Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Twelfth Night and Improv

Posted 09-03-2015 14:15

For the first time I am directing a show for the second time, Shakespeare's Twelfth Night. I have lots of strong boys and, strangely, only a few girls. Any ideas for setting/design you think might work? We have student discussions and students usually come up with a design concept, but it is always nice to have a few ideas up my sleeve. I would love some suggestions.

On a separate note, my drama classes meet just once a week for 80 minutes, and are out of necessity mostly focused on improvisation, since students don't receive letter grades and have five other academically rigorous classe. This year I have one junior high class, with half of the class taking the elective for the second year and the other half new students, and my high school class has a similar problem, with some students on their fourth or fifth go round and a few new ones. How do you keep repeat customers interested while simultaneously teaching the basics to the new kids?

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Elisabeth Ledwell
    Falmouth MA

• 2.  RE: Twelfth Night and Improv

Posted 09-03-2015 16:30

Have you tried having the repeaters help teach the games? I frequently have kids help teach the games and then play with the newbies to help have a structure to the experience. Another thought is to have the games on a rotating loop so that they don't have to redo the exact same games every time. 

For Twelfth Knight I think it would be really interesting to set it in an ancient culture from South America

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: Twelfth Night and Improv

Posted 09-04-2015 15:08

When I directed it several years ago, I had difficulty in reconciling the ending (oh, you're a girl? Ok, I'll marry your brother) with the emotional stakes of the characters and decided to stage it as a Chinese fairytale (a fascination from my childhood). That gave the designers a lot of options for costumes, props, scenic environment, and let's us play more convincingly character choices both in casting and interpretation. 

Jerf

John Friedenberg
    Director Of Theatre
    Wake Forest University Dept of Theatre & Dance
    Winston-salem NC

• 4.  RE: Twelfth Night and Improv

Posted 09-04-2015 18:39

Attached are 3 images of my last production of 12th Night. We used student-painted flats up center representing the Globe Theatre, and set pieces downstage including a Via Illyria signpost, small (moving) trees to hide behind in the letter scene, and a bench which could play indoors or outdoors. All very flexible to represent different areas, but with an eye-catching central piece as backdrop.

Richard Carter
    Lopez Island WA

• 5.  RE: Twelfth Night and Improv

Posted 09-05-2015 10:33

Last year my wife directed 12th night set in the '80s. Sort of John Hughes does Shakespeare. Elysium became a mall and all the characters were based on pop icons. The fool was Boy George. The twins were Prince, etc. The sword fight was done with pool cues. I have pictures if you're interested. 

Scott Hasbrouck
    Wheat Ridge CO