Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Help. Tips. Ideas. Once Upon A Mattress

Posted 07-03-2015 02:52
    Hello everyone! So I'm very active in my schools theatre department and this upcoming year (2015-2016) will be my last time to bow in high school. Being apart of theatre I am constantly in on the weekends helping Build/Design the sets with the directors. I've done this the past 3 years and I love it and want s future in teacher theatre and set construction / design. Now this year in a senior. And in Missouri we have a "Tony's" awards for schools within a 50mile radius of the popular Broadway theater we have "Starlight theatre" 50 high schools participate and they only submit musicals and schools are nominated for awards such as. Best actor, actress. Set designs, overall productions, crews, tech and lighting. So the main point is. After working under my two directors for many years they want to submit me to the Technical Achievement this award is a non-category award is intended to recognize a student who has given his or her time for the current production and to the school’s musical theatre program overall. Students at all high school grade levels may be considered for this award; however, no more than three students who worked equally on the same technical aspect/s of the production will be considered in tandem. So they would like to submit to for technical design of a set. For Once Upon A Mattress. So I would love if I could get some tips or ideas for this amazing opportunity and how I should tackle this! Thank you all so much. -Act Well-

-------------------------------------------
    Josh Munden
    Kansas City MO
    -------------------------------------------

Sent via Higher Logic Mobile

• 2.  RE: Help. Tips. Ideas. Once Upon A Mattress

Posted 07-04-2015 18:58

Hi Josh,

You might want to be more specific about what kinds of tips you need.

But here's a start:

Read the play. It's available in a few places online. Take notes on technical necessities and ideas you get as you read. Here's one: Once Upon a Mattress Script

After reading it, watch a couple of productions. Professionally, there's a black and white video of the one where Carol Burnett is Winifred, and then a later one where she is the Queen. There are also lots of bits of other productions on YouTube. What looks do you like and what ideas do you get? Keep your mind open about technical solutions. Take notes. Since you are unlikely to be able to match the productions you will see on video, think creatively about what could work in your theater. For example, how could you make that stack of mattresses as a set piece that can be stored and moved quickly? How can you make it visually fabulous and still make sure that Princess Winifred will get lots of attention up there on top?

Are you going to design? If so, brainstorm conceptual frameworks that will hold the production together. What should your stage look like? This production is supposed to be a stylized version of a medieval town. Do research and look at lots of drawings of castles and medieval styles. Make copies and sketches of things that inspire you. What elements of the style do you want to take, exaggerate, twist, and lampoon?

Remember that every production should be different. Theater is a collaborative process and your best ideas will come as you work with your fellow artists.

Scribd remove preview
    Once Upon a Mattress Script
    Once Upon a Mattress is a musical comedy with music by Mary Rodgers, lyrics by Marshall Barer and book by Jay Thompson, Dean Fuller, and Marshall Barer. It opened off-Broadway in May 1959, and then moved to Broadway. The play was written as an adaptation of the Hans Christian Andersen fairy tale The Princess and the Pea.
    View this on Scribd >

------------------------------
    Barb Lachman
    Drama Director (former)
    Shoreline WA

• 3.  RE: Help. Tips. Ideas. Once Upon A Mattress

Posted 07-05-2015 10:10

Josh,

Are you looking for tips and design solutions for "Mattress?"

We did a production a few years back and had to find some clever solutions for a production on a rather small stage.

Let me know if this is what you are seeking. I'd be happy to share some ideas with you.  If not, please clarify what you want from the forum in terms of a set design for this musical.

You sound like a highly motivated and talented student of theatre! 

Sincerely,

Kevin

Kevin Hayes
    Director of Theatre
    Maumee Valley Country Day School
    Toledo OH

• 4.  RE: Help. Tips. Ideas. Once Upon A Mattress

Posted 07-05-2015 11:37

Here is a cautionary tale about some technical issues to address for this show:

http://www.theatreface.com/profiles/blogs/hard-floors-vs-hard-heads

Erich Friend
    Theatre Consultant
    Teqniqal Systems

• 5.  RE: Help. Tips. Ideas. Once Upon A Mattress

Posted 07-24-2015 10:29

I had a unique challenge in producing this show without the ability to "build."  We created a unit of a castle wall in the background using boxes that were the size of stones and built them up lego style.  We then used rolling indoor scaffolding that we covered up for the mattresses.  Overall, we went for an animation aesthetic for our set, and used lots of bright colors and outlined the set elements in black.  

I would speak with your directors and find out what their artisitic vision is for this production.  For example, I've done "Into the Woods" like an English storybook brought to life with everything watercolor and ink, and made open book covers that turned around to be the baker's house.  Then  "Zombie Prom" as a 1950's horror comic book, using speech bubble props, and ben day dots on sets and costumes.  When we did "OUAM," as I said, we made everything look like an animated movie.

Finally, I personally think that choosing color palettes is important in the overall aesthetic of a show.  For "Zombie Prom" our primary colors were neon green and pink, and used only black/white/neons.  For "Anything Goes," we used a nautical palette of red, white, blue, and accents of pale yellow.

While these arguably aren't the most important part of a set design, it does help your ability to create a unified design that clearly expresses a director's vision. 

Good luck!

Jessica Harms
    Tewksbury Memorial High School
    Tewksbury MA

• 6.  RE: Help. Tips. Ideas. Once Upon A Mattress

Posted 07-25-2015 07:55

I saw a really fun production once where a giant "Map of the Kingdom" would be brought out and a jester or lady in waiting would use a pointer to show the audience where the next scene was taking place. It was a fun way to deal with a small space and not a lot of set pieces. As long as your jester or other cast member makes it part of the show, the audience will accept it. You could make the gimmick as broad or low key as you want, depending on your style for the rest of the show.

Ann Hileman
    Indiana Chapter Director
    Peru IN