Open Forum

View Only

Warmups

• 1.  Warmups

Posted 07-30-2015 11:14

I am inconsistent about using vocal or physical warmups. I often do a quick stretch and energy builder before performances, but seldom for rehearsals and hardly ever for classes.

Two reasons. One, Students don't love them. Two, (slap my own hand) I don't love them, and never have, even when I was a student myself.

I am positive that the second reason informs the first, and my personal taste and habits are at war with my professional conscience and the taking-it-seriously kind of artists I want to train.

I'm looking for two things:  

1. Inspiration/justification, for me and for my students when I answer the "Why can't we just start" questions.
    2. How do you do it? Is there an order you espouse? Any exercises your students really like?

Like all teachers I'm concerned with lesson plans, grading standards, and show selection (and love this board for all the guidance it offers), but this warmup issue is one of my greatest "worries," as an educator, director, and artist.

------------------------------
    Josh Kauffman
    Teacher
    Winfield City Schools
    Winfield AL

• 2.  RE: Warmups

Posted 07-30-2015 22:13

We do warmups for the sole reason of crossing the boundary from socializing into doing work. we do plastiques, roll-ups, stretches, vocalizing. Just enough to bring us all present into a more neutral space and available to become characters other than ourselves... 
    Amy Poux
    Executive Director

Youth Ensemble Theater
    Rosendale NY

• 3.  RE: Warmups

Posted 07-31-2015 11:09

Josh, you're not alone. When I start rehearsal, I am always aware of how little time I have to address what needs to be done - and I've never been convinced of the value of elaborate warm-ups. Rehearsal time is a precious commodity.

That said, when I skip vocal warmups, it shows...diction is off, projection is weak. if I'm doing a show with dance or elaborate movement, stretching helps keep performers from getting hurt.

I still use the same vocal warmups that I learned in high school...it took me years to realize that they were adapted from the vocal coach scene in Singin in the Rain.

Billy Houck
    Theatre Teacher

Fremont High School
    Sunnyvale CA

• 4.  RE: Warmups

Posted 07-31-2015 07:00

Theatre is physical and requires use of the body (our instrument & tool).  This is the only justification you need.  A musician would never start with out tuning his instrument.  A race car driver would never start without checking her car.  An athlete would never jump on the field without warming up.  Just like an athlete, race car driver, musician (and any other profession) we warm-up to prepare the mind, body and voice to perform.  Injuries have (don't get me started...) and do happen without a good warm-up.

In my theatre classes, the first unit is about warming up.  Students are taught a variety of relaxation exercises, stretches, physical and vocal warm-ups.  Then, they develop a 5-10 minute warm-up that they feel prepares them.  This is assessed using a simple rubric checking that they have stretched every major muscle group and certain aspects of the voice.  

Then on days we are actively working, warming up is the bellringer in my classroom.  No need to prompt, it is the expectation.  Often student leaders will emerge to lead, encourage and vary the routines.  Not to mention on days one is being evaluated, nothing is more fun then to watch an administrator walk into a room of kids in various stages of lying on the floor, stretching, screeching, etc.  :)

In the first days of rehearsal for those who have not taken my class, I do a similar thing and students who have been in my classes or other productions take turns introducing parts of their personal warm-ups and all members eventually lead the group part of the warm-up/energy builders over the days of rehearsal.  I even require tech members to warm-up.  We are a team, and it is a professional expectation.  

With that said, rehearsals have a designated arrival time (this is so any business can be conducted and warm-ups can happen) and a start time.  Actors/crew who do not participate are rare and usually brought "back in line" by others in the production.  

Okay, now I feel long winded.  I hope this is helpful.  I just can't imagine starting without warming-up.  To me it feels like teaching without a plan.  

Raenell Smith
    Speech, Theatre, English Teacher
    Clark Pleasant Community School Corporation
    Whiteland IN

• 5.  RE: Warmups

Posted 07-31-2015 08:10

Josh,

I have felt the same way about warmups in class, but ultimately, I do think it's important as it cultivates a disciplined, self care routine for students to utilize in their future exploration of theater-related studies. Perhaps you just need to find your own "way" that speaks to you?

