Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Using Wordless Picture Books as Playwriting Prompts

Posted 08-17-2015 10:58

I love using pictures as playwriting prompts, and thought that picture books would be a great transition for a longer developed story.  I love Henry Cole's Unspoken: A Story From the Underground Railroad

Amazon remove preview
    Unspoken: A Story From the Underground Railroad
    Unspoken: A Story From the Underground Railroad [Henry Cole] on Amazon.com. *FREE* shipping on qualifying offers. A young girl's courage is tested in this haunting, wordless story. When a farm girl discovers a runaway slave hiding in the barn
    View this on Amazon >

Does anyone have any other suggestions for wordless picture books that would work well for this exercise?

------------------------------
    Jessica Harms
    Acton-Boxborough Regional High School
    Lawrence MA

• 2.  RE: Using Wordless Picture Books as Playwriting Prompts

Posted 08-17-2015 12:55

What a fun idea! I have a suggestion that, while not wordless, might still work. What about a child's book that is written in a different language? 

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: Using Wordless Picture Books as Playwriting Prompts

Posted 08-17-2015 23:32

I have had a copy of the Mysteries of Harris Burdick for years that I keep meaning to do something like this with.  Surreal and mysterious, the pictures would be sure to promote some interesting connections.  

http://www.amazon.com/Mysteries-Harris-Burdick-Chris-Allsburg/dp/0395353939/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1439868701&sr=8-1&keywords=mysteries+of+harris+burdick

Ryan Moore
    Theatre Teacher and Forensics Coach
    Ferndale MI

• 4.  RE: Using Wordless Picture Books as Playwriting Prompts

Posted 08-18-2015 09:58

I often use Storybird. There are hundreds of artists who submit their work to be used in storybooks. It is a great tool for writing classes, but I frequently use it in my theatre and improv classes. This tool sparks my students' imaginations and help them collaborate and create great work.

Glenda Thurmond
    Highland City FL