Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Tracking affective growth

Posted 09-04-2015 19:12

I assume that, in our present cultural/political environment, many find themselves in the same place that I do: specifically the need to PROVE student growth statistically in order to keep their jobs.

I'm wondering, do any of you track students' growth in the important AFFECTIVE realms of theatre education (e.g. attitudes about theatre, self-confidence, attitudes about collaboration, and the like) and, if so, how?  E.g. Do you have a great beginning of the semester survey that students later re-take that you'd be willing to share?

This question seems well-suited to the beginning of the year for most of us, I hope.

------------------------------
    Ryan Moore
    Theatre Teacher and Forensics Coach
    Ferndale MI

• 2.  RE: Tracking affective growth

Posted 09-04-2015 23:47

I used the attached confidence test as a pre and post test to support the importance of theatre as an affective and whole-child thing-ma-bob to secure a grant to pay for my first annual theatre camp. I now use it in my classes as a secondary back-up to prove to anyone who needs it that theatre is important, because yadda yadda blah blah.

I've attached the pre-test that I use for the students. I do ask them to put their names on it, and stress the confidentially of it and that it's for data purposes and so on, so I can see how each individual student scores on it. I make sure that students see their scores 'before and after', and on the whole, generally, one notes improvement in student attitudes.

Be careful to instruct students to read each question carefully, as the questions aren't uniform (you'll see what I mean when you read it).

The file 'Confidence test' is a larger bank of 50 questions, without the formatting of the 1 through 5, as seen in the other document. Some of the questions I omitted, because. You may want to put them back in.

Be prepared to be slightly heartbroken when you do the initial run on this when you look at your student answers, but then be gently encouraged and feel the warmth of human goodness when you see their scores/confidence/self-worth feelings increase over time.

Wow I'm rambling. Have fun!

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Hillsborough County Schools
    Ruskin FL

Attachment(s)

docx
    Confidence Pre-Test.docx   15 KB 1 version
    docx
    Confidence Test.docx   13 KB 1 version

• 3.  RE: Tracking affective growth

Posted 09-05-2015 07:51

Check out Robert Marzano's books on grading and assessment.  He's got amazing rubrics that assess creativity, collaboration, etc in a general sense that I am successfully applying to my theatre classes.

Amanda Meldrum
    Drama and Music Instructor
    Allendale Columbia School
    Rochester NY

• 4.  RE: Tracking affective growth

Posted 09-06-2015 08:03

I have immense trouble with this national trend to count and catalog everything in education; however, I do agree that we need to get WAY better at telling our story and have had immense difficulty through out my tenure in sharing the absolutely fantastic work my students are engaged in every day.  It's difficult to "find the time" to share.  When I have had meetings with Rotarians and the like, it has gone very well.  So perhaps it is just a need to "get out there".

To that end, there's a new book call Counting New Beans, Intrinsic Impact and the Value of Art that I would like to see some discussion on.  And, it would be great if we could share our efforts to tell our story.

Best of luck, I will definitely look at some of these strategies.

Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC

• 5.  RE: Tracking affective growth

Posted 09-08-2015 14:00

I know I've already responded, but wanted to thank you Michael for the 'Counting New Beans' book. I sampled it on my kindle then bought the whole thing! It is fascinating so far. Based on the first 15%, this book is awesome! Wish I could have been part of the study it is based on. Very refreshing reading!

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Hillsborough County Schools
    Ruskin FL

• 6.  RE: Tracking affective growth

Posted 09-06-2015 08:29

Thanks for the advice all.

Phillip, I am presently creating a survey that not only addresses confidence but attitudes and perspectives from the new national arts standards and "21st century skills."  I'll share it here when I'm done, but I am definitely borrowing from your survey.  Amanda, I dusted off my Marzano books thanks to your recommendation.  Michael, I am similarly troubled by the quantification of what we do, but just trying to survive in this particular context rather than deny its existence.  The book recommendation looks great.  I went straight to amazon after reading your message.

Happy new school year to all.

Ryan Moore
    Theatre Teacher and Forensics Coach
    Ferndale MI

• 7.  RE: Tracking affective growth

Posted 09-07-2015 16:12

I would be interested in what you come up with for your student growth component as well. Please send me a copy! Thanks for starting this thread. It will be very important to teachers everywhere.Susan

Susan Cortesi
    Director of Theatre
    District 87
    Bloomington IL

• 8.  RE: Tracking affective growth

Posted 09-08-2015 13:06
      |   view attached

Here's the survey I developed.

Ryan Moore