Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Devised Theatre

Posted 07-20-2015 07:18

Anyone had any success is devising entirely original work with their students?

As a younger man/student, I was involved in creating several pieces of original, devised pieces, sometimes entire shows. I had excellent teachers, so I am having difficulty in trying to piece together how they went from 20-40 individuals in a room to a polished piece of theatre with a rough story arc that somehow magically came together.

I've read 'Strategies for Play-Building' and was able to get so far in terms of applying it to classroom practice. I think I will return to it, as it has excellent ideas for getting from point A to B. I also have Frantic Assembly's book on devising sitting in my Kindle library, and am about to test-out Jessica Swale's 'Drama Games for Devising' in a one-week summer camp coming up in two weeks.

What successes have any of you had with devised work? What process or processes, what book, what text, have you used that helped you create a sustained piece of theatre? I really want to be able to give my students the tools and guide them into creating original work, one because its an extremely valuable educational and life experience, and two, paying out the license fees for 8-10 shows a year is proving somewhat expensive.

Any advice or guidance, suggestions and such would be stellar!

------------------------------
    Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Hillsborough County Schools
    Ruskin FL

• 2.  RE: Devised Theatre

Posted 07-20-2015 12:39

My cousin did a devised piece this past spring.  I loved it.  She's getting ready to head to China to teach but I'll mention this post to her and hopefully she can find time to respond to you.

Laura Steenson
    Theatre Director
    Reynolds High School
    Troutdale OR

• 3.  RE: Devised Theatre

Posted 07-21-2015 07:40

I have done several devised prices with my advanced theater class.  We have a "Writing Across The Curriculum" initiative and this has been a good way for me to incorporate writing into my theater classes.  The subjects ranged from women's issues to economic disparity to the search for an individual identity.  We do a lot of improv in class and I also use a "wall of post-its" in my room where students post ideas and pose questions that are then used to fuel improvs and individual writing.  The hardest part is often getting the group to agree on an initial theme or idea.  I brought in one of our dance teachers one year to help the students create a movement piece, and this past year they worked with one of our English teachers to find poems that reflected the subject they were working on and added those poems to their own writing.  In a some years, due to time restrictions, I have had to gather up all the material that they created and put it into a shape or final form, but the students always had the opportunity to edit or change that structure.  We do one performance of their piece at the end of the semester, as part of our Winters Tale Theater Festival.
    Susan Speidel
    Chairman of the Performing Arts Department
    Morristown-Beard School
    Springfield NJ

• 4.  RE: Devised Theatre

Posted 07-21-2015 09:18

I use the following three books to create devised pieces with my advanced theatre classes. Clifford & Hermann's book addresses creating a finished production. Rohd's is more about using theatre to open conversation in a community. I am sure that you are familiar with Boal's work.

Clifford, Sara and Anna Herrmann Making a Leap: Theatre of Empowerment

Rohd, Michael Theatre for Community Conflict & Dialogue

Boal, Augusto Games for Actors and Non-Actors

Marla Blasko
    Theatre Arts Director
    Columbia MD

• 5.  RE: Devised Theatre

Posted 07-21-2015 16:35

Hi Phillip;

I have done several one acts this way and plan on doing one this year for my festival piece.  I usually start with a general discussion about "what does the group want to say?" Once we know what our subject matter is, I assign monologue writing. From there, we start to examine what would happen if the character from this monologue had a conversation with the character from that one.  Those "meetings" are improvised and tweaked.  It's kind of like putting together a jigsaw puzzle after that.  Where would all these people have met?  Did any of them have relationships prior to the story?  What is their back story? etc.  I feel it is vital to have a very efficient AD or SM to take copious notes and convert improvised scenes into script form.

This is a very organic process and usually the results tell a completely different story than was originally conceived.  Be flexible with the story, but not with your actors.  They must produce the assignments (monologues and written scenes) and they must be aware that much of what they do will end up "on the cutting room floor."  They must also realize that if they want substantial roles they must do substantial work.

