our audiences were incredibly moved by it.  I plan to do it again at the high school level in the near future.

Laura Steenson
    Theatre Director
    Reynolds High School
    Troutdale OR

• 11.  RE: Holocaust Play

Posted 09-09-2015 09:32

Thanks for all these great recs., everyone.  Very helpful.  Break legs!  Brent

Brent Cirves
    Chair, Fine Arts Department
    Byron Hulsey, Headmaster, WFS
    Woodberry Forest VA

• 12.  RE: Holocaust Play

Posted 09-09-2015 12:38

I wholeheartedly recommend "Korczak's Children" by Jeffery Hatcher. Korczak's story is seldom told and amazingly moving. 

Blair Biederman
    Gilbert AZ

• 13.  RE: Holocaust Play

Posted 09-09-2015 09:48

Playscripts has a show called And a Child Shall Lead about a group of children surviving in a ghetto. 

Amy Sando
    Minden NV

• 14.  RE: Holocaust Play

Posted 09-09-2015 17:29

"Who Will Carry the Word?" By Charlotte Delbo is based on a true story.  Written especially for women.

Jessica Harms
    Acton-Boxborough Regional High School
    Lawrence MA

• 15.  RE: Holocaust Play

Posted 10-06-2015 18:29

"Who Will Carry The Word" can be STAGGERINGLY powerful. Read it. Here is a monologue, I believe from the character Mounette:

"I'm afraid to sleep because I'm afraid to dream."

Paul Townsend
    Scottsdale AZ

• 16.  RE: Holocaust Play

Posted 09-13-2015 20:48

Brent,

Re: a Holocaust play --

what about "And Then They Came for Me"?

Elaine Bromka
    Montclair NJ

• 17.  RE: Holocaust Play

Posted 09-10-2015 22:58

There's a musical out there which started as Masada, but is now called Imagine This.  It has some great music, nicely developed characters and a great message that will definitely make for great post-show discussions...  Not sure who holds the U.S. Rights, as it played in London some years ago and is available on dvd.

J. Michael Beech
    Gastonia NC

• 18.  RE: Holocaust Play

Posted 09-14-2015 08:00

A couple of years ago, we did "The Hiding Place" based on the book by Corrie Ten Boom.  Our community enjoyed it, and it was a good piece for our students.  I think Lifehouse Productions puts it out.  

Christine Quillen
    instructor/director
    Goshen County School District
    Torrington WY