Open Forum

View Only

Monologues

• 1.  Monologues

Posted 07-06-2015 16:15

Hello! I haven't been on Community for quite a while and I was browsing through the Library on here and it came to my attention that there isn't a Library Post for strictly Monologues. Being a college student about to graduate, monologues are something that I am constantly on the look for. If we (everyone on community) could add one or two monologues to the Library, that would rock!!!

I'm just looking out for the other high school & college students and grads who are always in need!

------------------------------
    Grae Greer
    Marshall University
    Huntington WV

• 2.  RE: Monologues

Posted 07-06-2015 16:57
      |   view attached

Funny you brought this up.  I was actually getting ready to post a thread on something I've found to build the monologue "catalogue".  I created a monologue information sheet that the students have to fill out and turn in with a copy of the monologue.  I made my students do it the second semester and have around 800 monologues in a binder now.

I am posting the paper to get feedback from people as to how they would improve it. Whether it be different questions, different format, or areas not covered that someone would deem important.  Feel free to offer any suggestions or to take and use as you wish.

I am also making one for scenes and thinking of doing one for musical numbers as well, although we already use the musicaltheatersongs.com for that.

As for a specific list for students from different schools, maybe creating a list on google docs could help.  I always tell my students to read as much as possible.
    Alan Strait
    Teacher
    CCSD
    Henderson NV

Attachment(s)

• 3.  RE: Monologues

Posted 07-06-2015 17:42

Ah! You ROCK! Are you going to create a link or a dropbox file so that others could use it as a great resource? I'd LOVE to get a hold of your collection! You seem like such an awesome teacher! Continue to encourage your students to read read read!!

Grae Greer
    Marshall University
    Huntington WV

• 4.  RE: Monologues

Posted 07-07-2015 13:31

Great ideas! Grae, I saw that you created the library entry for Monologues. Something important to know is that currently, library entries in the Community aren't collaborative like Google Docs, so only the person who created it (or an Administrator) has the ability to edit or add to it. To me, that's an opportunity to experiment with the library feature. Here's how I think it could work:

People who wanted to submit a monologue suggestion can fill out Alan's form and send it to you, then you could add it to your existing library entry (if you're not sure how to do this, let me know and I'll send instructions, it's not difficult). If a ton get submitted to you, feel free to send some my way and I can help add them into the file too!

I turned Alan's form into a Smart Form to make it a little easier to fill out and send in online, it's attached. Let me know if you're interested and I'll help you all make it work!

Monologue Information Sheet-1-Smart.pdf

Ginny Butsch
    Community Manager
    Educational Theatre Association
    Alexandria KY

• 5.  RE: Monologues

Posted 07-08-2015 18:27

Please please please pass them on to me! I'll post all that are sent! 

Grae Greer
    Marshall University
    Huntington WV

• 6.  RE: Monologues

Posted 07-07-2015 13:51

Alan - that's brilliant. please let me know how/if I can help at all. 

John Friedenberg
    Director Of Theatre
    Department of Theatre & Dance
    Winston-salem NC

• 7.  RE: Monologues

Posted 07-08-2015 23:55

Right now I just have the two binders.  What I am going to work on some this summer is starting to create a database.  I should be able to have one posted by the middle of August.

Here's the question I have, what changes would anyone recommend to the form?  What things do you tell your students to look for in a monologue?

Alan Strait
    Teacher
    CCSD
    Henderson NV

• 8.  RE: Monologues

Posted 07-08-2015 06:48

I attached the beginnings of my own database for not just monologues, but also for duologue, ensemble, solo musical, duet musical, blah blah blah. I separated the two categories of singing and acting, as they were getting unwieldy as a single file. This works great for our school as we add to it from student suggestions, and the excel doc is categorized according to gender, the play title is given, author, and a brief summary of what the scene is about. Please feel free to take it, modify it, add to it, repost it.

Alan, I'd also love to see your 800+ list!!!

Here's a quick link to the library where I posted this catalogue:

Open Forum - EdTA - Educational Theatre Association

Schooltheatre remove preview
    Open Forum - EdTA - Educational Theatre Association
    View the selected document's details
    View this on Schooltheatre >

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Hillsborough County Schools
    Ruskin FL

• 9.  RE: Monologues

Posted 07-08-2015 11:23

I'd just like to add that I have at least 50 monologues and duets on my website, all from published plays, that are free to download, print, photocopy, etc...

I have a bunch more from newer plays that I'm in the process of uploading as well.

Don Zolidis Playwright - Monologues

Donzolidis remove preview
    Don Zolidis Playwright - Monologues
    Please feel free to print these monologues and use them for whatever you wish. (Unless you intend to pass them off as yours and sell them to Hollywood for millions of dollars, in which case I will chase you down and congratulate you on selling them to Hollywood, then I will sue you.)
    View this on Donzolidis >

Don Zolidis
    Cedar Park TX

• 10.  RE: Monologues

Posted 07-09-2015 06:22

Maybe the only thing, Alan, is to add a line for approximate age of the character in the monologue. Arguably, that could be one of the 'Notes' at the bottom of the page, but then again, age should be something that's recorded for every monologue piece.

Do you want to include a two-three sentence summary of the whole play? What's the story behind the monologue/the context? Again, this might already be incorporated into the objective/action/tactics part.

I think the form is excellent. My suggestions are really just nit-picking, but since you asked...!

Phillip Goodchild
    Theatre Arts Instructor/Assistant Department Head of English
    Hillsborough County Schools
    Ruskin FL

• 11.  RE: Monologues

Posted 07-09-2015 14:08

I did forget to put the age of the character on the form.  I will do so.

Also, I tend to teach Objective, Action, Tactic (OATS)as a way to find quality monologues.  What other terminology or systems does everyone use?

Alan Strait
    Teacher
    CCSD
    Henderson NV

• 12.  RE: Monologues

Posted 07-10-2015 10:41

I would add that like Don, I have a large number of free monologues (and short scenes) from my plays available at my website--including about three dozen monologues specifically for teens:
    http://jonathandorf.com/monologues

The YouthPLAYS site has dozens and dozens of monologues for teens and other young actors, free for classroom and audition use:
    http://youthplays.com/monologues.php

Happy databasing!

Cheers,
    Jonathan

Jonathan Dorf
    Playwright/ Co-founder of YouthPLAYS/ Co-chair of The Alliance Of Los Angeles Playwrights
    Los Angeles CA