Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  PDI--Design Storm Crash Course: Applying Creative Ways to Teach Theatre Design

Posted 08-29-2015 18:48

Here's my shameless plug to take my Theatre Design PDI. You'll be glad you did because it's both practical and FUN! :)

Ready! Set! Design! In one 6-hour PDI, you will get a crash course in multiple ways to approach a theatre design, including a focus on “–isms”, that model what you could do in your own classrooms. Participants will read a micro-play and hear a mini-lecture about “–isms” and other inspirations, before dividing into design storm teams. Then go! Apply each design technique to the play. In teams, participants choose an “-ism” or another inspiration, develop a designer’s concept statement, decide a color palette from ones provided, and create actual designs for every area of technical theatre using drawings or found images in record time for multiple plays. Teams share their designs and discuss how the concepts can be expanded to a full unit of study or a whole course. All content is aligned with national standards and participants will receive access to a Theatre Design and Technology curriculum map detailing alignment, as well as supplemental materials. Some materials will be available in the Library post-PDI.

------------------------------
    Jo Strom Lane
    Roosevelt HS, Theatre Teacher and Director
    Portland Public Schools
    Portland OR

• 2.  RE: PDI--Design Storm Crash Course: Applying Creative Ways to Teach Theatre Design

Posted 08-30-2015 10:37

Jo,

i am interested! Details? Contacts? Calendars?

Warren Kerr
    Theatre Arts Teacher
    Auburn School District
    Auburn WA

• 3.  RE: PDI--Design Storm Crash Course: Applying Creative Ways to Teach Theatre Design

Posted 08-30-2015 14:51

It's a wonderful PDI offered at the EdTA National Conference, one of a few excellent opportunities to go deeper. I'm looking forward to going! Have to say, it was a tough decision, as there were some amazing options, but I chose this one because I think this is currently my weakest area!

The EdTA conference is in St Petersburg Florida, at the Tradewinds hotel, October 1st to 4th. 

Can't wait!

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Hillsborough County Schools
    Ruskin FL

• 4.  RE: PDI--Design Storm Crash Course: Applying Creative Ways to Teach Theatre Design

Posted 08-30-2015 13:32

I am assuming this is an online opportunity?  I would love details.

Nancy Curtis
    Director of Theatre Arts
    Virginia Beach VA

• 5.  RE: PDI--Design Storm Crash Course: Applying Creative Ways to Teach Theatre Design

Posted 08-31-2015 08:34

This sounds great! Should we have gotten info about workshops yet? I registered, and received a confirmation, but no schedules or anything yet. 

THANKS for the heads up on this!

Dianne Rowe
    Birmingham AL

• 6.  RE: PDI--Design Storm Crash Course: Applying Creative Ways to Teach Theatre Design

Posted 08-31-2015 19:45

To answer several questions at once...

This PDI is offered as a post-conference on Sunday as an add-on when you register for EdTA this October in St. Pete, Florida. It is not online, but rather very interactive when you are attending the workshop itself. Some items we will cover in the workshop will be available in the Library after the workshop is over, but not all materials.

I hope you are able to register, if you haven't already. (Thanks to those who have!)

I'm sure that once the overall conference schedule is set, all participants will receive notification about their registration.

Looking forward to sharing some great techniques for teaching theatre design with my colleagues.

Jo Strom Lane
    Theatre Teacher and Director
    Portland Public Schools
    Portland OR