Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Middle School Curriculum Plays

Posted 08-10-2015 23:01

Hi!  I am looking for plays used for drama class in Middle School.  Not to perform after school; but plays that can be part of the Middle School CCCS curriculum.  Anything in addition to: Midsummer, Newsies, The Crucible. Thanks!

------------------------------
    Tierney Fitzmartin
    Maplewood NJ

• 2.  RE: Middle School Curriculum Plays

Posted 08-11-2015 09:06

For our 7th grade, we teach an adaptation of Oedipus Rex
    and Everyman with our theatre history unit. What I don't have is a middle school appropriate play for 8 th grade that is a melodrama or an example of realism.

Debby Shellard
    Deborah Shellard
    Drama Teacher
    Attea Middle School
    Glenview IL

• 3.  RE: Middle School Curriculum Plays

Posted 08-11-2015 15:10

Thanks for the suggestions.  I'll look in my files for a melodrama.  Does it have to be a "period" piece?

Tierney Fitzmartin
    Maplewood NJ

• 4.  RE: Middle School Curriculum Plays

Posted 08-13-2015 00:54

For rip-roaring melodrama, I think it is hard to beat Augustin Daly's 1867 play, "Under the Gaslight."  

Samuel French has a version called "Under the Lamplight"--(probably because the play "Angel Street" was made into a great movie they named "Under the Gaslight.")

I found a scanned copy of the original Daly version online a few years ago, abridged it a bit, and my high school students had a fabulous time playing those big characters.  

It has tons of characters, a mystery, and a character tied to railroad tracks by one of the villains--a Civil War veteran rescued at the last moment by a young woman!  In a class reading, I think it would also prompt discussions about social classes. 

If you'd like to see it, send me your email.

C. J. Breland
    Asheville NC

• 5.  RE: Middle School Curriculum Plays

Posted 08-14-2015 08:40

Hi C J,

i would love to look at your melodrama. My email is dshellard@ glenview34.org.

Debby

Deborah Shellard
    Drama Teacher
    Attea Middle School
    Glenview IL

• 6.  RE: Middle School Curriculum Plays

Posted 09-11-2015 11:15

Hi Tierney,

If you are looking to connect to Middle School CCSS such and so, does history count?  There are two great plays about the Triangle Factory Fire (which is often studied in middle school social studies/history).  One features mostly younger folks as many of the workers killed in the fire were young girls.  I believe it is simply called Triangle.  I would look it up, but my VPN isn't super happy with me tonight, so it is exciting that I can even get to respond!  The other is based on headlines and articles of the time, it's probably better for older actors, but it is also very powerful.  I was going to produce one of them this year.  The nice thing about Triangle is that it has a variety of different ethnic groups represented, and for school programs which are usually female heavy, it has a good breakdown.

Amy Sidwell
    Director of Theatrical Arts
    Shanghai, China