I teach a drama class to high school students that is Meisner/Hagen based. During the fall semester, we focus on environment. I have them doing a private, breath-led warmup which moves from the floor with stretches and eyes closed to eventually (a week or to into the class) moving around the space, skipping, laughing, crying. I call it an "emotional" warmup for lack if a better term, because they are releasing emotional "baggage" with their breath/voice while warming up physically. When they are done, they are engaged, open, and emotionally and physically ready to start class. It takes a lot of coaching and pushing to guide them to a place they feel safe enough to explore, but I have found this very successful.

My spring semester class is focused on accessing character through physical means. I teach mime and other movement related exercises, so this warmup is much more structured with different kinds of isolations, strength building exercises, and group work. So, basically the warmup is crafted to fit the section we are exploring. 

Hope this helped!

Jen

Jennifer Jordan
    Drama and Dance Director
    Miss Hall's School
    Pittsfield MA

• 6.  RE: Warmups

Posted 07-31-2015 10:27

I didn't actually become consistent with doing warm-ups until the last year or so.  Because our rehearsals are after school many students have to check with academic teachers for tutoring which means they can be several minutes late to rehearsal.  If I wait for them then we all start late.  So I started a physical warm up prior to every rehearsal and have found that it gives them the opportunity to let go of the day mentally and prepare physically.  I have been using "Crunchy Granola" from Fosse because it starts slowly allowing for stretches and such and builds to a more aerobic tempo.  The kids know that when that music starts they should hustle to the space.  I make it up as I go along so they have to follow me however I use some combinations of movement so they have some familiarity.  I will continue this process for sure.

Wendy Short-Hays
    Director of Performing Arts
    Visitation School and Saint Thomas Academy
    Mendota Heights MN

• 7.  RE: Warmups

Posted 07-31-2015 12:16

Hello Mr. Kauffman!

As a junior in high school, I can agree that warm-ups aren't always my favorite activity.  With that in mind, I do enjoy vocal warm-ups that are connected to something I know and am aware of as a teenager.  I participate in a student-run A Cappella group at my school, and in our warm-ups I like to incorporate rounds from shows like Rent, Wicked, or even pop music.  It can be great ice-breaker and get kids taking part in the music more than they would with a classic vocal exercise.  I agree that while warm-ups consume time and can be hard to institute, they make a big difference in student performance and participation.  The only other idea I have is to make a routine of them.  Warm-ups used to be half-hearted in some of our choral groups as well, but setting a precedent that rehearsals always start with some form of warm-up will help you integrate it and establish it more effectively than if you occasionally incorporate them to practices.  These are things I have noticed work well in my school, and I hope they might be helpful for you!  

Grace Alt
    ITO Vice Chair
    Wyndmoor PA

• 8.  RE: Warmups

Posted 07-31-2015 18:57

Josh, 

I feel the exact same way. For me, I don't like doing them before class because they always end up taking longer than I want them to. I do a five minute bell work/acting challenge activity at the start of each class and randomly select one group to perform theirs. I find that is enjoyable for all and unifying at the same time. 

Warm ups have always been my issue as well; don't like them; feel badly about it. So, for rehearsals, I teach my cast how to do them properly. We practice them together and then I take myself out of the equation. My stage managers lead warm-ups for the remainder of our rehearsals. I have so much to do right after school that this one piece needs to be happening as I arrive. 

My students LOVE team building games, so they always play one right after warm ups, then turn rehearsal over to me. 

Liz Norling
    Glendale AZ

• 9.  RE:Warmups

Posted 08-01-2015 21:34
    Can you describe some of your "acting challenges." I am intrigued by this idea.

-------------------------------------------
    Heather Brandon
    Bakersfield CA

Sent via Higher Logic Mobile

• 10.  RE: Warmups

Posted 08-02-2015 16:15

Yes.  MY acting challenges begin with me posting the challenge on a powerpoint slide.  They are to enter the room quietly, go directly to their team's location in the room and read the challenge for the day. They have five minutes to prepare a "scene" following the given parameters.

For example:

"You have five minutes to create a scene where every character wants something from another character in the scene.  By the end of the scene, you must decide who gets what they want (if anyone) and what impact that has on each character in the scene."

or

"You have five minutes to create a scene that has no dialogue. Use your bodies to tell a story that has a beginning, middle, and end and a strong central conflict."

