Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Collecting Data/Showing Growth in the Theater Classroom

Posted 08-06-2015 12:19

Part of our teacher evaluation system is showing measuring growth through data.  How do you gather data in your classroom?  If you use a survey for a pre-assessment, formative, and summative, what does your survey look like?  What key skills do you try to measure and how do you try to measure it?

Part of me thinks that if we as teachers are trying to mine this data, what if a bunch of us used the same survey that students could measure things like "comfort speaking in front of people."  It would given us a larger data pool about the importance of theatre education, too. 

------------------------------
    Jessica Harms
    Acton-Boxborough Regional High School
    Lawrence MA

• 2.  RE: Collecting Data/Showing Growth in the Theater Classroom

Posted 08-07-2015 09:05

My SGO is based on growth shown between two performances for each individual student. I use their first monologue project and their final scene. I measure technical elements - Memorization, projection, and character elements - voice acting and body acting. This is all crap anyway, so I just tried to find something that I already do and make it work. Presto! All done. 

Jeffrey Davis
    Plainsboro NJ

• 3.  RE: Collecting Data/Showing Growth in the Theater Classroom

Posted 08-07-2015 09:06

Hahahahaha!  I agree, too.  I was going to do this same thing.  Do you have a rubric that you use for the performance that you'd be willing to share?

Jennifer Simmons
    Lexington SC

• 4.  RE: Collecting Data/Showing Growth in the Theater Classroom

Posted 08-08-2015 09:44

For showing growth I use the from used by judges at state conference and call it a rubric. I actually used on from another state for a while. Now ITS has several on their website. I use this rubric for all performances. And am able to insert its categories into the district database to document the growth of each student. 

Scott Hasbrouck

George Washington HS

Denver, CO

• 5.  RE: Collecting Data/Showing Growth in the Theater Classroom

Posted 08-08-2015 06:53

I use the international thespian rubrics to grade my students' work. Not only does it familiarize them with the rigor of competition, it is an internationally recognized document and holds value to the admin. This is a great way to track progress and data. 

Kristin Winchester
    Bayfield CO