Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Job Description

Posted 08-28-2015 10:19

Good Morning Colleagues!

I am working to define and establish my role in our school.  In that endeavor I'm wondering if any of you would be willing to share your job descriptions with me?  I'm curious to see how our roles are defined at varying schools.  I'm particularly interested in classroom versus other duties and private vs. public?

Thanks!!
    ------------------------------
    Aileen Zeigler
    Theatre Arts Director
    Omaha NE

• 2.  RE: Job Description

Posted 08-29-2015 06:40

Aileen, 

I will share mine with you, it will give you the private perspective.  My duties for the classroom are seperate from my duties as the Director of Theatre, which covers all extracurricular theatre activities.  I will email it to you directly.  See you soon! 

Angela

Angela Dashner
    Omaha NE

• 3.  RE: Job Description

Posted 01-16-2018 14:07
    Hi! I am wondering if you could also send me your job description. I am looking for one that describes both teaching drama and managing the theatre. thanks so much!

Andrea Haeussler
    Drama Teacher and Theatre Manager
    Colegio Maya
    VIENNA VA

• 4.  RE: Job Description

Posted 01-17-2018 12:40
      |   view attached

Here's a list of the Job Duties of a Theatre Manager, which you can pull from to create your own job description based on the unique situation in your own theatre (I've also included this as an attachment if you want to print it out):

HIGH SCHOOL THEATRE MANAGER DUTIES

ADMINISTRATION AND RECORD KEEPING

Event schedules for billing.

Keep on file student safety waiver forms.

Maintain an incident and accident log book.

Create and maintain scheduling procedures in order to optimize the use schedule to best provide for the needs of the variety of groups that use the theatre.

Create user application forms covering areas such as technical equipment requirements, production schedules, crewing, and various specialized issues such as food in the space, appropriate footwear, use of fog machines, etc.

Create forms for users to fill out for the theatre management, and for the theatre management to impart essential information to the user.

Create and maintain a system of mandatory Production Meetings in order to ascertain prospective users' specific time needs and space requirements.

Create and maintain systems for correspondence and collaboration with employees, theatre users, and administration.

Create and regulate policies and procedures to control security and access of the theatre.

Develop and maintain a system to track prospective users, the year's users, the current month's users, upcoming month's users, past month's users; noting the production schedule, running order of each day, the technical needs and tracking production meetings and their outcomes.

Technician timesheets.

Technician training and certification.

Other administrative reports.

SCHEDULING

Work with district and school facility schedulers to schedule the theatre rentals according to their unique needs.

Optimize the use schedule in order to best provide for the needs of the variety of groups (school and outside) that use the theatre.

Schedule the right number and right specialties of technicians for each event.

Schedule any student crew.

MEETINGS

Hold a Production Meeting with each event (school and outside) in order to ascertain prospective users' specific time needs and space requirements, and how to best support them.

Technician and student crew (as appropriate) staff meetings and trainings.

Meet with school district staff as needed to alert them or educate them to issues needing attention in the theatre.

TECHNICAL SUPPORT

Provide technical support to increase the efficacy and safe operations of the theatres.

Oversee the design, hang and focus of a functional "Rep Plot" (a standardized lighting system which is versatile for performances from plays and musicals, to concerts, to speakers, which allows for show-specific flexibility within a reasonable time frame).

Oversee the standardization of the sound and A/V system.

Oversee the functionality of the counterweight system.

Maintain up to date documents that aid in the functionality of these systems.

Provide the labor to hang and focus, and operate the lights as needed for each given production.

Provide the labor to set up and operate mics, sound system and audio visual for each given production.

Provide the labor to load-in equipment, sets and paraphernalia for each given production.

Provide the labor to hang scenery and drops for each given production.

Organize technical equipment, recommend specific and secure functional equipment storage locations.

EDUCATION

Train student stage crew on the proper procedures and protocol of running a show and working together as an efficient technical team.

Develop a Tech Theatre Club or class if there is no dedicated CTE teacher doing so. Hold technical workshops for students and/or staff.

Provide information on educational standards, learning goals and career development.