Break legs and I hope this helps.

Robert DiMartino
    Theatre Teacher
    Cumberland High School
    West Warwick RI

• 6.  RE: Devised Theatre

Posted 07-22-2015 06:10

thank you, wonderful suggestions!

I am familiar with Boal...but it's been a while! Need to dust off my copy and re-read it! I also have the Theatre for Conflict book on my shelf, also unread...sheesh!

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Hillsborough County Schools
    Ruskin FL

• 7.  RE: Devised Theatre

Posted 07-23-2015 09:10

Hello Phillip:

I'll just my own perspective to this.  There are as many ways to devise as there are teachers/theatre companies who use it. After much experimentation,   I have done devised pieces every year for the past 10 years with my 8th grade students, I notice that even for me each year is different and that's the beauty and the difficulty of working in this way.  But I do have a general process that I follow(very outlined):

1  Begin with ensemble training--viewpoints and much of the ideas from Rohd's book (already mentioned and an absolute must--see my own bibliography at the end of this) to build a sense of ensemble, trust and community. I believe this is the key and is often skipped.

2.  Develop material.  Generally we begin with physical work--boal and rohd are good on this.  I might suggest general ideas to begin our work, for example last year we worked with the idea of:  Things that astonish us. Other times I use viewpoints and have 10 students "doing" the activities from that training method and the rest of us observe and discuss what we "notice". Out of this we make lists, create images with our bodies, interpret each others images, which leads to more lists.  finally I see what ideas are creating the most heat, or interest for the group.  I tell the group what I've been noticing in their physical work.  From that we might have a list of a 5 things, big ideas.   (observe that I never say:  we are going to create a piece about......, or what do you want to create a piece about.).  Out of these "hot topics" we begin devising poems, scenes, monologues, movement pieces, songs, (whatever the group wants to in order to explore), we present these to each other and the group decides which one will become our "theme".

3.  Then we use this theme and go back to Boal and Rohd's image work, using the agreed on theme or idea and continue working that way, each day creating more material (I have 5 notetakers each day who write what they are observing and give me their notes, which I compile and collate and try and make sense of every saturday in a cafe or bar, whichever works for you).  Groups will create scenes, etc. based on this work.

4.  I have a sub group that meets at this point that is composed of students interested in developing a frame story, something that ties all the individual pieces that are developing into a coherent story.  Example:  one year we explored the ideas of secrets, and secrecy, and our frame story was about a girl who was disappointed in how many secrets there were in the world and she soon found out that she was able to "see" the secrets everyone had (which were our individual scenes, monologues, etc.).   

5.  I take all this and for better or worse I compile it into a 60-75 minute play and then treat it as a play--cast, rehearse, etc.  

Here are some of the books that informed my approach.

The Viewpoints Book: A Practical Guide to Viewpoints and Composition, Anne Bogart and Tina Landau

Young at Art: Classroom playbuilding in practice: Christine Hatton and SarahLovesy

Strategies for Playbuilding---Will Weigler

Theatre for Community, Conflict and Dialogue: Michael Rohd

Games for Actors and Non-Actors—Augosto Boal

House of Games—Chris Johnston

Acting, Learning & Change: Creating original plays with adolescents—JanMandell and Jennifer Lynn Wolf

At Play: Teaching teenagers theater—Elizabeth Swados

Richard Silberg
    Berkeley CA

• 8.  RE: Devised Theatre

Posted 07-29-2015 22:25

I have had some good results with devised theater with middle school students if I give them a structure to work with.  For example, I told them to create a short skit that would take place on a chess board.  All the characters were chess pieces and God and the Devil were directing the play.  I gave them the essential question of "what if the chess movement" affected 2 individuals in real life?  My kids are 12 and 13 so I give them a framework to guide their creativity.  It generally works well, but each group is unique.

patricia banning

Shorecliffs Middle School

San Clemente, CA