Open Forum

View Only

Aurora Borealis

• 1.  Aurora Borealis

Posted 09-01-2015 13:02

We're about to audition "Almost, Maine," and I'm beginning to think about tech issues. I have some ideas for set, but we have VERY limited options for lights (we can't even access what we do have to refocus or gel) and I'm worried about being able to create the star light and the aurora effects.  

Suggestions?

------------------------------
    Rebecca Rajswasser
    Teacher
    Ocala FL

• 2.  RE: Aurora Borealis

Posted 09-02-2015 06:17

We used white Christmas tree lights behind a scrim as star light.  If you need a low-tech option for the aurora borealis--I haven't seen this done for a long time--but once when I was in high school we used an old fashioned overhead projector with a clear baking dish of water sitting on the top.  (I think the water could be colored with food dye?) When the light from below was projected forward, someone moved the pan of water a little to create ripples.   I don't remember where the projector was so that it wasn't in front of the audience--but you could play with it to see if it works.

Holly

Holly Thompson
    Worthington OH

• 3.  RE: Aurora Borealis

Posted 09-02-2015 06:23

Can you access a projector and screen? If you can't afford a star curtain, all you need is a projector hung at the right angle and a screen, which can be your black curtain or flat. Then create a power point presentation with the fx you need. The whole wall won't light up, but it will be fine. We even ordered gobo to add to our  effect, but mostly it was the projection. We used power point for scene titles, too, as transitions between scenes, and we flew in simple things like laundry room rules sign, or restroom signs for Sad and Glad to go with the theme of everything coming from the universe above, like the shoe. It worked really well and was pretty simple!

Elisabeth Ledwell
    Falmouth MA

• 4.  RE: Aurora Borealis

Posted 09-02-2015 08:14

Rebecca,

Have you considered projections?  That is something you could operate independently of the lighting system and could give you a cool effect.

If you are willing to rent you could look into a portable dimmer pack and a small light board and do some footlights or lights on booms that run separately.  I've worked on several productions where we had more than one light board!

Cheers!

Rachel Ferrari-Engel
    Pittsburgh PA

• 5.  RE: Aurora Borealis

Posted 09-02-2015 08:36

One of the most effective methods I've seen was projecting the aurora on the ceiling of the theatre using 2 pairs of LEDs with changing color. I wonder if bouncing the light off a mirror in the bottom of a pan of water (with a small fan?) could add the movement if you were using 2-3 conventional instruments. 

The effect was more believable because it was more subliminal not being directly viewed. 

John Friedenberg
    Director Of Theatre
    Wake Forest University Dept of Theatre & Dance
    Winston-salem NC

• 6.  RE: Aurora Borealis

Posted 09-03-2015 07:16

I totally agree with John. I just worked on this show this summer and we used LED strip lights (can order on Amazon for about 10 bucks per strip) aimed at the ceiling. We also used a star projector that was being sold on TV Home shopping as a Christmas decorator. The effects were sharp and we spent a total of about $120.

LH

Lisa Houston
    Pennington NJ

• 7.  RE: Aurora Borealis

Posted 09-02-2015 08:42

We used a gobo for the aurora, with simple star gobos for the night sky. For the set we borrowed a lot of fake Christmas trees, and built snow banks out of low wood frames, chicken wire, and white felt. That was the background, and we brought on simple set pieces as needed. I highly reccomend using parka people for set changes, and signs for each act. The students painted their own signs and the parka people were characters in their own way.

Rob Juergens
    High School Musical Director
    Windham ME

• 8.  RE: Aurora Borealis

Posted 09-02-2015 10:24

We  rented an X24 machine and the lighting company showed us how to create the effect. It was amazing.

X-24 Effects

YouTube remove preview
    X-24 Effects
    This video illustrates the many effects the Rosco X-24 projector is able to create.
    View this on YouTube >

Candice Corcoran
    Kennesaw GA

• 9.  RE: Aurora Borealis

Posted 09-03-2015 08:23

Thanks for all the great suggestions!  My first thought was using a projector, if I could find a way to mount it on our high ceilings, with no cat walk, but I worried the stage lights would wash out the effects.  In terms of flying things in, I would love to, but we don't have any way to do that. I'm not even sure how I'm going to have the shoe drop in, to tell you the truth. 

Rebecca Rajswasser
    Teacher
    Ocala FL

• 10.  RE:Aurora Borealis

Posted 09-03-2015 10:59

If you're worried about brightness, you may want to consider overlaying multiple projectors.

Additionally, frontlight tends to wash out the projections so sidelight is the best choice if you want to illuminate something right in front of the projection surface.

If you're having trouble finding a place to mount the projector and you have a translucent surface onto which you're projecting, you may also want to try projecting from the back.

Hope this helps!
    Amy

• 11.  RE: Aurora Borealis

Posted 09-04-2015 14:56

Rebecca - the brilliance of ALMOST MAINE is that it can work regardless of the tech resources you have. I will work perfectly well to throw the shoe onstage, to wave a piece of silk or use a wind chime for the aurora borealis. Just play the characters straight a sincere, with out any guile or selfawareness and avoiding ANY hint of stereotypes or humor, and your audience will with you every second of the show, laughing, crying, and identifying with each moment of the characters' journeys. 

Jerf

John Friedenberg
    Director Of Theatre
    Wake Forest University Dept of Theatre & Dance
    Winston-salem NC

• 12.  RE:Aurora Borealis

Posted 09-08-2015 11:10
    Absolutely! I did this show in a tiny community theatre without a fly system or anything too complicated, we kept everything simple and just threw the shoe on stage. Don't get too bogged down in the details, the stories are more important.

-------------------------------------------
    Ginny Butsch
    Community Manager
    Educational Theatre Association
    Alexandria KY
    -------------------------------------------

Sent via Higher Logic Mobile

• 13.  RE: Aurora Borealis

Posted 09-03-2015 14:03

We did this last year and I have a really small theater with lights that we cannot gel or change in any way.  I had a talented student dancer become "aurora" and dance to the music.  She wore a great colored costume and make-up.  We created a flickering effect with the lights that we have, very dim, while she danced.  It ended up so good, I would do it again even if I had all the right equipment. She is the one who dropped the shoe and sprinkled snow when needed.  She really came to embody the spirit of the aurora and magic that was moving through all of the scenes.  It was a great unifying element.  The crowd loved it!

Georgann Lanich
    Tallulah Falls GA