Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  English classes and theatre

Posted 08-17-2015 06:54

I am hoping for some suggestions on teaching English classes and handling all the duties that go with six fully staged productions a year.  I have been teaching high school for 20+ years but it has always been theatre classes and one or two public speaking classes with an occassionally semester long English class thrown in. This year, they have done away with the Speaking classes, and my load has become mostly English (including two courses I have never taught before), a new IB Theatre class and one beginning and one advanced theatre class with 30-40 kids in each. I'm trying not to panic but I'm trying to figure out how to deal with the overwhelming amount of papers and planning(especially for the new classes) and producing the shows, giving all these children the attention they deserve and keep a little bit of a personal life as well. Any tips? I keep telling myself just to breathe deep but that doesn't always do it.

thanks in advance.

------------------------------
    Holly Thompson
    Worthington OH

• 2.  RE: English classes and theatre

Posted 08-17-2015 23:03

How frustrating! I'd be stressed too. I think the only way you can do it is with tons or parent support. I'd maybe have a parent meeting with the theatre parents early on. Explain to them the new situation and just be honest with them and say you won't be able to keep the pace they've grown accustomed to without a lot of help from the parents and delegate everything you can! 

You might also consider doing student directed shows instead of you directing. Most could be done in class to help you out and give you time after school. 

That's a tough situation. 

Summer Rickman
    Hobbs Municipal Schools
    Hobbs NM

• 3.  RE: English classes and theatre

Posted 08-18-2015 10:16

Holly,

Is this a fluke year? Is this to help out due to staffing issues? You do seem to have lot on your plate. Have you approached your administration with the possibility of offering your productions as a class - after-school (shifting your schedule start/end time one class period later)? Not an option for this year...it's to late...but maybe you could use this year as a bargaining chip for next year. You might also talk to your in building union rep. You may have a case for equity of work load. 

You could also do fewer shows. I know that is the least popular option... You could let disappointed students/parents use their voices to support you. Sometimes we just have to share the battle.

Can you have student TAs? That may help with organization/management.

Good luck!

Jeannie Brzovic
    Lake Forest Park WA

• 4.  RE: English classes and theatre

Posted 08-19-2015 12:02

Hi Holly,

I've been teaching English and Drama while continuing to run my community theatre company outside of school for a while now. It took me a couple of years to realize I was being too hard on myself as an English teacher. My advice is: you are in control of how much paperwork you have to grade, and of what variety.  Nowadays I give more short quizzes and "study questions" that are not so involved to grade as essays are. Then I stagger the essays in different classes so they don't all come at once. Above all, I make sure I don't give myself massive grading to do during final production of a play. As a rule, I try to teach something related to the play in English class during that time; many students are either in it or will go see it.  It's stressful starting to teach a new curriculum so try to go slow and be kind to yourself! 

Richard Carter
    Lopez Island WA

www.communityshakespeare.org