Open Forum

Β View Only
  • 1.  TYA Play Accomodating for Mostly Female Cast and Centered On Social Issue(s)

Posted 08-29-2015 08:36

This year I have 22 in my Children's Theatre class. Only 6 males. Previously we have devised or adapted, but this year I would like to utilize a published script. We've done the fairytale thing and typically showcased character acting. I would love suggestions for something somewhat contemporary/social issue based, gender flexible, and appropriate for elementary school kids. I am currently pursuing TreePress and Dramatic Publishing. Always tough trying to find the perfect script, right? πŸ˜™

------------------------------
    Steven Beckingham
    Drama Teacher
    West Linn High School
    West Linn OR

• 2.  RE: TYA Play Accomodating for Mostly Female Cast and Centered On Social Issue(s)

Posted 08-29-2015 10:21

Are you familiar with The Bully Plays?
    Some of the short plays in the collection might work well for your purposes.
    Rosalind Flynn
    Head of the M.A. in Theatre Education
    The Catholic University of America
    Silver Spring MD

• 3.  RE: TYA Play Accomodating for Mostly Female Cast and Centered On Social Issue(s)

Posted 08-29-2015 11:08

Rosalind, I just came across them in the catalog! Thank you. Definitely worth considering!

Steven Beckingham
    Drama Teacher
    West Linn High School
    West Linn OR

• 4.  RE: TYA Play Accomodating for Mostly Female Cast and Centered On Social Issue(s)

Posted 08-30-2015 07:31

Have you considered doing "Inherit the Wind?"  It is the anniversary of the trial and several schools received scholarships to produce it.   And no matter what text you choose, how about gender neutral casting?   I've seen this problem    posted several times--how many girls and boys are in our programs or class and how it influences our casting.   If we start in our classes---modeling these casting choices---might we not influence the next generation of theater goers not to be surprised by a female Hamlet and not even mention the fact she's African American?  

And solve this problem for theater teachers permanently?  

Obviously, you need to check with publisher about their restrictions.  Neil Simon wouldn't allow us to switch the genders of the lovers in "Fools" so we had a women dressed in men's clothing and man dressed in girl's clothing and everyone referred to them by the pronouns Simon had written, and the audience just assumed after the first scene, that's the way this world worked.  Audiences aren't as stupid as we assume and if the players are playing, most of them forget their real world assumptions about race or gender after the first blackout.

Hope Love

• 5.  RE: TYA Play Accomodating for Mostly Female Cast and Centered On Social Issue(s)

Posted 08-30-2015 10:29

Check out the plays of Suzan Zeder, handled by Dramatic Publishing. Her work is sophisticated and complex, but very kid-friendly.  There's always a layer of social consciousness that the plays are built upon. Good luck.

Michael Bergman
    Teacher/Director
    Alexandria VA