Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Questions correlated to Dramatics Magazine articles

Posted 07-17-2015 12:17

I would love to use articles from Dramatics Magazine as self-paced/independent reading projects.  Does anyone have study questions associated with any past articles?

------------------------------
    Nancy Curtis
    Director of Theatre Arts
    Virginia Beach VA

• 2.  RE: Questions correlated to Dramatics Magazine articles

Posted 07-18-2015 07:39

I have my students read and respond to the articles in Dramatics by 1) writing a short summary of the article-- like an abstract 2) three things they learned 3) three things they could use in production of rehearsal.

I like this approach as it allows them some freedom to pick articles they are interested in and seems to me to be a pretty relevant assignment in terms of college/industry prep.

Hope that helps.

Michael Johnson
    Trinity NC

• 3.  RE: Questions correlated to Dramatics Magazine articles

Posted 07-18-2015 09:35

Nancy (and anyone else interested),

I have done this with several technical theatre articles for my tech theatre class.  Some are from Dramatics, while others are not.  Email me at rpalasz@lcscmail.com and I can send you what I have when I get back to school in a week.

Something else that I do is have students read a trade article once each quarter.  Now keep in mind that I am a tech theatre teacher, so the focus of the article is technical theatre.  They then write a short report that gives me the works cited entry in MLA formatting (gives them practice with that!), a summary, information about what they learned, and how they see it helping them in their work as a technician.  I do this so kids who really like sound can read up on that even if we are not doing sound work at that time, etc.  I have several free mags that I get, plus many have free online articles.  I offer it as something that might work for you.

Ray

Raymond Palasz
    Schererville IN