Most of the time the acting challenge relates to what we're doing in class. Also, the scene needs to be no longer than one minute. If you stick to this formula, (Five minutes of prep/ One minute of performance) then all teams get to show their piece.  If they're having a lot of fun preparing their scenes and you see good teamwork, let them go a bit longer but do let them know that because of time constraints, you will be randomly choosing one team to perform.  

Liz Norling
    Glendale AZ

• 11.  RE:Warmups

Posted 08-02-2015 21:43
    Thanks! I love this idea and think it is a great alternative to a warm-up.

Heather Brandon
    Bakersfield CA

Sent via Higher Logic Mobile

• 12.  RE: Warmups

Posted 08-07-2015 09:11

I LOVE this.  Do you have a list or collection of these scenarios you'd be willing to share/email?  This would be wonderful.  Especially since I was going to start this whole "team" scenario for the year!!  gamecockjen@yahoo.com

Jennifer Simmons
    Lexington SC

• 13.  RE: Warmups

Posted 08-09-2015 17:41

Liz, this is awesome. I'd love to see a list or collection, too, if you are willing to share. 

juliettebeck@hotmail.com

Thanks to everyone in regards to this great topic/thread!

Juliette Beck
    Head of Theatre, Teacher, Troupe Director
    Albuquerque NM

• 14.  RE: Warmups

Posted 08-20-2015 18:17

Liz, 

I would love to see the acting challenges file if you don't mind sharing. 

Angela Howard
    Drama/Musical Theate/Showchoir Teacher
    Horry County Schools.
    Murrells Inlet SC

• 15.  RE: Warmups

Posted 08-01-2015 10:55

I tell my Intro to Theatre students that our warm-ups are one of the most important things we do. I require them to stand in a circle silently with excellent posture and no fidgeting until all are set. (Standing still with good posture is almost NEVER done by these kids.) I tell them that there is power in stillness, and having great posture makes anyone look smarter and garners more respect...that this will help them in any and every job interview and any time they need to truly be taken seriously. Then we go through a short series of stretches. If anyone talks or fools around, we simply begin again. For these students, even a couple minutes of this kind of self control is a stretch, but so good for them. Then, by the time I have some of them in Intermediate or Advanced classes, the routine is just part of life. They realize the benefit of simply focusing their attention away from the outside and onto the task ahead.

To be honest, the main reason I do them is to have a couple minutes of complete quiet in the theatre!

Dawn Coyan
    Manteca CA

• 16.  RE: Warmups

Posted 08-02-2015 23:35

I have a sheet of various tongue-twisters that all the theatre classes and extracurricular casts use.  I really believe that the compliments we get on the actors diction is because we do these consistently.  And because the standard warm-up is always the same, I can kick it off and then gather materials, enter attendance, etc., while the students do them.  (When we do a musical, we add musical warm-ups.)  

The physical warm-up we always do is the eight-count shake-out, which is simply shaking the right arm 8 times, left arm 8 times, right leg 8 times, left leg 8 times, then reducing by one number until you're down to 1, 1, 1, 1.  We usually follow that with various other physical warm-ups, but if we are rushed for time, that simple shake-out suffices.   

Having something consistent as the bare minimum is key for me.   

C. J. Breland
    Asheville NC

• 17.  RE: Warmups

Posted 08-03-2015 01:31

I'm terrible with warm ups.  To the point that one of my kids attended an acting camp this summer and then emailed me and said "can we start doing warm ups?"  Um, yes, we can.  It wasn't something that was done consistently in my training, unfortunately, and with so little time (45 minutes of class!) I barely have time to get through what I want to, let alone warm ups.  But I know I need to make time this year, both at the beginning of class and at the beginning of rehearsal.

I would love any resources y'all have for your warmups - descriptions/instructions for warm ups your kids love, links to good ideas, book titles, whatever.  I need to get on this!

