Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  First Day Activities

Posted 08-19-2015 01:13
    What is your favorite ice breaker for the first day of school? Especially for inner city reluctant actors. Maybe even a whole week of ice-breakers. Aaaaaaand...go.

-------------------------------------------
    Scott Hasbrouck
    Wheat Ridge CO
    -------------------------------------------

Sent via Higher Logic Mobile

• 2.  RE: First Day Activities

Posted 08-19-2015 08:14

See this article for links to a number of activities that might work for you: Theatre Games Thoroughly Explained

------------------------------
    Rosalind Flynn
    Head of the M.A. in Theatre Education
    The Catholic University of America
    Silver Spring MD

• 3.  RE: First Day Activities

Posted 08-19-2015 22:31

Hey Scott!

This is what I do the first two days every year. Every year I start with the same ice breaker that I've come to love. I call it My New Best Friend. I pair the kids up, they get like 7 minutes or so to interview each other and I tell them to look for 3 interesting/unique facts about their new friend. Then they have to take their 3 facts and turn them into a 3 line haiku that doesn't include their friends name. (I'm flexible on the syllables and tell them they have a one syllable cushion either way- it's more about their creativity for me) Then I tell them the title of the haiku is their friends name and after they recite the haiku they should repeat the title. While their friend is introducing them to the class with their haiku, they have to act out the haiku for the class. It's  simple, fun, we get to know interesting facts about everyone and they get to perform. And after each performance I have the rest of the class snap instead of clap like we're at a poetry reading.  It's worked well for me.

My advanced kids do the same exercise but instead of haiku they have to write raps (with choreography). Each friend has a verse about them and they write a chorus about friendship to rap together. After the raps instead of clapping we all do the Arsenio Hall grunt. Those are always pretty hilarious to watch.
    Summer Rickman
    Hobbs Municipal Schools
    Hobbs NM

• 4.  RE: First Day Activities

Posted 08-20-2015 09:22

Hi Scott--

A new activity that I did this year (yesterday, actually) has really inspired and convicted me.  I gave each kid an index card, and made it crystal clear that I do NOT want their name on it.  then I asked them to complete this sentence: I wish my teacher knew ______________ .  The results this year have been both uplifting and heartbreaking.  I have the second half of my classes today, and plan to do the same.  So... not really an ice-breaker, but definitely a way to get a quick insight into your kids.

I also like charades as an icebreaker.

I have four large floor puzzles that have similar color schemes.  I mix the puzzles up, then return the random pieces to the boxes.  Give each group a box, and tell the class that whichever group finishes the puzzle wins.  eventually they figure out that they have to go talk to the other groups.  You can use the choices they make as discussion points after.  Was it a competition? Why? (You have to be careful to set it up so that you don't specifically say one group wins over another).  Did groups defend their pieces or refuse to share? Why?  I like that in this activity, in order to "win," all the groups have to win together.

Have a great first week!
    Josh Belk
    Director of Theatre
    Monument CO

• 5.  RE: First Day Activities

Posted 08-20-2015 10:23

I do a low ropes course near the end of the first week. 

Before the day, I tell them we will do a challenging team activity. It will be physical and mental. They must wear flat shoes that cover their feet. Sneakers are great. Heavy boots that don't allow them to flex are not good. I refuse to tell them what the task will be.

Safety is first, and you must anticipate what rules are necessary for that in your space (slick floors, carpet that catches, splinters in the wood etc). I emphasize that they must rely on team members for support. I only intervene if there are safety problems, or to answer questions about the rules explained below.

Then on the day they have to use 2 or 3 milk crates, 2 2x4s, and a length of rope to travel over a distance on the stage/room that is just a little longer than the distance spanned by the boards connected by the boxes. The floor is hot lava. The boxes are fire proof and can touch the floor. The boards cannot. They must get  all of their teammates and all of the tools from point A to B ( I mark the distance with spike tape) without any bit of a person or board touching the floor. If anyone or thing touches, they must all return and start over. i remind them that they will be more successful if they take the time to listen to everyone, encourage everyone to speak up, and touch each other to give support by holding hands to steady balance, for example. It works best if the teams aren't more than 10 people, so in my large classes we play with 3 random teams. I alter the distance or tools for variety. 

For example, the first group often uses the milk crates like boots, and they walk in them across the space, carrying the other tools over. So for the next group, I tell them that the lava is now thicker, and since there are holes in the crates, they can't put their feet in them. Sometimes I change the distance (shorter distances encourage them to build a bridge), take away or add a tool, add a time limit (although not usually, the time pressure is most likely to cause them to work dangerously) to change the task for each group. I have 100" periods and can do this in one period, but with shorter periods in a big class you'll need 2 days.

The groups that aren't acting have to observe and take notes. They can whisper to their teammates, but must NOT talk to the working group. What did they do? What did they say? Did it help them solve the task? At the end we debrief and talk about how the group worked and how they could have worked better. I ask them to explain why they think I had them do this. The conclusions vary, but focus on trust, different styles of communication, and the conditions that best support creativity. I also remind them that they can't blame the result on their teammates or the conditions of the task when they work on any project. That with practice they will become better teammates, and they will all get better at creating work conditions that will lead to creative and interesting results. 

Barb Lachman
    Shoreline WA

• 6.  RE: First Day Activities

Posted 08-21-2015 13:28

Hello Mr. Hasbrouck!

I'm a junior in high school, and one of my favorite ice-breakers is a spoken vocal exercise I've done in the past where everyone had to learn the tongue-twister, the Major-General's Song.  As a student, I tend to think the most uncomfortable ice-breakers for kids involve needing to stand up and do something alone in front of a group.  Something that can easily have everyone working together without much effort and not being forced far out of their comfort zones is a group exercise like learning a tongue-twister, where you get to shout and mess up and even compete with other kids.

I also agree with Mr. Belk's suggestion about anonymously writing on an index card, "I wish my teacher knew _______."  I had a teacher do that and read them out loud, and it was one of my favorite ice-breakers, because it was honest but not forced.  It can be a powerful experience for students and open them up to you and each other without publicly making them get out of their comfort zone, because that doesn't always truly break the ice for kids.  

Good luck, and I hope this helps!

Grace Alt
    ITO Vice Chair
    Wyndmoor PA