Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  character Masks

Posted 07-07-2015 22:38

I'm looking to buy a really nice set of character masks for my advanced theatre class. Does anyone know where I can get some? The only place I found was in Europe, and my district is unable/unwilling to purchase from over seas...

------------------------------
    Karissa Talty
    Troupe Director
    Springfield MO

• 2.  RE: character Masks

Posted 07-08-2015 07:14

What type of masks are you looking for? Commedia? Masquerade? Full head covering latex political masks?

This one is based in Arizona, and they have Commedia and a whole bunch of other masks, prices seem reasonable (Capitano around $50, Scaramouche around $45, etc)

Mardi Gras Costume Shop | Costumes Phoenix, Scottsdale Arizona

Mardigrascostumeshop remove preview

Mardi Gras Costume Shop | Costumes Phoenix, Scottsdale Arizona
    Costume in Phoenix/Scottsdale. Mardi Gras Costume Shop is Arizona's largest, year round professional resource for the best costumes: sales, rentals, and custom costumes, designed and built.
    View this on Mardigrascostumeshop >

The best resource looks like an Australian site, masks4schools.com... Which is a shame, as they have great mask sets and educational resources which I have to admit I'm kinda getting an itchy credit card hankering for...

Keep searching! Can you buy the materials yourself and then get reimbursed by the school drama account? These are educational resources, right? Usually when I need something for whatever Drama related purpose, I buy the item myself and then turn in the receipts to the school to take care of. Might be an option to consider...

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Hillsborough County Schools
    Ruskin FL

• 3.  RE: character Masks

Posted 07-08-2015 07:36

I can heartily recommend www.theatre-masks.com, the website of mask-maker Jonathan Becker.  The quality of his products (we bought a set of Greek theatre masks some years ago, and they are still in great condition!) is superb, and the prices are reasonable if one is thinking of the masks as a long-term investment.  The actors told me they are comfortable to wear, not too heavy and not odorous.  Check out this site, and good luck!

Joanne Buyniski
    Whitinsville MA

• 4.  RE: character Masks

Posted 07-08-2015 08:30

If you are looking for Commedia masks, I have ordered from theatre-masks.com and they are wonderful and much more reasonably priced than others that I found.  They are also very durable.

Kristie Bach
    Retired Theatre Teacher
    Traverse City MI

• 5.  RE: character Masks

Posted 07-08-2015 10:21

We purchased a set of character and commedia masks from Theater-Masks and I've found them very useful when we do Laban work.

Here is the site for good masks:   Custom Theatre Masks, Commedia Masks, & Character Masks Theater Masks

Theater-Masks.com remove preview
    Custom Theatre Masks, Commedia Masks, & Character Masks Theater Masks
    High-quality custom theatre masks and predesigned theater masks for performance, education, and decorative use.
    View this on Theater-Masks.com >

John Perry
    Drama Instructor
    Atherton High School
    Louisville KY

• 6.  RE: character Masks

Posted 07-08-2015 10:43

Hi Karissa,

My husband has a series of masks that are copies of Lecoq's character masks. He has made copies of these in the past for colleges. I have used them with great success in my Drama classes. Message me if you would like more info.

Jen

Jennifer Jordan
    Drama and Dance Director
    Miss Hall's School
    Pittsfield MA

• 7.  RE: character Masks

Posted 07-09-2015 14:27

I do units were the kids make their masks both in Greek Theatre and Commedia.  We start with a chinette paper plate and build it from the ground up with poster board and tissue and papier maiche.  We use several layers of different color paper so the students could see what they needed to cover each day.  We would work on the masks the first part of the  period and then work on scripts and rehearsals the later part of the period.  Look online for making masks with paper plates, there are some good basic foundations you can build upon.  The students really get into the assignments first year students do a Greek play, which they write in the style of Greek scripting, and the characters can be anything but human.  I have found that removing the human factor the students actually become more creative and develop much more beautiful masks.  The Second year students study Commedia and create a zambaldoni with the scenerios, lazzi, and character developments.  They study the masks and costumes and then create the masks in a similar fashion as the Greek plays. The results have been amazing and most students can't wait to take them home and show them off.  The learning that happens is staggering. It's something to  think about anyway.  Best of luck! 
    Kelly Thomas
    Mesquite TX

• 8.  RE: character Masks

Posted 07-15-2015 12:49

SLSMasks - Quality Leather Masks

Is an affordable mask maker who does high quality work. All of his masks are made from leather and are very comfortable and very durable. 

SLSMasks - Quality Leather Masks remove preview
    SLSMasks - Quality Leather Masks
    SLSMasks, designed by Scott L. Schoonover, are one of a kind Leather Masks. Each mask is hand-crafted, shaped, and painted.
    View this on SLSMasks - Quality Leather Masks >

is

Alex Moore
    Theatre Arts Director
    St. Louis MO