Open Forum

View Only

Intermediate Theatre

• 1.  Intermediate Theatre

Posted 08-17-2015 21:44

Hello all! 

Quick question: I teach beginning, intermediate, and advanced theatre. I feel like I have a fairly strong curriculum for my beginning and advanced kids, but I'm often stumped about what to do with intermediate.  

My advanced class is by audition only so my intermediate is made up of a mix of kids who are good but I didn't have room for them in advanced or kids who were kinda lazy in beginning and thought it was fun enough to take as an elective again. So I never have 100% commitment in that class. It needs to be more challenging than beginning but not as tough as the advanced and some kids take intermediate two or sometimes three years so I constantly have to change things up a little too.

Suggestions on projects/assignments/topics you work on with your middle level kids? 

Thanks in advance everyone!!

------------------------------
    Summer Rickman
    Hobbs Municipal Schools
    Hobbs NM

• 2.  RE: Intermediate Theatre

Posted 08-18-2015 08:13

Great question!  I have the same problem; my beginning classes are planned out to the "n"th degree. In addition, the novelty of the class is so exciting for beginners that there is often a higher level of "buy-in."

Here's what I've done that seems to work: Make the Intermediate level classes focus specifically on Scene Study. We study various genres and philosophies of theatre, as we do in all levels, but in Intermediate classes we get more in-depth.  Also, the kids work on short scenes, monologues and even some theatre tech projects unique to those topics.  

In addition, I use the mid-level classes to focus on our Drama Competitions (Forensics et. al). While the Advanced students may actually wind up doing the competitions due to their experience and skill level, I use mid-level students as alternates and even begin working on material that they may use the following year when THEY are at the Advanced level.

I, too, am still interested in what other folks do to help those in the middle, so thanks so much for posting this question.

Josh Ruben
    Fine Arts Head, Northwest Whitfield
    Chattanooga TN

• 3.  RE: Intermediate Theatre

Posted 08-18-2015 08:56

Try hitting 'em with something they wouldn't expect. When I did a long-term substitute gig for a mixed-bag class, we created an original Radio Drama. Gets into foley work, voice-over, voice-acting, etc. You can identify potential directors, stage managers, sound techs, playwrights. Great fun.

SCOTT

Scott Piehler
    Director
    SUWANEE GA

• 4.  RE: Intermediate Theatre

Posted 08-18-2015 11:27

I introduce several techniques in this class and have the students choose 1-2 to focus on that appeal to them. I also introduce British RP and unarmed stage combat. The kids continue to focus on classical work, scene study, and monologues. I do this in the class before this, but expanding theatre history might a good option as well. Especially if you have the kids work on theatre that is not studied as often, things from around the globe as opposed to Greek, Roman, Elizabethan, etc.

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 5.  RE: Intermediate Theatre

Posted 08-18-2015 15:01

Hi Summer.  When I changed districts, I went from a Sr High program that did performances in the middle school cafetorium to a Sr. High program with an actual theatre.  I was able too grow a smallish tech program there.  It's great for performers to have experience in tech, and develop some understanding and appreciation of what it takes to support the actors on stage.  Also, tech projects demand results you can reach out and touch (Sets, Props, Costumes, Make-up, Business and House Management), or at least see and hear (Lighting and Sound), and have concrete results that appeal to lots of non-traditional, kinesthetic learners.

Tech crew participation (stage crews and running crews) increased once the students were exposed to tech aspects, and we were able to produce shows with much better production values.  After some initial exposure to tech in intermediate classes, you might be able to get actual tech classes.  Eventually, you can develop a student design program, lots of technical staff, and better production values.  Also, the students take more ownership in the program if they are designing, SMing, construction, etc.  

If you already incorporate tech into your classes, I apologize for wasting your time.  I just got the impression all 3 levels were strictly performance oriented.  If you would like some ideas for tech projects and/or curriculum, just contact me.

Bob Fowler

Robert Fowler
    Co-Developer
    Interactive Educational Video, LLC
    Chesterfield MO

• 6.  RE: Intermediate Theatre

Posted 08-18-2015 17:00

My Theatre II students write, design, and perform a touring children's theatre show, which we then perform for our feeder schools.  Based on the material they choose--usually fairy tales, folk tales, or Greek, Roman, or Native American myths and legends--we gear the show toward K-3 or 3-5 grades.  

The show can only be 25 minutes long for us to travel within our class period.  That length show is perfect for working on characterization, physicality, and design elements, as well as how to structure a plot and do presentational acting with intermediate students.  

C. J. Breland
    Asheville NC

• 7.  RE: Intermediate Theatre

Posted 08-18-2015 18:17

C. J., this is a great idea!

I also have an intermediate class (Advanced Theatre Arts) and this sounds like something to explore with the particular group of kids I have enrolled in it this year.

Do you have any materials you'd be willing to share regarding this project?

Elizabeth Kott
    Port Washington NY

• 8.  RE:Intermediate Theatre

Posted 08-18-2015 18:33
    Hi CJ, I love this project of developing a children's play. Can you share a little of how you break down this unit? Thanks!!

-------------------------------------------
    Lorie Baldwin
    High School Theater Teacher and Director
    Richboro PA
    -------------------------------------------

Sent via Higher Logic Mobile

• 9.  RE: Intermediate Theatre

Posted 08-20-2015 11:56

For my intermediate students I have them work with scene studies and monologues through out theatre history. I give them a taste of all the major styles with each week (we are on the 90 minute block) culminating in a different performance.  The second half of the class I dedicate to playwriting and adaptations of classic stories for the stage, which they perform.  By the end they have a good selection of monologues and scenes both period and contemporary.  They also have a script that they have worked on and seen through to production. 

[Chris] [Veneris]
    Theatre Educator/NC Chapter Director]
    Guilford County Schools
    [Greensboro] [NC]

• 10.  RE: Intermediate Theatre

Posted 08-20-2015 21:42

My "intermediate" theatre classes are Theatre 2 and 3.

Theatre 2:

Stage combat

Scene study

Shakespeare

Improvisation

Theatre 3:

Acting theory and approaches to the craft

Stanislavsky's System

Uta Hagen's approach

The Method

I instruct students about each of the approaches and then we apply the theories to scenes that work well with each of the approaches.

Good luck!

John Rutherford
    Rochester Hills MI

• 11.  RE: Intermediate Theatre

Posted 06-28-2017 23:21
    John, 

Could I possibly get more information on your Theatre 3 course? I have taught middle school for the past ten years. I'm moving to high school this fall. I'm hoping to do something just like what you outlined. Any materials would be very much appreciated! 

Thank you, 
    Taylor Horne

Taylor Horne
    Upper School Theatre Director
    Jacksonville FL

• 12.  RE: Intermediate Theatre

Posted 06-29-2017 10:30
    John, I would also love to hear more about your acting 3 class.

Tisha Donnelly
    Director, troupe #5591
    Vanden High School
    Fairfield, CA