Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Alice in Wonderland

Posted 07-10-2015 16:14

Hello friends,

I am looking for a good version of Alice in Wonderland for high school students to perform...  not a musical version.  Any ideas?  There are so many out there and I don't even know where to begin.  I would like to utilize a lot of cast members with diverse backgrounds.  Thanks for your suggestions
    ------------------------------
    Sharon Chadwick
    Las Vegas NV

• 2.  RE: Alice in Wonderland

Posted 07-10-2015 16:35

I'm actually a big fan of Alice V Wonderland, and it is a different look on the story.  I have a copy Sharon you can borrow.

Also there is some good versions I've read through Dramatic Publishing I thought were well done.

Alan Strait
    Teacher
    CCSD
    Henderson NV

• 3.  RE: Alice in Wonderland

Posted 07-10-2015 22:49

Jo Lane created an adaptation that is available in the library, I believe.  I did the Tim Kelly version from Pioneer and it was great for middle school but I haven't decided if I'd do it with high school or not.

Laura Steenson
    Theatre Director
    Reynolds High School
    Troutdale OR

• 4.  RE:Alice in Wonderland

Posted 07-11-2015 01:11
    I do have a version. I'll email it to you.

-------------------------------------------
    Jo Lane
    Theatre Teacher and Director
    Portland Public Schools
    Portland OR
    -------------------------------------------

Sent via Higher Logic Mobile

• 5.  RE: Alice in Wonderland

Posted 07-11-2015 08:18

we created our own adaptation this past year directly from the novel. I believe its the most authentic version out there using only Carroll's own words. we had a large cast and abstract staging. Would be glad to send you a script and video. Just email me.

Ron Parker
    Appleton WI

• 6.  RE: Alice in Wonderland

Posted 07-11-2015 12:19

Hi Sharon,

I couldn't find a version I liked a few years ago myself. Scripts have good inclusion of the dialogue, but excluded or awkwardly adapted my favorite (and best) parts of the language in the narration. It's the sly humor of the narration that makes the book so appealing to adults. I decided to create my own adaptation, and I incorporated all parts of the text with character activated narration. Characters speak lines of narration as if it is dialogue. It's like fully blocked and produced Reader's Theater. All of the language is from the original. While it's a challenging style for actors, it's quickly accepted by the audience. It's not a musical, but there is some music that students composed.

Because the text is so full of Alice's thoughts, I broke Alice's internal monologue into five parts, representing different aspects of her personality that help her deal with the world. (Hey, I just realized, it's kind of like the new Pixar movie Inside Out!) This means I had great parts for women and a large cast even if I did some doubling.

It's been produced now at several schools in FL, OR, & WA. If you're interested, let me know and I'll send you a copy to read.

Barb Lachman
    Shoreline WA

• 7.  RE: Alice in Wonderland

Posted 07-11-2015 22:24

Hi Sharon.  I also have a version that I adapted a while ago, and I have dusted it off to perform this year with my students! I'd be happy to send you a copy if you are interested!  I'd love to see my version performed somewhere else, and there would be a DEEP DISCOUNT on the royalties!  Jmbeech@hotmail.com

just to give you an idea, you can  go to zamphotography.com to see photos from the Wakefield Theatre Company version in the archive.

I know you don't want a musical version, but mine brought in the dance department for the Jabberwocky sequence, which brought together two departments and made the administration very happy! No songs, just a very creative dance sequence that was student choreographed.  

J. Michael Beech
    Gastonia NC

• 8.  RE: Alice in Wonderland

Posted 07-14-2015 01:48

I have a musical version titled "Alice" by Diane Doyle and music by Diane King Vann.  It is a musical version that includes short songs and the running time of the show is about 50-60 minutes and comes with tracks.  I have done the show a few times with a teen cast performing for K-3 students.  It has all the classic characters-Cheshire Cat, Mad Hatter, Caterpiller, Red Queen, the Cards, Flowers (lots of roles) etc... contact dkvonstage@gmail.com    I have some production photos if you are interested as well.

Kathy Cannarozzi-Harris
    Chairperson Of Visual And Performing Arts
    Laguna Hills CA

• 9.  RE: Alice in Wonderland

Posted 07-14-2015 07:44

I wrote and produced our version this year and it was fun.  I kept pretty true to the original text, but did also add some material from The Looking Glass as well because some of those iconic scenes were important for me to have in there for fun.  My version is only a one-act.  However, one thing that I did change for my own benefit, was that for one of the transformations that Alice makes, I had her "transform" into someone else.  She acknowledges that "oh my.  I look and sound completely different.  Oh well.  I suppose I've been all sorts of sizes today that changing my shape isn't all too surprising."  It allowed me to split the role so that I could have two Alices per show and that each Alice didn't have the brunt of the show on their shoulders. 

Jennifer Simmons
    Lexington SC