Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Improv games

Posted 07-30-2015 11:21

I started a routine in my theater class last year that the students look forward to. Once a week, we have Game Day, and we spend the period playing improv games. Creativity, confidence, teambuilding, acceptance, and simple stress relief are just a few of the perks we've enjoyed.

Preparing to do it again this year, I want to deepen my roster of games. Anyone have any favorites they've used in class or rehearsal? I know there are countless websites with game ideas, but I'm interested in what members of this community have had the most fun and success with.

------------------------------
    Josh Kauffman
    Teacher
    Winfield City Schools
    Winfield AL

• 2.  RE: Improv games

Posted 07-30-2015 12:04

I can send you a list if you like. Shoot me an email and I'll get it to you. I'd also check out any local improv groups. They may be willing to do some master classes. 

Shira Schwartz
    Chandler Unified School District
    Chandler AZ

• 3.  RE: Improv games

Posted 07-30-2015 13:12

I, too, have a game day.  My students love playing Reverse Charades and Guesstures. They are both excellent "theatre" games and it is something different than the games we play in class.  This year, I have purchased 5 Second Rule and Headbanz to add to the "Game Day" repertoire.

Lisa Tierney
    Director
    Coffee High School Theatre Arts
    Broxton GA

• 4.  RE: Improv games

Posted 07-31-2015 10:03

Check out Improv Encyclopedia online -- free and easy to use.

Also the Improv Generator app from Ludlam Dramatics ( I think it's only $1).

Becky Beth Benedict
    Theater Teacher and Arts Department Chair
    The MacDuffie School
    East Windsor CT

• 5.  RE: Improv games

Posted 07-31-2015 10:40

Our favorite (other than the classic "Stop") is one that was adapted from a joke.  An instructor once said he was from California where they can carry on an entire conversation using only the word, "Dude".  This inspired a game by the same name.

"Dude" requires four actors.  Two play the scene physically who can only use the one word line "Dude".  The other two actors provide the full line that needs to be expressed using that one word line.  There are potential twists to the game.  Often, the "dudes" are be placed in a scene without knowing the details before it starts, but the translators are.  For advanced students, the "translators" can speak after the "dudes".

Jym Kinney
    Director, Troupe 821
    Tacoma WA

• 6.  RE: Improv games

Posted 08-01-2015 13:44

Dude! I love it!  With your permission I'm going to steal this one.

Robert DiMartino
    Theatre Teacher
    Cumberland High School
    West Warwick RI

• 7.  RE: Improv games

Posted 08-02-2015 17:08

Dude!

Translation:  Feel free to use it without royalty or performance rights charges.

Jym Kinney
    Troupe Director
    Tacoma WA

• 8.  RE: Improv games

Posted 08-01-2015 13:14

We do a game called Olympics. An event is made up (Spaghetti Eating, Grannies Breakdancing, etc). There is an announcer and a few contestants  (2-4). The announcer has to keep it fast paced & the contestants have to act out whatever the announcer says. The announcer has to be able to think fast. I've had kids "break a leg, go blind, miraculously see again, put spaghetti in their ear" etc. 

Another game is Genre Improv. They do normal improv but have to switch up their presentation as students call out various genres - western, opera, comedy etc. The topic doesn't change, just the presentation.

Lastly, I use some board games that generate creativity - Scattegories, Head Bandz, Story Dice.

I have a lot more but I hope that'll help!

Connie Sandoz
    Theatre Director
    Henderson NV

• 9.  RE: Improv games

Posted 08-11-2015 08:09

Try looking here for some detailed descriptions of theatre games--some you probably already know and use, but some might be new to you:

Theatre Games Thoroughly Explained

Rosalind Flynn
    Head of the M.A. in Theatre Education
    The Catholic University of America
    Silver Spring MD