Laura Steenson
    Theatre Director
    Reynolds High School
    Troutdale OR

• 18.  RE: Warmups

Posted 08-03-2015 05:32

Feel the pain, and as you can see from the various responses, you're in good company. :)

This year I will be starting to incorporate a physical warm-up for my students that runs 7 minutes, involving some stretching and calisthenics (push-ups, wall sits, crunches, step-up). I use an app called 7 minute trainer to run through the sequence, set to lively banging techno. Then there will be some vocal warm up based on a mixed hodge podge of things remembered/collected.

I do think the warm up centers the student to class and to rehearsal, and I notice the difference between when we do and when we don't. Research supports increased brain functioning through exercise, which is why we will be doing a fairly rigorous 7 minute physical warm up in all my classes (Tech Theatre and probably Creative Writing, as well).

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Hillsborough County Schools
    Ruskin FL

• 19.  RE: Warmups

Posted 08-04-2015 12:33

Warmups are habits and the mark that it is time to get down to business.  If anyone has read "The Creative Habit" by Twyla Tharpe, you can see why they are important. Even if it is "boring", we are consistent. By the time they reach a performance, it all becomes muscle memory. There's comfort in consistency, too! I can do this in my sleep, and that's fine.

Here's my warmup, if anyone is interested. It all takes about 5 minutes when all is done. During my drama 1 class, I add layers as we do units; so, I don't add vocals until we have vocals in our scenes.

-I always start exactly the same: Shakedown! The kids lead this before the show and the sound of 1, 2, READY GO! is sweet.

-then a big deep breath. Come into the space!

-The physical warmup is an abbreviated circus warmup I learned once!  "Reach UP! Reach out! Reach down!" They stretch up, out, and flop over and stretch.

-Roll your head, your shoulders, your hands, your hips, your knees, your ankles.  Gives a sense of connecting to the whole body. 

-Blow through your lips and do vocal elevators.

-Vowels: sound it out, say it silly: "A, E, I, O, U and sometimes Y and even more sometimes W!"

-then a few vocal warmups and tongue twisters, depending on our fwhat we are doing. Sometimes they do these vocal warmups in character.

-I'm still looking for the right "button" to end warmups on. I have done a few Energy type things, but nothing that is simple and we can do it every day. Still looking! Sometimes we just do a big, hands-in, cheer.

-before performances, the entire cast and crew does a Focus, where they have to count to 10 (or higher - they set it). They gather in a circle/huddle, all close their eyes, and without otherwise communicating, one person at a time, count to 10. If two people speak at once, they just all take a deep breath and start over. I dont do it in class often, but it us a great ensemble moment.

hope this helps someone!

Kandace A
    Drama Teacher
    Bellingham WA

• 20.  RE: Warmups

Posted 08-05-2015 08:11

Please keep this thread going! I am copying every single one of these and so far it seems that you all have a different take. 

Thank you all!

Warren Kerr
    Theatre Arts Teacher
    Auburn School District
    Auburn WA

• 21.  RE: Warmups

Posted 08-07-2015 09:19

I will also add -

On my warm up, yes the kids get sick of it and they start to phone it in.  When they do that, I have done a pop quiz for them on it. Basically, it is body and voice...if they only say it, they get 50%, if they only move, they get 50%, if they just stand there, it's a zero.  I only had to do it one time and I physically gave them a piece of paper that had their grade on it and said that for this round, it isn't going in the grade book, but the next time it is.  I didn't have to do that again....

Jennifer Simmons
    Lexington SC

• 22.  RE: Warmups

Posted 08-16-2015 21:38

Josh

I feel much the same way. I was not trained with class warmups and show warmups were limited. Coupled with limited time and the constant class interruptions I have been very limited.

I was planning on trying to incorporate warmups into classes in a small way this year, this will definitely provide me a strong base for the year. 

One other warmup that I learned from a friend that she learned from one of her NYU professors; get your cast in a circle, eyes closed. One person (usually me) starts a tempo, usually by tapping a foot on the floor. From there, everyone contributes a noise of some kind. Sometimes this beat-boxing toe-tapping makes fun music. Sometimes it just creates noise.
    One note: You may want to tell your kids no words are allowed. It can lead to someone saying something to break concentration. 

The first time we did it, I cued one of my 12th graders what we were doing, and told no one else what we were doing. The others fell in line and it was beautiful. It has been mixed results, but the kids enjoy it. 

Seth Cohen
    Redondo Beach CA