Open Forum

View Only

Murder mystery sugggestions

• 1.  Murder mystery sugggestions

Posted 08-19-2015 04:40

I am looking for a great murder mystery show for high school. I've read through a couple and haven't found anything I like. Rehearsal for murder bored me and the jury is still out on Bone Chiller. This will be our first show of the season and will be the weekend before halloween. I love good characterization and am hoping its a show I can produce with a 4-5 week turn around. 

------------------------------
    Denique Morris
    Teacher
    Cerritos CA

• 2.  RE: Murder mystery sugggestions

Posted 08-19-2015 07:49

More of a comic murder mystery, but Tim Kelly's "Curse of the Werewolf" is a hoot. If you have an over-the-top "Humphrey" (an Igor-like character), it's a potential show-stealer. 

Curse of the Werewolf

Dramaticpublishing remove preview
    Curse of the Werewolf
    Buzz Halliburton, an entertainer fallen on hard times, is summoned to Gargoyle House, a spooky castle on a lonely New England island. With him is his partner, Admiral Byrd, a penguin who can tap dance to 'Puttin' on the Ritz.' The relatives turn out to be candidates for the funny farm.
    View this on Dramaticpublishing >

Scott Piehler
    Director
    SUWANEE GA

• 3.  RE: Murder mystery sugggestions

Posted 08-19-2015 08:41

It's not a murder, but I really liked Halloween Screams. 

Tonya Bowyer
    Drama Teacher
    Radford City Public Schools
    Christiansburg VA

• 4.  RE: Murder mystery sugggestions

Posted 08-19-2015 09:12

Depending on your caast you might look at Agatha Christies And Then There Were None.

Alan Kay

• 5.  RE:Murder mystery sugggestions

Posted 08-19-2015 10:58
    Any number can die is a good one. Also 13 Past Midnight was a big success for us.

-------------------------------------------
    Lorie Baldwin
    High School Theater Teacher and Director
    Richboro PA
    -------------------------------------------

Sent via Higher Logic Mobile

• 6.  RE: Murder mystery sugggestions

Posted 08-19-2015 22:39

We are getting ready to audition DEATH BY DESSERT by Nathan Hartswick. It's a murder mystery dinner theatre but I bet you could do it without the dinner. We are teaming with the foods class on campus and they are cooking our meal. Should be a fun collaboration. I loved the script, it's clever. Brooklyn Publishing and Heur Publishing both have a nice collection of mysteries to browse through too. 
    Summer Rickman
    Hobbs Municipal Schools
    Hobbs NM

• 7.  RE: Murder mystery sugggestions

Posted 08-20-2015 11:48

I directed Agatha Christie's A MURDER IS ANNOUNCED at my high school 4 years ago. It was very successful and great for a high school because it has several great female roles and only 4 men.  And it is a Miss Marple mystery so there is audience recognition.

Floyd Nash
    Pompano Beach FL

• 8.  RE: Murder mystery sugggestions

Posted 08-20-2015 12:27

I'd recommend Murder's in the Heir by Billy St. John.  It has good characters, and the ending is based on secret ballots collected from the audience at intermission so the cast does not know who the murderer is until the end.  Worth checking out.

Kenneth Robinson
    Drama Club Sponsor
    Muncie IN

• 9.  RE: Murder mystery sugggestions

Posted 08-27-2015 13:17

I did Murder's in the Heir last fall and it was very fun to do. It is a comedy and the cool thing that I found with it was that, if you choose to, it has 8 possible killers and you can have the audience choose who the killer is. It also has a role for the director, or a role that is the director, and it is played out like the show is incomplete and breaks the 4th wall. My kids wanted me to act in it as myself and it really went over well. If you choose to do this one I suggest that you have enough performances to let all killers have a chance to be so, I wish I did. 

Aaron Hunsaker
    Drama Director
    Cedar Hill MO

• 10.  RE: Murder mystery sugggestions

Posted 08-27-2015 13:18

Oh Pioneer Drama services has it.

Aaron Hunsaker
    Drama Director
    Cedar Hill MO

• 11.  RE: Murder mystery sugggestions

Posted 08-28-2015 08:37

I read about 15 murder mystery plays this summer.  I enjoyed Out of Sight...Out of Murder.  It has a cast of 10.  If you want something really cheesy - look at A Murder Mystery in the Murder Mystery.  If you are looking at Halloween - we did Sleepy Hallow around Halloween a few years ago - it was a big hit.  Last year, we opened Arsenic and Old Lace on Halloween Night.

Don Markham
    Math Teacher/Theater Director
    Cleveland High School
    Cleveland TN