Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Suggestions for Military/Veteran Themed Pieces for Veteran's Day Performance

Posted 08-18-2015 18:13

Hi all!

The mayor of the town where I teach has reached out to our program and asked us to prepare pieces for inclusion in a 30 minute tribute performance to be performed on Veteran's Day. Fortunately, this date comes after our first Showcase performance (we have three a year; each class prepares a piece to be presented as a polished, finished piece in what winds up being an hour long performance) so I can essentially prep something for Showcase and then use it again - which is what I'd actually prefer to do. I'd love suggestions for Musical Theatre pieces that aren't too difficult that could be used with 9th graders, mostly girls, as well as shorter scenes for more advanced junior and senior actors. (I'm having a feeling that "Streamers" isn't going to fly!).

Thanks in advance for your help!

------------------------------
    Elizabeth Kott
    Port Washington NY

• 2.  RE: Suggestions for Military/Veteran Themed Pieces for Veteran's Day Performance

Posted 08-19-2015 10:55

Hi Liz,

If you'd like to take a look at Studs Terkel's THE GOOD WAR (Stories from the Greatest Generation), email licensing@theatricalrights.com, for a complimentary perusal script, Studs Terkel's THE GOOD WAR.

The authors had fathers whose lives were irrevocably changed by being soldiers during World War II. David Bell had long held a fascination for STUDS TERKEL'S ORAL HISTORY OF WORLD WAR II, and brought the project to his long-time collaborator and friend, Craig Carnelia. Craig, who had helped develop WORKING from another brilliant piece of journalism by Studs, jumped at the opportunity.

Although the script was written for eight men and one woman, a few schools have done the show with an all female cast.

Jim Hoare
    New York NY

• 3.  RE: Suggestions for Military/Veteran Themed Pieces for Veteran's Day Performance

Posted 08-21-2015 11:54

If you are looking for a straight piece, I would suggest Jack Hilton Cunningham's "Women and War" - it was written as a one hour reader's theatre piece for 4 women and 1 man, BUT, there is also a one-act version that has staging for a larger cast.  It covers from experiences World War I - the present conflict, if you were to use all of the pieces.  Samuel French carries both scripts and I can share more with you if you are interested. 

Carolyn Cork Greer
    Owensboro KY

• 4.  RE: Suggestions for Military/Veteran Themed Pieces for Veteran's Day Performance

Posted 08-22-2015 15:30

A Piece of My Heart might work. Piece of My Heart, A

Samuelfrench remove preview
    Piece of My Heart, A
    "There have been a number of plays dealing with Vietnam, but none with the direct, emotional impact of Ms. Lauro's work.-The New York Times "Brought [the audience] to tears...and a standing ovation."-Variety "A riveting, ...
    View this on Samuelfrench >

It's about women who served in Vietnam. It's written for 6 women and 1 man, but the male role doubles a lot of characters.

Ken Buswell
    Drama Teacher
    Peachtree City, GA
    http://mcintoshtheater.org/

• 5.  RE: Suggestions for Military/Veteran Themed Pieces for Veteran's Day Performance

Posted 08-23-2015 20:06

You might also look at WOMEN AND WAR; lots of short scenes about those who wait at home as well as scenes about the men who write home.

Marilynn Zeljeznjak
    Blacksburg VA

• 6.  RE: Suggestions for Military/Veteran Themed Pieces for Veteran's Day Performance

Posted 08-23-2015 17:42

You might also look at The Cover of Life by R.T. Robinson -  a WWII piece more about the impact on the homefront, heavily female cast.  I've never produced it, but it's on my wish list & one of my trusted colleagues has done it and highly recommends it.

Michelle Ludwig
    Director of Drama
    Kinkaid School
    Houston TX