EMPLOYEE MANAGEMENT

Interview technician applicants.

Hire technicians who will provide technical support to increase the efficacy and safe operations of the theatre in the areas of lighting, sound and stage/rigging, as well as who have the skills and abilities to mentor students.

Supervise technicians and evaluate progress.

Make sure employees are trained in the policies and procedures of the theatre so that they may appropriately represent the theatre.

Create a crew schedule to satisfy appropriate technical needs for events.

POLICIES AND PROCEDURES

Periodically confer with district legal council about policies and procedures.

Create and maintain all theatre use and safety policies and procedures.

Post signs and notices as needed to inform staff and users of policies and procedures.

BUDGETING AND FINANCES 

Periodically confer with district business/finance management.

Track the annual budget for expenses.

Make suggestions for essential expenses. Verify delivery and payments.

Ensure the expenditures are within budget.

Review existing budgets and suggest areas for cost savings.

Research and recommend a competitive fee schedule for renters.

Other financial analysis based on production needs and requirements.

EQUIPMENT AND SUPPLY ORDERING AND MAINTANANCE

Organize the technical equipment, recommend and oversee the maintenance of specific and secure functional equipment storage locations.

Purchase and maintain a list of consumable supplies and equipment stock in anticipation of the needs and expectations of the users (school and outside) of the space; from tapes, lamps, gels, to tools and rechargeable mic batteries, and so on.

Maintain inventory of tools and equipment needed for a variety of productions.

Order repairs and parts.

Order new equipment.

Maintain backstage, the booth, catwalks, backstage areas and so on in a clean and orderly condition.

Conduct quarterly maintenance "work parties".

Conduct annual equipment cleanings.

SAFETY

Develop customized operational safety policies and procedures that improve personal safety, protect property, and mitigate liability.

Create customized signs, notices and handouts to enhance safety knowledge.

Enforce all safety and facility use rule and regulations.

Ensure that technicians are trained in safety procedures.

Train student crew in safety procedures.

Train teachers and administration in safety procedures.

Train all users (school and outside performers) of the theatre in safety procedures for each event.

Create, compile and maintain a safety manual.

Generate a safety inspection roster and timeline.

Coordinate periodically safety inspections and repairs as indicated.

Engage professional independent theatre technicians, inspectors, suppliers and/or subcontractors as applicable. Recommend changes or improvements to enhance safety.

Create policies and procedures to control security and access of the theatre.

ATTEND PERFORMANCES AS NEEDED 

Attending performances as much as is needed to make sure things are running smoothly. This will vary. For instance, for a concert or lecture the TM may only need to stay long enough to make sure the stage is set up, sound checks have been conducted, the audience is in and the show has started. For a variety show or dance recital rehearsal or show the TM may need to stay the whole time. These shows have a lot of diversity and therefore a lot of needs. There may be downtimes, but when something needs attending to the lighting, sound and rigging technicians can't leave their posts, so it falls upon the TM to see to the needs of the clients as they arise - and they do.

WEBSITE, MARKETING AND OUTREACH 

Develop and maintain a "sub-website" within the district's website, which will provide information about the theatre such as: technical specifications and inventory, rental rates, availability at-a-glance, application information, policies and procedures, and other information that is often requested by users and/or often needs to be conveyed to users.

Conduct site visits for prospective users, and assist with other marketing of the facility and proactive encouragement of groups to rent the theatre as per school district guidelines.

Work towards developing an image (brand) within the community; familiarity breeds ownership, pride and a sense of belonging within the community.

Maintain branding that will stand for professional, state-of-the-art facilities, which will be an integral part of the community.

Beth Rand, EBMS
    High School Theatre Operations Coach
    Lighting Designer

Next HS Theatre Management Training for Drama Teachers online course: Winter Session started Jan. 15 (accepting new students through the end of the month!).

Author of "High School Theatre Operations" and "The High School Theatre Safety Manual" and several more books on Amazon and also at http://www.presett.org/helpful-books-for-you.html.

www.PRESETT.org
    Westminster, CO

Attachment(s)

pdf
    HS TM Duties.pdf   284 KB 1 version